HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:39 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy. View Post
Thanks Dr M,

Sounds like some flight improvements were made...maybe this will help with the drive me crazy random wobble I get on a 500!
Try lowering the D gain for rudder and make sure the rc deadband and gyro deadband aren't too high. Should get rid of any 'random wobbles/hunting'.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
135 Posts
This divelopment is fantastic and i am extreamly impressed with those that created the software and provided devlopment.

Ok...I'm feeling a bit stuped. I have read through most of this tread and i still cant grasp the answer to my question.

I have the CX controller. If I use the patched Tarot application, will it flash the Tarot fbl firmware onto the CX controller or will it only adjust the settings to the original CX firmware on the controller. If it will flash other firmware to the controller which one should i use?
Grawyl is offline Find More Posts by Grawyl
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2010
135 Posts
Nevermind....found the answer btween page 84 and 117.... Lots of good reading.

Which brings up a question I didnt see a definative answer to : If I only have the one CX gyro at this point, what would be the benefit to crossflashing to the ZYX 2.5 firmware? I d not have a control box.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
The latest firmware for the Tarot ZYX (and ZYX-S) is v3.5, and there are some very worthwhile improvements, to both cyclic feel and the tail. The tail RC deadband issue has also been fixed.

Yeah, it's a pity the control box doesn't work any more. You could wait for the CX update or live without the control box, and just use the PC app.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
The latest firmware for the Tarot ZYX (and ZYX-S) is v3.5, and there are some very worthwhile improvements, to both cyclic feel and the tail. The tail RC deadband issue has also been fixed.
What kind of RC deadband related issue exactly are you referring to??

The wag of death is no software bug.

I haven't updated since software version 2.5 came out, which means the firmware on my ZYX is pretty ancient. But so far I haven't come across any real show-stopping bugs that made me even consider a firmware update.

Yes, the gyro doesn't like it when the RC deadband value is too high, nor does it like it when the gyro deadband is too high either, especially in combination with a high tail to collective pitch compensation value and gyro gain on the Tx. But I don't consider any of that to be software bugs of any kind.

Just dial in lower values and it'll be fine.

Of course an even better tail hold throughout hardcore 3D is worth an update, but it's already impressively good as is. The only times I'd wish the gyro would allow for a higher tail gain is during really hardcore tic tocs (more than 5 in a row) or rainbows (with strong pitchpumps at the switch).

I suspect decreasing the D gain on the tail a little more while increasing tail gyro gain on the Tx a single % or so might further improve the hold during those moves. But I don't feel like changing any more settings at the moment as it flies so good already.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:15 AM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post

Yeah, it's a pity the control box doesn't work any more. You could wait for the CX update or live without the control box, and just use the PC app.
Beenflying what do you mean by control box doesn't work any more did you mean the programmer box.sorry for asking

thanks
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
135 Posts
He's refering to the Copterx control box will not work with the CX gyro after the tarot zyx firmware has been flashed to the gyro. Once that is done, its copter x hardware running zyx firmware.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawyl View Post
He's refering to the Copterx control box will not work with the CX gyro after the tarot zyx firmware has been flashed to the gyro. Once that is done, its copter x hardware running zyx firmware.
Thanks a lot.........
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2009
220 Posts
What is D gain ? Agility, or just GAIN ?
DerClown is offline Find More Posts by DerClown
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerClown View Post
What is D gain ? Agility, or just GAIN ?
By all accounts, it is a parameter that controls the way the heli stops from performing a maneuver when the sticks are released. The higher it is, the more aggressive the stop. Too high and it may cause instability or bounce, too low and you'll get mushy stops. A value of 10 appears to be optimal for the ZYX V3.50 firmware.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2009
220 Posts
Nice answer, but I asked which parameter in PC software is D Gain ?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,768 Posts
Damn man can you not read the instructions?

They are very self explanatory both te ones that come with the unit its self and the new version 3.0 PC software has informative windows you can click on that tells what each adjustment or item is and what it does.

cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Nice answer, but I asked which parameter in PC software is D Gain ?
Dr M had explained the use of D gain. But, if you are asking where to find in the S/W so you can set the value of it, look under the 'Advance Menu' page... click on the 'Advance Menu' button.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:25 AM
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2009
220 Posts
Thanks !
I have another question. How do you set the Tail Gain ? Via transmitter, or via PC software ? I can't get enough Tail Gain, when I set it with my Spektrum DX7. I put 100% but the tail doesn't hold, when I set it via PC at 100% then the tail has too much gain.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Thanks !
I have another question. How do you set the Tail Gain ? Via transmitter, or via PC software ? I can't get enough Tail Gain, when I set it with my Spektrum DX7. I put 100% but the tail doesn't hold, when I set it via PC at 100% then the tail has too much gain.
It quite likely doesn't hold at all because you have not set collective to tail pitch compensation in the advanced setup section. That needs to be around +12 or so for most helicopters.

Does the helicopter tail jerk to the right when adding throttle, add +12. If it jerks to the left, add -12.

Of course, double check that you've got zero pitch on your tail at mid rudder stick. It should hold fine and easily give you an insane tail wag with a gain set far too high.

Also make sure the RC deadband and gyro deadband values make sense. I've got mine set at 20 and 4 or so. The default 40 is far too high.
Last edited by PHMX; Aug 17, 2012 at 05:43 AM.