SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
Fiber optics

Heres a question for ya,
Anyone know where I can get cheap/free sections of fiber optic fibers? I am trying to plan out a sensory room for a child with disabilities and am looking for different things to put in it. Any thoughts?
I thought about contacting the local cable/telephone company to see if they had any cut sections I can salvage, but they are such big companies that i wouldnt even know where to start with them.
Thanks for the help!
johnlaff is offline Find More Posts by johnlaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:48 PM
Head full of foam
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlaff View Post
Heres a question for ya,
Anyone know where I can get cheap/free sections of fiber optic fibers? I am trying to plan out a sensory room for a child with disabilities and am looking for different things to put in it. Any thoughts?
I thought about contacting the local cable/telephone company to see if they had any cut sections I can salvage, but they are such big companies that i wouldnt even know where to start with them.
Thanks for the help!
You should run with this idea. Just go up to the front desk at your local cable company and ask. They supply cable and connectors cheap to customers that wish to wire their houses. They do this because they get fined if the system leaks... they don't want their customers installing garbage cable and connectors.

Seeing how they're used to being asked those types of questions, I'd bet they'd be able to handle your request, especially if you tell them it's for a handicapped child.

You might even stop and ask one of the service guys if you see one out and about.

Good luck!
RuralFPV is offline Find More Posts by RuralFPV
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:22 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
501 Posts
You might try power companies also. They use a fair bit of fiber for interconnecting power relays. If you went to the company I used to work for they'd probably sucker you into coming for a friday lunch meeting and giving a speech or turn it into a press photo op.

Most power and phone companies have short hanks of fiber laying around for demonstrations and presentations. They would probably be happy to give you those since they can easily just grab some more. So don't be afraid to ask at the front desk, there's a pretty good chance they'll have something handy that they can give you.
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:22 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Network fiber optics strands are safety hazard,
offer withdrawn.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Last edited by rick.benjamin; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: glass safety hazard
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:09 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,274 Posts
Network type fibre optic might not be what you want.

The actual glass core is really very small, and you need to take care if you strip the insulation off, you can easily stab yourself with it and get glass embedded in you fingers.

Sure you dont want the plastic fibre optic used for lighting displays etc ?
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:49 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,411 Posts
Also have a look on ebay for 'fiber optic lamps'.

Some are quite cheap, include a lamp base and even color changes.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:57 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
Network type fibre optic might not be what you want.
The actual glass core is really very small, and you need to take care if you strip the insulation off, you can easily stab yourself with it and get glass embedded in you fingers.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking...
It's true, network fiber optics can be a safety hazard.
Each single mode fiber is 250 microns thick, with a 5 micron irbium doped core.
I withdraw my offer.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:51 AM
USA, OR, Medford
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
Try www.flisign.com/
They should be able to help out. I'm not affiliated with them in any way.
Radiokai is online now Find More Posts by Radiokai
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
thanks for info, I didnt think about the fibes in wireing being so small. I guess the bigger the better. Here is a like of what i had intended to do with them
http://www.experia-usa.com/p-457-sup...ic-bundle.aspx

I wasnt too sure about how large the strands are in the cabling wires but I'm guessing they are small since they would want to pack in as many fibers as possible. Ill continue searching anyway.
PS. I know this really isnt RC related but I figured you guys could come up with some nifty ideas. Ill be thinking about other sensory room ideas...
johnlaff is offline Find More Posts by johnlaff
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:58 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y
Maybe more affordable. Good luck in your search
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:13 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004