HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2013, 04:05 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Help!
Going to try C/L

I haven't flown a C/L model for close to 30 years and I want to do it again to check it off the list of things from my younger days. Almost got FF out of the way and it might be a nice change from R/C.

I am considering the SIG Buster or Shoestring.

Question(s) recommended fuel tank size? Line length, type, and diameter?

I have a .10 and .15 engine for choice. both are R/C but can lock throttle.

Thanks for any advice.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:13 PM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
613 Posts
The Sig Buster and Shoestring are solid balsa planes, our group used them years ago for 15-club Goodyear racing. Even though the ads for these kits say they're good for "sport flying" I can't imagine doing anything more drastic than a simple loop or wingover with one.

The Sig Ackromaster on the other hand is a 15 size plane with a built-up wing and flaps. Built with care (straight and not heavy), and using a good running 15, I would think this plane capable of the entire stunt pattern.

All of the Sig kits/plans are thorough and will show the recommended line size and length as well as the tank size. My guess for lines is 52' .012" multi-strand stainless steel (standard and readily available) Have fun!

BJM has a sale on the Ackromaster going on now.

http://www.bjm-home.com/BJMEnterprises/page18.html
WBE is online now Find More Posts by WBE
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Thanks!!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:55 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
The most pertinent question I can ask is, what level of CL flying did you reach all those years ago?

If you could perform most of the basic aerobatic manouevers as sheet wing model like the Shoestring is not going to fire you up too much after the first flight.

If you just need to do laps, I'd certainly recommend the Shoestring. It's just a nice flying model with a 15 on about 50' to 53' lines.

If you think you'll be looking for something more aerobatic, Something like an Akromaster, or a Peacemaker with a 15 again on 50' to 53' lines.

Good luck getting back into the circle.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Gregg is correct!
I'd use a clunk tank set up like this--->http://www.tulsacl.com/ClunkTank.html. You can put as little as 1 Oz in a 4 Oz clunk tank and it will work perfectly.

I found turning my feet while flying to be the most difficult thing to learn again. I was clumsy and uncoordinated. I overcame this by practicing turning around while "shadow boxing" or mimicking flying.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
As I can recall I didn't do any aerobatics unless it was by accident. I just had a Cox PT19 plastic model. I could fly out full tanks of fuel consistently and could get the model high but never loops and land good. Forgot to mention I was on the third PT19 before I could fly well. Benifit was having two spare engines.
But that was then and this is now. So even though I have years of experience with R/C, I am raw beginner level at C/L. I don't think it will be like riding a bicycle. Shouldn't have a problem tuning the engine
I will check out the shoestring.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
The Brodak Lightening Streak trainer has a solid wing. A 15 would be just fine on 52 1/2 ft 012 lines. I'd recommend that for a first airplane for you. My opinion of the Sig Buster and Shoestring is that they are fairly fragile for your purposes. Pay attention to where the CG is shown on the plan, and, if anything, get it a little forward to make a more stable, easy to fly airplane.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:58 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
736 Posts
I flew R/C pattern for 25 years and then started flying control line again 19 years ago. You won't believe the rush you will get and the smile on your face that you cannot wipe off for days. It has happened to every R/C flyer that I know of coming back and flying control line again.
Jim Kraft is online now Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:04 PM
NOT SCREWED UP
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
I flew R/C pattern for 25 years and then started flying control line again 19 years ago. You won't believe the rush you will get and the smile on your face that you cannot wipe off for days. It has happened to every R/C flyer that I know of coming back and flying control line again.

+1 !!
But be warned. It's contagious. I only recently got back into control line flying again and now have an inventory of 4 CL planes and assorted cox planes
Good luck. You will enjoy it.
Alf
alf.g is offline Find More Posts by alf.g
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:54 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
736 Posts
Oh yeah; What can I say, I like to build. LOL. Ok I have built a few more since this picture was taken a few years ago.
Jim Kraft is online now Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:20 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Nice collection! I like to build too, just short on time
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Something about seeing other modelers planes that really puts a smile on my face.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:04 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
OK I have two more questions before I pull the trigger on this deal. Being it has been close 40 years and not 30 years like I was thinking. Heck I was in the military for thirty years and didn't fly C/L then, that is where I picked up R/C. Well as long as I can find my way home each day then I am good.
Anyway back on track. Would it be smarter for me to start with an .049 before a .10 or .15 or is that not too much of an issue? and to piggyback off that question. would 35ft or 52ft lines matter? and, How about line diameter?
I think that is it.
OK experts, help me out. Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
The larger airplane is generally thought to be easier to fly. If you want to go 1/2A, and have tall grass to fly over, that is a good option, For 1/2A find the various posts on using Spectra fishing lines.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I was wondering about lines. I have used Spider Line for pull-pull setups, I chose it because it is smooth and hard to tangle.

I know bigger will fly better but does speed become an issue or the pull from centrifugal force too great for a beginner?

If starting with a .049 plane does line length become a factor due to weight of line, meaning will the model have enough power to tighten the lines or overcome the drag of the lines?

With all my years of modelling one might think I should already have the answers

I am not particular about model/engine size or line length, I just hope to get to correct combination the first time so I am not spending time trying to do it right the first time.

Where I live I don't have any areas of tall grass. My flying site will most likely be a rougher ground will a short smooth spot or hopefully an abandoned parking lot.