HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:53 PM
Joined Sep 2014
168 Posts
Discussion
I'll be the first to admit: T-28 way to much of a plane for my level...

I panicked once I went to turn left and way over corrected and the cycle of over correcting began. It was over. I've been so used to doing everything with full throws and had no idea with just how sensitive it was going to be.

The T-28 was to much of a plane for me. Lesson learned.

The good? I got a few great batteries for future, fantastic charger, and a rebuild project.

The Best? I bought a Delta Ray with Safe! I will be with this plane for quit some time. I will master this hobby and I will get to enjoy the flight of a T-28 at some point. It's in my blood.

Once again, thank everyone for all their help and time.
Rain1dog is online now Find More Posts by Rain1dog
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:05 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,421 Posts
Winner!
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:40 PM
I just want to fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,089 Posts
Just donít beat yourself up over it. The plane is definitely repairable and you will have a lot of fun with it some day. I did what you did when I came back to the hobby six years ago and thought I could fly the T-28. About thirty seconds into the flight I couldnít think fast enough and it landed at my feet inverted and at full throttle.
There are so many planes available to a beginner now I am sure you will find a few to get your reflexes trained and then you can get back to the T-28.

I am not picking on you or any of the questions you have put out here on the forum but I would like to ask a question. How do you feel about your question about batteries that can keep a plane in the air for 20 to 30 minutes now? Did you get enough in the three minutes with the T-28?

Keep plugging away and enjoy every minute with this hobby. Itís a learning experience every time you fly. Keep mental notes of each flight and practice all you can.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:59 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,962 Posts
Safe is great.... I would say I'm an intermediate pilot, but I have used the panic button a few times on my sport cub S..... I figure even if I might have saved it without hitting the button, its easier and surer to just let the electronics do it
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:10 PM
Joined Sep 2014
168 Posts
I think with the slow planes with how graceful they are in flight... I can't put in words the feeling of satisfaction I get of being able to fly in every direction with control.

With that in mind, yes I want as much flight as I can get in.

I can't wait for my delta Ray now!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:16 PM
Joined Apr 2005
396 Posts
That T28 is probably repairable. lots of help on the forms. Even beginner planes can sometimes scare me. I don't get to fly every day sometimes not for weeks so I start out with my beginner planes when I do fly.
Bradley Crandall is offline Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:33 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,421 Posts
What I do when I crash is just put the plane aside for a week or so, making sure I have all the pieces. It helps a lot when you have something else to fly. Then, when you revisit the injured plane your mind is cleat, you have your confidence back and your repair plan comes to you plain and clear.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:16 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,411 Posts
Most planes will fly slow, and most planes can be desensitized, but in their eagerness for beginners to 'get flying as soon as possible', many may not think about what they are about to do.

I have seen beginners push the throttle to full, launch and try to fight a model that is going quicker than their reactions. They rarely move the throttle until after it has crashed.

Same with control movement. Transmitters generally have rate switches, but programming those just delays getting out to the field. Even if the Tx doesn't have rates, control throws can often be reduced mechanically.

Another problem for beginners is 'tail chasing', i.e. not leading the plane where they want it to go because they planned a flight pattern, but watching where it wants to go and trying to correct it.

Many of us have been there, and experience often comes from thinking what went wrong after the crash.
It's thinking before even letting go of the model that shows experience has been gained and most importantly used.

Get out the glue, take you time with the repairs, take your time with setting the model up, don't forget repairs often add weight so check that CG before flying again, check those rates look Ok before flying. Most importantly, remember the throttle is a control that can get you to the crash site quicker, or slow the model down to enjoy the flight.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:25 AM
Joined Sep 2014
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Most planes will fly slow, and most planes can be desensitized, but in their eagerness for beginners to 'get flying as soon as possible', many may not think about what they are about to do.

I have seen beginners push the throttle to full, launch and try to fight a model that is going quicker than their reactions. They rarely move the throttle until after it has crashed.

Same with control movement. Transmitters generally have rate switches, but programming those just delays getting out to the field. Even if the Tx doesn't have rates, control throws can often be reduced mechanically.

Another problem for beginners is 'tail chasing', i.e. not leading the plane where they want it to go because they planned a flight pattern, but watching where it wants to go and trying to correct it.

Many of us have been there, and experience often comes from thinking what went wrong after the crash.
It's thinking before even letting go of the model that shows experience has been gained and most importantly used.

Get out the glue, take you time with the repairs, take your time with setting the model up, don't forget repairs often add weight so check that CG before flying again, check those rates look Ok before flying. Most importantly, remember the throttle is a control that can get you to the crash site quicker, or slow the model down to enjoy the flight.
Thank you. Yeah, matter of fact, I got so caught up in chasing the plane I never realized that I did in fact have the throttle mashed without realizing it, being so focused on the plane. Another sign, mentally, not read for what that type of plane has to offer. My brain is overloaded with to much information, instead of having years of expierence to draw from and instead of thinking I'm just doing. I did indeed set the T-28 aside, and will put it back together, while doing so enjoying the flight of the delta Ray.

I was discouraged after that disaster, I swore I would had kept it up longer than that with what I have learned. It's ok, step back, and gives me MORE of a goal now. I'm kinda glad in a way I didn't just magically fly it perfectly. Gives me way more of a sense of accomplishment
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:50 AM
Joined Sep 2014
168 Posts
I can't wait to just fly, something other than the small and slow champs, duet. I'm not big on diff thrust but it will have to do. I think after the delta Ray im going to go to one of the Bixler type planes, to have true control surfaces. I have always been fond of the way those Pusher's look. Then after a year of these two Ill go to a micro warbird something with less mass and forward momentum to get better suited to fly them as a parkflyer.

I'm just amazed at how much this has griped me. I think about it all the time. My fiancť gets a little irked at times because all I do is read about planes, watch videos, and when possible fly. She's fantastic in supporting my passions I can just start spending money like it grows on trees with this hobby.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:18 AM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What I do when I crash is just put the plane aside for a week or so, making sure I have all the pieces. It helps a lot when you have something else to fly. Then, when you revisit the injured plane your mind is cleat, you have your confidence back and your repair plan comes to you plain and clear.
A great plan.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:33 AM
Joined May 2012
314 Posts
Start building your own! Amazing what can be built with an exacto knife, metal ruler and 5$ work of dollar store foam.
Doesn't hurt the wallet so much when/if you crash, cheap way to learn and move up the ranks of plane types until you feel confident enough to try something really nice.
I just kept building planes around components I already owned from earlier planes.
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:55 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
757 Posts
I like the put it aside for a week or so. When I crashed my spitfire it looked like there was no way I could fix it. A week later was up at 3 am so lets go look at the spitfire. An hour later its back together and I'm running the engine. Had to get new gearbox to get power back but its been flying for months again. And it was fixed with under $5.00 in part's.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2014
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
Start building your own! Amazing what can be built with an exacto knife, metal ruler and 5$ work of dollar store foam.
Doesn't hurt the wallet so much when/if you crash, cheap way to learn and move up the ranks of plane types until you feel confident enough to try something really nice.
I just kept building planes around components I already owned from earlier planes.
I was looking at Flite Test show and their free build plans. I'm super digging that. I am going to do it. I'm just so drawn to planes like durafly racers,warmliners, hot liners, ripslinger looking planes....
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:15 AM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
979 Posts
Slow down and smell the rose's !!! People today are set on doing everything " yesterday " . Take your time and LEARN / ENJOY what you have ( hopefully a beginner plane ) don't rush life .
As an old man I have finally learned that I can't do everything before I go, so I'm just going to ENJOY what I can do. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh