HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:29 AM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
796 Posts
Foam is the last nail in the coffin for creative modeling. The fast-food industry will kill all the craftsmanship. Indeed, why baking a cake when you can buy one around the corner? Faster, cheaper, easier. Looks cool, flies like a brick, who cares..
molenjin is offline Find More Posts by molenjin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:36 AM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
796 Posts
Tail-heavy, obviously

( Ok, Ok, take this one as a joke, I actually like this banana-shape )
molenjin is offline Find More Posts by molenjin
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:16 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,046 Posts
What is with the haters. Just because you like balsa and saran-rap better than fiberglass or foam, does not make you automatically have a better airplane. Until you put your money where your mouth is keep your hands off the keyboard. Form your opinion AFTER you have purchased one of these models and have had a chance to fly it. Until then, and only then does your opinion of this airplane really mater. All of us are here for a reason. We enjoy model aircraft in one way or another.

For those that would like to watch another enjoyable video of the Phoenix II check below. This video of the Phoenix is all on board POV using a camera that weighs in at 6-7oz . Enjoy.
Phoenix II Over SoCal (4 min 30 sec)
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:17 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molenjin View Post
Foam is the last nail in the coffin for creative modeling. The fast-food industry will kill all the craftsmanship. Indeed, why baking a cake when you can buy one around the corner? Faster, cheaper, easier. Looks cool, flies like a brick, who cares..
I can't agree. I own about ten fully moulded sailplanes. Nevertheless, some of the biggest fun I have at the slope comes from foam planes like the Radian Pro, Windrider Fox and Multiplex Merlin. These last two will fly amazingly well in very windy conditions.

I learned to fly with an EasyStar. I found it very stable and forgiving.

But coming to your main argument above, I am very grateful that we are seeing more and more of these foam gliders on the market. What they are doing (and the Radian and Radian Pro have proven to be the Kings here) is introducing gliding to a whole new cohort of people who might never have considered it before (probably because balsa or fiberglass gliders seemed a bit too fragile and expensive). Hopefully a lot of these people will become hooked on gliding, and will then move on to other aspects of gliding (and other types of gliders). So, the whole market gets bigger, and the result is more choice, more innovation, lower prices, etc. etc. All good stuff!

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:02 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Hey Tim,

Yup, that was out at County Line. You'll have to come out some time and give it a whirl, or just try it out when we're out at King one weekend...

You gonna be at Nall?

Chris.
Nall...I gotta wait and see how it plays out. I did the full week of SEFF this year, so I might only have a couple days at best for Nall, depending on work and family.

I will let you know as soon as I know for sure!
IFLYOS is online now Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:28 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molenjin View Post
I gotta say, this is a rather narrow view. If anything, foam models have opened up our hobby to many people that wouldn't have necessarily felt confident enough to give our hobby a try. Anything that gets more people flying is a good thing, and to say that the rest of us will stop our "creative" building is ridiculous. I consider myself a diverse modeler, and I fly a couple of foam models, but I also build and fly everything from scale planes, helis, and giant scale aerobats. Having a few foam models has not stopped me from doing so.

We get it, you don't like what you see here. Move on.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
What is with the haters. Just because you like balsa and saran-rap better than fiberglass or foam, does not make you automatically have a better airplane. Until you put your money where your mouth is keep your hands off the keyboard. Form your opinion AFTER you have purchased one of these models and have had a chance to fly it. Until then, and only then does your opinion of this airplane really mater. All of us are here for a reason. We enjoy model aircraft in one way or another.

For those that would like to watch another enjoyable video of the Phoenix II check below. This video of the Phoenix is all on board POV using a camera that weighs in at 6-7oz . Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_Hp2AV-cI
Cool vid Tim! Thanks for posting
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
I can't agree. I own about ten fully moulded sailplanes. Nevertheless, some of the biggest fun I have at the slope comes from foam planes like the Radian Pro, Windrider Fox and Multiplex Merlin. These last two will fly amazingly well in very windy conditions.

I learned to fly with an EasyStar. I found it very stable and forgiving.

But coming to your main argument above, I am very grateful that we are seeing more and more of these foam gliders on the market. What they are doing (and the Radian and Radian Pro have proven to be the Kings here) is introducing gliding to a whole new cohort of people who might never have considered it before (probably because balsa or fiberglass gliders seemed a bit too fragile and expensive). Hopefully a lot of these people will become hooked on gliding, and will then move on to other aspects of gliding (and other types of gliders). So, the whole market gets bigger, and the result is more choice, more innovation, lower prices, etc. etc. All good stuff!

Chris
Agreed!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:32 AM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts
Tim. Great video. What was the other plane you were following in the video? That was my favorite part.
scalz is offline Find More Posts by scalz
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:05 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,046 Posts
The other airplane is a Phoenix My favorite part for some reason is the approach for landing, banked over the bushes as each row passes by. Don't get me wrong, I love the air to air shots, but I really liked the approach. Thank you for the nice comment.

That video is in HD, and can be view as such by pushing that little 360p button on the YouTube window and select HD. It will take longer to load, but be more clear.
Last edited by TimJohnson; Apr 24, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:26 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdead View Post
Wow.
A review of an EPO 2m Chinese RTF/BNF electric sailplane with no comparison to the defacto standard of the EPO 2m Chinese RTF/BNF electric sailplane (read: RADIAN).
Kind of like reviewing the newest Android phone and not mentioning that Apple device...
Not saying one is better or worse, but to not even mention the relative strengths/weakness is a glaring omission.

Headead (Android fan...)
Agreed!

The Radian Pro goes one step further. One can get it PNP for under $185 and comes equipped with flaps.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:17 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Agreed!

The Radian Pro goes one step further. One can get it PNP for under $185 and comes equipped with flaps.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0881&page=2#19
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:21 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,046 Posts
I had a great flight on the Huntington Beach slopes! 17mph wind and the Phoenix felt right at home on the slope. Flying with the pelicans was a bonus! Video to follow soon.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:45 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Agreed!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0881&page=2#19
What was implied in my post is that the Radian Pro delivers more performance bang for one's buck, not only when compared to the Phoenix II, but also when compared against the original Radian.

EDIT:
Regarding those who make fun of "foamy" motorized gliders by comparing them to other build methods, I will say that foam offers an inexpensive and extremely durable "choice" to the modeler, especially to the newcomer that has never assembled one. A "choice" that flies superbly well considering its cost; "choice" meaning that it is up to the buyer how he/she spends his/her money, not on how others may think they should spend it.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Last edited by qban_flyer; Apr 26, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:56 AM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,046 Posts
If I wanted Flaps on a glider, I would have picked up something for competition flying, not sport flying........

compared to the Radian:
The Phoenix offers an under cambered wing for better glide performance.
The Phoenix has more room for more choices of battery packs and motors
The Phoenix does not use a proprietary plug that most change out.
The Phoenix does not require you to bring a tool box to the field.

Each product is going to have its strong point.

I just happen to enjoy the Phoenix.