SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2007
46 Posts
Discussion
Solartex and butyrate dope

I am ready to cover my 1/4 scale Stinson 108-3. I am want to paint it in the same colors as my full scale Stinson. I have some bahama blue butyrate dope that I used for small fabric repairs on my full scale plane. I was wondering if I covered my model with Solartex, would it be then ok to paint the model with the Randolph butyrate dope that I use on my full scale plane?
embpic is offline Find More Posts by embpic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
I would probably brush a coat or two of thinned nitrate dope to use a primer so that butyrate has something to melt into.
jhaywood is online now Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:47 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
From what threads I could find, using a lacquer clear coat as a primer is recommended. I have used Randolph Butyrate from a general aviation store (Aircraft Spruce) and at least in white and yellow found that it is not as fuel proof as hobby butyrate(dripped on raw fuel at 24 hours after spraying removes color). I would recommend a hobby butyrate clear over the Randolph.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Last edited by jjkupinski; Feb 08, 2012 at 04:55 PM.