Closed Thread
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:42 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
This is what we all need, who need extra car charger if you will use it on plane... Also you can charge with usb cable, which everyone have it already at home from any other electric stuff. But if you extra need some of this stuff you could buy separately....

I also don't understand these Chinese people
The car charger comes in handy if you need fly at a field and have no laptop for recharging the camera battery. Just about every device I buy that needs USB communication comes with a USB cable... that's why you have so many of them. This camera is no different.

Realistically, omitting the car charger and USB cable is only going to save you a few dollars... not enough to make buying another camera that much less expensive.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:33 PM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I seriously doubt anyone who doesn't know anything about computers would know about the SDformatter or where to find it. Yes, you can format the cards any number of ways, but I stick with the recommendations of the people who created the SD card specifications.
It's nice you agree now. As you stated: "so it may be a requirement of the flash memory... don't know for sure" regarding formatting it as FAT32 so I was attempting to help you out by clarifying that flash media can be formatted as anything you like. The reason for the specification using FAT32 is just so everything is standardized and any device can read/write to any card.

It's nice that you stick with using the SDformatter tool because their website stated it is the best. You are entitled to your opinion. I wasn't saying otherwise, just trying to clarify something you were not sure of.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:55 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
The car charger comes in handy if you need fly at a field and have no laptop for recharging the camera battery. Just about every device I buy that needs USB communication comes with a USB cable... that's why you have so many of them. This camera is no different.

Realistically, omitting the car charger and USB cable is only going to save you a few dollars... not enough to make buying another camera that much less expensive.
Maybe I was not clear. I may need the charger that comes with the first cam, but I don't need 6 of them if I buy 6 cams. One or maybe 2 is plenty, the rest just end up with my already huge box of now extinct chargers and cables. It's inefficient and wasteful. I'd rather get $5.00 off the price.

I probably won't use any of them though, since I have a little cigarette lighter usb jack with a 4 way splitter from Radio Shack in the car. Most new cars have usb jacks now.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:19 PM
United States, WA, Renton
Joined Apr 2011
32 Posts
I don't know if this is a first but I just received my #11 today in the mail and it has NO time stamp stock right out of the package. Sweet! I don't have to screw with FW!
rwingvr6 is offline Find More Posts by rwingvr6
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwingvr6 View Post
I don't know if this is a first but I just received my #11 today in the mail and it has NO time stamp stock right out of the package. Sweet! I don't have to screw with FW!
Yup.. I think it is a 1st.. and you did not ask them to delete it? cool.. there are more of us that aren't "spies" out here than you might think.. perhaps we are gaining some influence. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:22 PM
United States, WA, Renton
Joined Apr 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Yup.. I think it is a 1st.. and you did not ask them to delete it? cool.. there are more of us that aren't "spies" out here than you might think.. perhaps we are gaining some influence. JimS
Nope, I didn't ask them to delete it. I didn't check if the 20 thing is on there but I probably won't shoot more than 20 minutes at a time either.
I got it from this guy. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-HD-DV-key-c...item2561584a5a
rwingvr6 is offline Find More Posts by rwingvr6
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamindar View Post
It's nice you agree now. As you stated: "so it may be a requirement of the flash memory... don't know for sure" regarding formatting it as FAT32 so I was attempting to help you out by clarifying that flash media can be formatted as anything you like. The reason for the specification using FAT32 is just so everything is standardized and any device can read/write to any card.

It's nice that you stick with using the SDformatter tool because their website stated it is the best. You are entitled to your opinion. I wasn't saying otherwise, just trying to clarify something you were not sure of.
The part I was not sure of, but left out of my post, was whether the SDformatter was a requirement of the flash memory "for optimal performance" as the SD web page says. We found further back in this thread that formatting with Windows OS using different formatting block sizes that the write speed to the card could be changed, dramatically in some cases, like from 7k kbps to 10k kbps... don't know if you were reading this forum then. Then when the newer Release 2 firmware was flashed in, this changed the write speed to the card, too, even though the formatting was the same. So, it is still uncertain to me what "optimal" means, e.g. best read/write speed on average, best file integrity, security, or what?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Maybe I was not clear. I may need the charger that comes with the first cam, but I don't need 6 of them if I buy 6 cams. One or maybe 2 is plenty, the rest just end up with my already huge box of now extinct chargers and cables. It's inefficient and wasteful. I'd rather get $5.00 off the price.

I probably won't use any of them though, since I have a little cigarette lighter usb jack with a 4 way splitter from Radio Shack in the car. Most new cars have usb jacks now.
I understood what you were saying, and I agree. But when you said if you would have bought 3-4 more if you could have gotten them without the accessory cables, it sounded like the amount you thought might be saved could have substantially covered the cost of the cameras, which wouldn't be the case.

If you contact the ebay seller direct via their email, some have said they can give a slight volume discount if they don't have to process the transaction through eBay. Basically this just passes on the fee they would have to give eBay to you as a discount. But you'd still get the cables, I think.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
The part I was not sure of, but left out of my post, was whether the SDformatter was a requirement of the flash memory "for optimal performance" as the SD web page says. We found further back in this thread that formatting with Windows OS using different formatting block sizes that the write speed to the card could be changed, dramatically in some cases, like from 7k kbps to 10k kbps... don't know if you were reading this forum then. Then when the newer Release 2 firmware was flashed in, this changed the write speed to the card, too, even though the formatting was the same. So, it is still uncertain to me what "optimal" means, e.g. best read/write speed on average, best file integrity, security, or what?
Are you sure that is the card write speed? I was reading the thread back then and I always took it to mean those numbers were the bit rate of the video which is something entirely different than card write speed. If those posts really were talking about card write speed then you are right. But if it was video bit rate, that would all depend on how the video encoder decided to encode the video before writing it to the card (a decision that seemed to depend on how the card was formatted, not the card's write speed).
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:14 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamindar View Post
Are you sure that is the card write speed? I was reading the thread back then and I always took it to mean those numbers were the bit rate of the video which is something entirely different than card write speed. If those posts really were talking about card write speed then you are right. But if it was video bit rate, that would all depend on how the video encoder decided to encode the video before writing it to the card (a decision that seemed to depend on how the card was formatted, not the card's write speed).
Bad use of terms on my part... write speed TO the card (i.e. total average data rate output by the camera and written to the card), not write speed OF the card (e.g. as measured by CrystalDiskmark, etc.). Write speed of the card is obviously faster than the data rate being written to it since no dropped frames. But the formatting of the card affected the data rate the camera put out, which was the interesting part. And since the SD cards have the ability to store key data about it's characteristics that can be read by the host device, this was the only credible explanation for why that would occur.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:09 AM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Anybody knows where is posible to get CMOS sensor (C971P) separetally for this camera?
llinass is offline Find More Posts by llinass
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:44 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,237 Posts
I just made a floating camera mount for my #11 cam out of light ply.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:13 AM
Joined Sep 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally View Post
Hi all

Been lurking for a while reading posts and finally took the plunge and ordered my #11 cam from power-gps as advised at page 1.

I already downloaded the no time stamp firmware as I would like this removed is it OK to use this firmware irrespective of the version of camera I receive from him as long as its defo a #11 ?

Also have an 8gb card already in my #3 camera that works good in there so ran the speed test and attached here is the result. Will this be sufficient for the #11 camera or will I need to purchase another?

TIA Bill
Anyone?
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:15 AM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Why such a mount? Do your video's vibrate to much?

I use my camera's on my velomobile (recumbent tricycle with fairing). My camera's are placed directly on the fairing (okay, I made a pad with 2 magnets which sticks to the fairing and the camera sits on the pad with velcro). I expected a lot of vibrations because of the road surface but non of that.

(there is movement from side to side because of me using my legs to pedal but you need a very large mount to get that movement out of the movie)

Trillingstest magneetbevestiging (1 min 55 sec)

Some pictures can be found here:
http://velomobielfan.blogspot.com/20...-monteren.html
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:19 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
Why such a mount? Do your video's vibrate to much?
Have you tried taking videos with the #11 cam on a multi-rotor helicopter?
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Closed Thread