Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
Atleast It's in one piece
United Kingdom, North Weald Bassett
Joined Nov 2008
399 Posts
Discussion
A Couple of Multifun Questions

Hi all
I bought a Telink Multifun and before you laugh it's the only VPTR'ish glider I could afford here in blighty.
I'm going to cover it with solar film/trim to try and make it a bit more slippery and I've moved the wings back 15mm hoping that will help with the tail heavy problem.
I'm also going to cut the ailerons off and make some stiffer ones and centre hinge them or I might stiffen the originals to keep some decorations.
What I would like to know is, someone mentioned fitting a ballast tube to enable ballasting so it could fly in a wider range of wind conditions, any ideas on how much ballast required?
Plus it looks as if the CofG may be bang on the wing joining wire so if only a small amount of extra weight is needed could I just fit a longer piano wire joiner, I realise this puts the weight in the wings and I'm not sure if that would affect the flying performance.

Arcright
Arcright is online now Find More Posts by Arcright
Last edited by Arcright; Aug 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:33 PM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Ive modded mine pretty much to make it flyable and to get to live up to its name.
Here is the thread with all the info. Its a fun plane when its "right"...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421638
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:59 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,199 Posts
Wot Fluffracka sez

I sold mine on before his modding info - uncovered, it only started to come alive with 6oz lead ballast on the CofG - and even then, it flew nothing like his version
try to get hold of some laminating film for the wings rather than Solarfilm - will make them much stiffer as well as smoother

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:02 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
+1 on the laminating film suggestion. In addition to Fluffracka's build, I recall that Big Gas made a pretty successful version. He used some custom wing cores with a better airfoil (I think one of the TP series) and wider span (I believe around 60") and the plane flew fine (I saw it in person but did not personally fly it). The design has potential, but needs some kitbashing to achieve it. Have fun!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2013, 01:32 AM
Joined Nov 2008
399 Posts
Hi Guys
Fluffracka thatís some pretty extensive modding there lots of good ideas so lots to think about.
I did try to find some laminating film but it appears that I would have to buy a large amount just to cover one model so solar film was the next best option.
My long term plan is to get some other wing cores cut for it, if I can get it to fly reasonable well first.
I'm going to try flying along the tidal sea defence walls, every time I'm there a stiff breeze is hitting them square on or so it appears.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Arcright
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:04 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,199 Posts
I've heard that some folks use laminating sheets/pouches from office supplies companies - A3 size might work - not used the stuff myself though

Soaring sea walls / dunes is great fun - but the Multifun may struggle, it needs good lift - DLG or Alula would work better (maybe a Weasel if you can get hold of one). For Kent, the cliffs at Beltinge / Reculver work well, but lots of paragliders.

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:54 PM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Ive used A4 pouches that I split and overlapped and it works like a charm, done that on several planes...
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
399 Posts
Hi Guys
I'll look into the laminating pouches may be away around the problem.
Phill what you say about the sea walls etc is something I thought may be a problem but I thought I would just have to suck it and see, if it all goes horribly wrong I can chop the nose off and fit a motor to it.I did consider a flying wing but I remember having one before and finding it wasn't my thing.
I'm still. going to try and make it as slippery as possible and light, I've got about five weeks to build it maiden it and then I have a week in North Yorkshire followed by a week in Scotland

Thanks for the continued input

Arcright
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:53 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
Arcright, Mark Abbotts on the RCMF UK forum sells small amounts of laminating film - PM him from here...

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?...profile;u=8528
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined Nov 2008
399 Posts
Thanks Matt
I'll give him a shout,any suggestions on thickness?

Arcright
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:13 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
I don't think there is any benifit in using the very lightest stuff on a Multifun, so try the next grade up - I think that's 3mil. Abbo will happily supply you with a few metres of each for a very reasonable price though, so hedge your bets and grab a selection (you can even use different thicknesses on different areas if you want).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Aug 24, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:27 AM
Joined Nov 2008
399 Posts
Thanks that makes sense thicker film in the areas that might be subject to more abuse. Can you tell me if this film shrinks much under heat I'm wondering what it's like on compound curves?

Arcright
Old Aug 25, 2013, 05:45 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright View Post
Thanks that makes sense thicker film in the areas that might be subject to more abuse. Can you tell me if this film shrinks much under heat I'm wondering what it's like on compound curves?
Shrinkage is very low to zero; you generally have to pleat it around compound curves, though I've never used the thinnest 1.7mil which could I suppose be different.

Lots more info available if you search on new stuff or laminating film; this thread has a video too...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Aug 26, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
I bought a Multifun a while back and covered the wings and fuse with 3mil CP lam film and the tail feathers with the 1.7. The total weight was under 17 oz. I kept it pretty much stock other than that.

I know everyone wants to turn it into somethiong else but I kinda like it the way it is. I have fun with it and other than the inverted preformance it flies ok. It is what it is!

Heres a short video of my trip to the local slope today. I'm not the greatest pilot so I can only imagine what it would do in the hands of an expert...

Rob

Multifun slope soaring (2 min 26 sec)
Buenperro is offline Find More Posts by Buenperro
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,282 Posts
Video came out really nice Rob !! Great flying and sorry but it looked better in person he he
Dick J is offline Find More Posts by Dick J