New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2015, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by Ricomon
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
782 Posts
Dang. Well, at this point it could be a motor issue, receiver issue, or even a transmitter issue. If you were a couple thousand miles closer, I'm sure we could sort this out. Unfortunately, it would cost a fortune in postage to ship it across the country twice. I'm hoping somebody closer to you will chime in.

Ricomon is online now Find More Posts by Ricomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2015, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by diyflyer
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Oct 2014
82 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
When flight testing day came to be I was again let down when I learned that although the rotors would spin and it would respond to Tx input, the darned thing would not leave the ground. The main rotor would spin up progressively to full power, the tail rotor would hesitate to begin and then fluctuate in its speed, but the copter would just sit there on the ground with no vertical or lateral movement at all...
This is a fixed pitch bird, so assuming that your rotor head is assembled correctly, with no missing screws or misplaced linkages, it should begin to lift off at a point that is considerably below full throttle. This means that you are not getting as much power out of that battery(or the motor) as you should be. Ricomon covered the bases there. It's too bad that you don't have a v911 as well, you could test with that transmitter and eliminate the transmitter as the source of the problem.

Your description of the tail rotor action seems to indicate that *it* is working properly, the tail rotor on the v915 should only spin up when the helicopter itself begins to rotate, or in response to rudder inputs.

If you aren't quite ready to throw in the towel, you might want to post a couple of close ups of your rotor head just in case the problem is something silly, like a missing screw.
diyflyer is offline Find More Posts by diyflyer
Old Oct 26, 2015, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by kiwi_craig
Slideways at warp speed.......
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
2,689 Posts
a sheared drive gear screw or sheared rotor head screw, gear or head is slipping on the shaft.......... had this happen.............. otherwise a dead motor - bad brushes, no power, also had this happen after about 40 flights, one of the reasons I went brushless......
kiwi_craig is online now Find More Posts by kiwi_craig
Old Oct 26, 2015, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
United States, OK, Goldsby
Joined Jul 2012
821 Posts
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I started with WL toys and guess what.. they are fine. Problem is one line and four different protocols.
I count five protocols these days, not counting the ones where they changed their funky "extensions", so that you can fly it with the V959 Tx, and turn on the lights, but trying to put it in flip mode kicks the main motor into overdrive. Or something like that.

Mine hasn't got two circuits on it yet. It was so pretty for the little time it flew that I haven't given up yet, but I'm having trouble finding the motivation to replace the servo's that died on (after fixing the Tx, and then replacing the main motor).

I'm with you in general - I don't buy WLToys unless their is something special about them. My V911 still flies and is fun indoors, and my V959 flew until I dissected it to figure out the protocol for the accessory connections. The V323 was fun once I got it on a good Tx, but the motors on that line seem to die a lot, and again - I'm having trouble finding motivation to fix it. That's more a general shift of interest away from aircraft than the V323, though, as I have a number of birds not getting fixed while I work on other things. The V323 will probably be one of the first two fixed when that changes.
Mike Meyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
13,900 Posts
Like I said I started with Xideda 9958's/ V911's/ then V929 quads. Then WL toys started with other protocols. bought Genius c/p with Devo 7 and never looked back. That TX has flown solid for thee years. Now I have Devo 8s also. One TX flys all my helis/ quads.
We all get warm fuzzies over early helis and learn to fly. If WL toys stayed with fly-sky protocol who knows. Point moot now as fly 450's/250/300's. WL toys offers none. still stuck in first gear sorta. My biggerst heli is Blade 500 D. No toy TX here. WL toys are fine if ya think small and all you can handle.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04