HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Sep 2006
895 Posts
Discussion
what paint to use need a white that wont yellow

ok guys I painted my African queen with rustoleum gloss white it looked great put it on the shelf for a bit and now its a yellowish brown. I don't smoke so that's not it. I need something I can use and I would prefer to not have to strip the rustoleum the hull is a thin ABS plastic so I don't want to have to use stripping agents on it. I am open to all suggestions.
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Feb 2007
411 Posts
I would recommend wiping down the hull with denatured alcohol. This will remove the oils from finger prints and dull the gloss so the new paint will adhere better. I have used Plastikote white paint and it has not yellowed, however I have not used it on ABS. Try it on a piece of scrape first. Plastikote is my for choice for can spray paint.
JOHN SCALE BOAT is offline Find More Posts by JOHN SCALE BOAT
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:07 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,092 Posts
I have had no problem with krylon turning yellow but have with testers enamel and other enamels. I add a drop or 2 of blue into white when I use my airbrush. That stops any yellowing, keep in mind that that would be 2 drops to a 1/2 pint of paint.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Last edited by charlie eaton; Dec 24, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Nov 2005
222 Posts
I have a model car that was built over 25 years ago and painted krylon gloss white. No clear coat. It is still as white as the day I painted it. Others painted with testors and other hobby paints have yellowed.
papower is offline Find More Posts by papower
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2006
895 Posts
thanks guys
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Apr 2010
52 Posts
white paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton View Post
I have had no problem with krylon turning yellow but have with testers emanel and other enamels. I add a drop or 2 of blue into white when I use my airbrush. That stops any yellowing, keep in mind that that would be 2 drops to a 1/2 pint of paint.
I agree with Charlie, I 've been into modeling for over 40 years . the drops of blue will do it.
chucksplanes is offline Find More Posts by chucksplanes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:26 AM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
In the sign shop I worked at part time, our painter added a couple of drops of aluminum paint into the white, said the aluminum helped with the reflective quality of the white. Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:37 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
[QUOTE=charlie eaton;23600496]I have had no problem with krylon turning yellow but have with testers emanel and other enamels. I add a drop or 2 of blue into white when I use my airbrush. That stops any yellowing, keep in mind that that would be 2 drops to a 1/2 pint of paint.[/QUOt

Will that work on my teeth?
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Last edited by MILLERTIME; Dec 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:26 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,967 Posts
Adding the trace of blue sounds logical - in the elder days detergent sellers spoke of the "new blue whitener" that made things "whiter than white" only a decade or so after my granny used to sling a "dolly blue" (small sachet of weal blue dye on a stick) into the wash. The aluminium paint also sounds logical, anything to keep the UV away from the lower layers of white paint.
A passing thought - the white van parked down my street shows no sign of yellowing, how about touch- in paint from the local auto accessory shop?
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Haze,

I had the same problem on an old styrene hull; my solution was a light sanding and a fresh coat of red. I don’t think I will have to worry about the yellowing again.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:03 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,092 Posts
It seems that enamel will yellow. acrylic and lacquer will not. When I was in the USCG we would add blue to any white enamal that we used whether for a boat or a building to prevent the yellowing which is why I made that suggestion. It DOES work. Of course as KCAL said, a coat of red will cure it also
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Sep 2006
895 Posts
maybe I will paint it a nice tan I am not a big fan of white anyways
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Sep 2006
895 Posts
well I bought some yellow paint I figure if you cant beat them join em lol
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2006
895 Posts

well I think that fixes it if the Yellow with a green bottom doesn't look good I will switch the bottom to red oxide.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Ha ha, it drove me nuts too. I will try the add a touch of blue solution at some point; I thought white paint yellowed due to UV light degradation?

Personally I think the yellow and green combination came out really nicely.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal