HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, WY, Gillette
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
Discussion
full house 8103 with motor

hi. ive got a 4servo wing(spirit elite)would like to put an electric motor in it.(already have)would like to have crow,camber and reflux.would like them all adjustable.here lies the problem.I NOLONGER HAVE A 9303.I HAVE AN XP 8103.VERY FRUSTRATED.can someone take the time to walk me through it step by step (please)?cant think straight or read the manuel properly i guess.found shermans writeup on it but no motor. i have a jr 700 slimline reciever.any help would be great.thnks in advance. bob. ratlm2540@msn.com theres one writeup on the net but couldnt seem to get there with it.i think he left something out.i know i should by a 9503 but cnt swing it
ratlm is online now Find More Posts by ratlm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:06 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
Read through this and it will walk you through exactly what you are wanting to do.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:05 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,089 Posts
I have data sheets in xls form for the 388 and 8103. Numbers are there with switch options for full house, F3B, sailplanes[V tails]. Plug in the info, reset the subtrims and adjust throws to suit! Sorry, no motor info.

Dens me a pm with email and I'll send it off to you.

Dennis
dephela is offline Find More Posts by dephela
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:03 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,465 Posts
That was a very popular sailplane radio that is still probably in wide use. Easily upgraded to 2.4 GHz too.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
thnks guys

wayne.ive tried thatone 3 times but i just read it again and think i know what i did wrong.thnks for the post ill try it again.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
flying

aeajr.just wanted to thnk you for posting on my thread.i have been reading your threads for the last 2 or 3 yrs. i think you do a great deal to pull the soaring community together and just thought now was a good time to give you a pat on the back.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:51 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,402 Posts
You need an 8 channel receiver... Unless you are willing to split the flaps to 1 channel.

The motor goes on a switch... mixed to Aux 3.
Use glider mode.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,402 Posts
I have 2 Radian Pros ... On one I have a 7 channel Berg, and on the other I have a 9 channel JR.

I have crow on both, but can get trailing edge camber, only on the 9 channel one.

Both have the motor on a spring loaded switch.
I loaded my switch with a rubber band.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
FWIW, I am using a 7 channel Berg Rx in my Pulsar, using a JR XP783 radio and I am able to have crow, full camber trailing edge, throttle on the stick, etc, etc. It can be done with 7 channels. Motor is on the throttle but with a flip of the Mix switch I transfer flap control over to the throttle and disable the motor at the same time. The directions in the previously attached PDF explains how to do it.

Wayne
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
FWIW, I am using a 7 channel Berg Rx in my Pulsar, using a JR XP783 radio and I am able to have crow, full camber trailing edge, throttle on the stick, etc, etc. It can be done with 7 channels. Motor is on the throttle but with a flip of the Mix switch I transfer flap control over to the throttle and disable the motor at the same time. The directions in the previously attached PDF explains how to do it.

Wayne
Yes, that is possible... but you can't have the motor on a spring loaded switch... it has to be on the throttle stick... then you have to remember to switch back and forth between throttle and flaps.

For the throttle on a switch, you need 8 channels... or relinquish trailing edge camber.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Yes, that is possible... but you can't have the motor on a spring loaded switch... it has to be on the throttle stick... then you have to remember to switch back and forth between throttle and flaps.

For the throttle on a switch, you need 8 channels... or relinquish trailing edge camber.
I have heard of people switching the use of the left stick between throttle and landing.

While I am sure it is technically possible, I don't think I would want to do that. Having made a few switch mistakes in my time, the idea of coming in for a landing, expecting flaps and getting throttle really scares me. That could be down right dangerous.

In addition, for all you contest flyers, a minor mistake with the switch and the stick and you would be obligated to take a zero for the flght.

Each to his own but, not for me.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
It has worked well for me. The only time I flip the switch is right after the launch phase, disabling the motor for the remainder of the flight. I don't reset the switch until after I have landed. I don't need to deploy flaps during launch so that has yet to be an issue i.e I never need flaps and motor throttle at the same time. I suppose I could inadvertently flip the Mix switch at some point during the flight but I don't have any flight mode switches on that side of my radio and I am not a big dual rate user so there is nothing for me to ever adjust on that side of my radio.

There are lots of different ways to get this to work, to each their own. Take it for what it is worth, just one way to do it with something less than a 9303.

Wayne
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:41 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,402 Posts
It all depends on if you want throttle on the stick.

I have described 2 ways to do it with the throttle on a spring loaded switch.
Choices are good.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:25 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
It's gratifying to see that someone turned that page from my website into a PDF file and that the method is still being spread around. It's been over 10 years now since I came up with it and apparently a lot of people have adopted it.

The only downside that I'm aware of is that it requires you to configure your flap stick so that stick-up is flaps-down and vice versa, which is the opposite of the conventional method. I'm now stuck doing it that way because it's too hard to unlearn. Even though I rarely fly powered gliders nowadays, I still program my flap stick the opposite of everyone else.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:19 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,402 Posts
My flaps are the same way... down stick is off.
This is because I come from an electric background, not a glider background.

I think the conventional way sailplanes pilots do it, is completely backwards.
Closed Thread