HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2014, 01:06 PM
Retired
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2014
44 Posts
Question
WL Toys V913 Dual Brushless conversion

Has anyone done this yet? I ask because my parts arrived yesterday and after install, both motors seem to work, she spooled up nicely, however I have no aileron or elevator at all. Checked all soldering joints, wire routing to no avail. I tried another servo I had and it didn't work either. I'm at a loss here folks, even tried a different receiver board (removed as suspect problem earlier) and still no luck.
farquward is offline Find More Posts by farquward
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2014, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2014
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farquward View Post
Has anyone done this yet? I ask because my parts arrived yesterday and after install, both motors seem to work, she spooled up nicely, however I have no aileron or elevator at all. Checked all soldering joints, wire routing to no avail. I tried another servo I had and it didn't work either. I'm at a loss here folks, even tried a different receiver board (removed as suspect problem earlier) and still no luck.

Hey Farquward, i am just wondering if you found the solution for what happened with your dual brushless upgrade kit? I am thinking about ordering the same kit for myself and was wondering if i could help try to figure out what went wrong. A few questions : You mentioned you even swapped out the main board but for a board that was suspect. Was it the same servo problem you are having now? I would assume you would have thought of this already but since the main board does not change with this kit im puzzles as to what is causing your lack of servo control. When you first bind the heli usually you see the red led on the main board blink from fast to slow then solid as the bird binds and also the servos, upon binding, twitch. I assume since you have no servo control this does not happen? Are you using a stock tranmitter? I have the single main brushless motor upgrade kit installed in my V913 and it works flawlessly. I would really like to help in any way to try and figure out what went wrong with your brushless install. Let me know, thanks Dan.
dan2pkheli is offline Find More Posts by dan2pkheli
Old Nov 02, 2014, 01:59 PM
Retired
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2014
44 Posts
Hi Dan, yes I sorted out the problem with the servos and did a short test flight. I swapped out the board the first time I lost the tail motor, board it turns out is fine, the tail motor was the problem. As for the red light, it did the same things it should do when everything is correct.
So why a short test flight you ask? Well, she spooled up and I got her to hover about 4' up at 1/2 stick when all of the sudden she started to piro and loose altitude fast. I eased off the throttle only for the motor to keep running and chip a tooth off the main gear. New main gear, main blade holders, main blades and of course the dual brushless conversion all installed. So far. knock on wood, no more piro's and a couple of flights all is well.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2014
63 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dan, yes I sorted out the problem with the servos and did a short test flight. I swapped out the board the first time I lost the tail motor, board it turns out is fine, the tail motor was the problem. As for the red light, it did the same things it should do when everything is correct.
So why a short test flight you ask? Well, she spooled up and I got her to hover about 4' up at 1/2 stick when all of the sudden she started to piro and loose altitude fast. I eased off the throttle only for the motor to keep running and chip a tooth off the main gear. New main gear, main blade holders, main blades and of course the dual brushless conversion all installed. So far. knock on wood, no more piro's and a couple of flights all is well.
Awesome you got it all figured out. So,in your opinion is the dual brushless kit a good one? The tail hold im hoping you will say, has been greatly improved and both the tail and the main motors spool up at the same time? How do you find the power as well? Im thinking the main brushless should be the same as the one i have installed right now but just wondering what you feel on it. Thanks Dan.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:06 PM
Retired
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2014
44 Posts
IMHO, the dual bl kit is good. Not great, but good. I think it's the long term that will tell. I hope to see a much improved life span of main and tail motors. Some of the things that I've noticed are, if you try to throttle up too fast it will go into the piro. When you throttle down there is a spot just above 0 that the main motor actually speeds up. Tail hold is somewhat better and the response is much better. This could also be due to the fact that the tail rotor is 18mm larger than original. The tail motor doesn't get warm and the main runs about 45 deg.(F) cooler than the stock one. I just did a 5 min. flight and the original battery shows 3.88v in both cells, this battery has to have at least 50 flights at 6 min. each, the main motor read 100.2 deg. F and the tail motor was at 72,0 deg. As far as power, this has the stock setup beat. The components that make up the tail boom where installed upside down from the factory. I really do like this heli, and will do my best to keep her flying. It is after all the bird that I learned to hover with and it will help me with many other aspects of learning this great sport.
Old Nov 06, 2014, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2014
63 Posts
Quote:
IMHO, the dual bl kit is good. Not great, but good. I think it's the long term that will tell. I hope to see a much improved life span of main and tail motors. Some of the things that I've noticed are, if you try to throttle up too fast it will go into the piro. When you throttle down there is a spot just above 0 that the main motor actually speeds up. Tail hold is somewhat better and the response is much better. This could also be due to the fact that the tail rotor is 18mm larger than original. The tail motor doesn't get warm and the main runs about 45 deg.(F) cooler than the stock one. I just did a 5 min. flight and the original battery shows 3.88v in both cells, this battery has to have at least 50 flights at 6 min. each, the main motor read 100.2 deg. F and the tail motor was at 72,0 deg. As far as power, this has the stock setup beat. The components that make up the tail boom where installed upside down from the factory. I really do like this heli, and will do my best to keep her flying. It is after all the bird that I learned to hover with and it will help me with many other aspects of learning this great sport.

Thanks for your response Farquward, there is some great info in there. The piro effect, i would take that to mean the heli spins on hard throttle up? Well not much different than now especially with these underpowered brushed tail motors. The main brushless kit i have now doesnt really exhibit that problem of throttling up when bringing the stick down near zero but that sounds like something i could live with. As long as its not severe enough to cause any crashes when you are trying to bring her in to land. Well, again thanks for the good information. Dan.