Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:48 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,659 Posts
Discussion
Milwaukee Boat Show 2013

By request (Tim B) here are some photos from yesterday at the MBS. The show expanded from the past few years where there was a decline in exhibitors. There is optimism out there. The main hall is full again. Focus appears to be more towards family boating with a large presence of pontoon boat makers and dealers. Across from us is a booth for a pontoon boat rental/time share club.

During the week I will shoot some pics around the show. Midweek crowds are lighter so taking photos is easier.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:10 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,206 Posts
Great photos Prins. Glad to learn there was more optimism as well. Thanks for sharing these.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:27 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,079 Posts
Prins,

Thanks for the photos. Love the large fish tug. still on my to do list.

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:36 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,466 Posts
Thanks Very much for this great start PW !

We look forward to ALL YOU HAVE.

Is the big fish tug one of Chuck's kits ?

And, how old are these sailboats please ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:01 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,659 Posts
The fish tug was scratch built by my brother Steve. After I built my 25" one he go the bug and doubled the dimensions. After he got married it languished in my basement for about 15 years. After his divorce and move home he started back up on it. He still needs to build the fuel tank in the bow, table and net lifter by the forward side door, and a two cylinder Kahlenberg engine.

The two master is a very old pond sailer our club president rescued. He got a call from somebody cleaning out a shed and it was going to go on the burn pile. It has been in the water once since it's refit. Still ships allot of water so now she is static only. The sailboat in front on the floor is a Frers 54. The Racine Model Mariners had a mold for the hull and keel. They raced these competitively in Racine harbor for many years. I'm not sure about the boat behind. These wer brought to the show by boater_dave so he can give more info.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:09 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,466 Posts
Thanks for that info, I thought the sailboat looked quite old, you can just tell by looking sometimes ~
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:34 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,260 Posts
Great pictures,
Thank You
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Looks like a great show. Thanks for the pictures!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:40 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,707 Posts
PRINS WILLEM- It is like the good old days seeing pictures of your clubs display of boats for public to see and converse with. In our club the number of outings has dwindled to only a few, with the aging and number of club members that are still active.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,932 Posts
Tim B, the model Frer 54 is over 25 years old, and the other boat is a Dumas Etchells that is about 20 years old. That kit sat on a shelf for a decade or more before being built. Both boats can be seen here...
Frer and Etchell sailing (2 min 14 sec)

The real Frer is the 54' Scaramouche built in the 70's and currently resides in Southern California. Still races, I believe.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Last edited by boater_dave; Jan 21, 2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling 'Scaramouche'
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:14 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,466 Posts
Thanks Dave !
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:23 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,659 Posts
frankg we are lucky in that we are a large club with diverse interests. The club will put on a good show regardless of venue. At this show we have a decent sized booth comped to us. Not a cheap proposition for the promoter or Milwaukee Marine Dealers Association. The club endeavors to do our best for them. we actually are a bit tight on table space this year. My brother Steve's two boats take up a half table so I only took Leaky Boat Louie this year. He is kind of a mascot now. The show is almost back to it's former glory with the exhibit hall being full of dealers and vendors. we were getting worried for awhile.

A few more pics for Tim B. Chuck built a gasoline launch on an old Billings African Queen hull. The thing is like a Chinese puzzle.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:51 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,659 Posts
Here are some photos of a boat in the Glacier Lakes Antique Boat booth. She is unusual.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:00 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,466 Posts
OOOOOOH Man I'd like to see more about this boat, spent a few minutes googling and dont see anything for a 1955 Perma Craft ...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:43 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,659 Posts
Here are some selected photos from the boat show last evening. Having been at this show for several years you begin to pick up on trends. This year's show is very heavy on pontoon boats. There is a good representation of ski and runabouts. It seems that there are fewer fishing boats this year.

One other trend seem to be dark Blue hulls.

More photos later.