HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2013, 08:47 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Discussion
5" Racing Cat!

Here's a little racing cat design I've been sitting on for a while. I designed it about a year and a half ago, but not until now have I found the motivation to build it. It's a scant 5" long from the front tips of the hull to the back of the rudder and less than an inch tall, including the scoop (which is actually an aesthetic addition that also gives the servo more room)! The first prototype will be using a Parkzone board, 90mah lipo, and a 6x14mm motor with a cut down Picco-Z tail prop. It is almost entirely constructed of 2mm depron.

I actually have a fully built prototype, but just before testing, I had a wire break loose, and we are going to be gone for a little over a week now, so testing will have to wait. I know it floats fine. Seems like it will slip through the water pretty easily too, even though it has no steps to get it out of the water at speed. It's not really meant to be that fast anyway. It's just meant to look fast.

Sometime I might redesign it for a larger (but still micro) version that will be made for serious micro speed, complete with 10mm brushless power.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2013, 07:10 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Looks great

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
Cool boat, is the motor on the rudder?
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 24, 2013, 08:08 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Thank guys! Yes. The motor is directly attached to the rudder for better low speed maneuverability.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,701 Posts
Very cool boat. Nice work. That would be a lot of fun in the pool
fastmax is online now Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:03 AM
Canada, ON, Sault Ste. Marie
Joined Aug 2013
119 Posts
badass, id be interested in building this if you were so kind as to give build plans and material list
Felix_Dinel is offline Find More Posts by Felix_Dinel
Old Nov 02, 2013, 05:25 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Haha cool, plans would be sweet!
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Nov 02, 2013, 06:27 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
What scales would you guys like? I can post some different sized plans for different applications. Request hull lengths if you want. Just remember, at the prototype's 5" scale, it is designed for 2mm foam, so if you are using 3mm, you will want 7.5", or 14" for 6mm, etc. The plans will be just for the hull. It will be up to you what you want to do for rudder and motor mounting.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 08:08 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
I've only got 6mm foam t the moment but I'm going to setup a "limbo wire" deck with my hot wire cutter so I can get down to 1-3mm thickness, so probably the 7.5" for my first.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:05 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
The prototype plans I have for myself are very rough and do not include any tabs and notches for lower hull and fuselage intersections, so I will need to do some revisions and polish them up a little before I post good plans. School is consuming most of my time right now, so please be patient with me. It could be a little while. For now, I've posted the prototype plans in 5", 7.5", and 14" scales. I didn't bother with any tabs and notches on the prototype, and it worked fine. However, getting stuff to line up precisely is very difficult without them, so I would highly recommend using tabs and notches on the lower connections between the fuselage and hulls at least.