HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:45 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
The black GPS cable is pretty hard, and I'm afraid in my case, that it does send vibration from the airframe through this cable, to the OSD. Would it be possibly to cut this cable and solder some more soft wires in between the two connectors - to prevent vibrations ?
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:07 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
I did this on my first RVOSD, Gen 1. The very first version came with a really short lead as the GPS was supposed to sit on top of the graphic board. I chopped the lead and added about 400mm to it, and ran the GPS on the tailplane. It certainly speeded up satellite lock.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:47 AM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Thanks Blackrat. That will make things easier, yes they will always be both 3S...
i mean that both 3s packs are at the same voltage .. if one is slightly lower than the other the stronger pack 'charges' the weaker pack instantly

so always make sure you put two freshly charged packs in together
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
When I look at my RVOSD version, it says Video 5.02 and sensor 5.00

Does it mean that my mainboard is version 5.02 or is it the graphboard that is 5.02 ?
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Main board = sensor. Actual version is 5.05.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:27 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
i mean that both 3s packs are at the same voltage .. if one is slightly lower than the other the stronger pack 'charges' the weaker pack instantly

so always make sure you put two freshly charged packs in together
Ah I see. Thanks. I have already wired it up so the batteries will be connected one at a time.. I'll always check the voltage. If I did put differently charged packs on could it hurt the OSD?
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:09 AM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Ah I see. Thanks. I have already wired it up so the batteries will be connected one at a time.. I'll always check the voltage. If I did put differently charged packs on could it hurt the OSD?
No probably not, but if imbalance is to big the current can be so big you risk burning the wires and the lipos can catch fire in your hands, always be careful when doing this, it can be serious.
Lars.
LKJ is online now Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,946 Posts
Well now that's scary! Hmmm maybe I'll revise this and make a rig where I plug the batteries into each other first, then the OSD.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:33 AM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
619 Posts
Don't get me wrong the danger is not for your OSD i don't think it will hurt the OSD but if you by accident connect an empty and a fully charged battery with a Y connection then the current in the wires will be wherry big and the wires will be wherry hot and the batteries can cats fire when the full battery trying to charge the empty in 2 seconds, so if you newer forget to check voltage before connecting and voltage is only 0,1-0,2 V difference you will be safe, just don't forget to check.
Manny people do it daily.
Lars.
LKJ is online now Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
I have been working on my vibrations and would like to hear if the vibrations are low enough to use RTH ?

If you take a look at my video, and skip to 04:38 you will see the debug screen while I'm airborne.

FPV over Herstedøster - RVOSD Gen5 (5 min 37 sec)
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:36 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Looks good on the AHI. It that was bouncing around then I would say you have a problem.

Try it, Turn it on and if it act strange then turn it off.
Also make sure your plane is trimed to fly at 8amps level with no stick input. Then set your "set neutrals" to that. According to you video you should set your cruise throttle to 1.47ms. And maybe set the glide throttle to 1.25-1.35 (that is a guess.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:20 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
That looks great to me. Try it with FBW first just to prove to yourself. It will make you comfortable about giving up control to the OSD.
Looking Good!
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:18 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Any one know when they are getting more of these in stock? Last time I checked they told me in 5 days....May have to look at other options.
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2006
215 Posts
Can anyone please confirm how to set the jumpers when running a separate battery for osd and video tx & camera? Do I remove the main battery enable jump entirely, or do I simply move it over one pin to where it says disable?

Thanks,
Tux
ptuxbury is offline Find More Posts by ptuxbury
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:38 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Go to the link for the G5 instructions and scroll down till you see "RVOSD, camera and video Tx power management:"

There are pictures showing you how to set your jumpers. You should read the whole two times before even setting up your G5.

http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...progress...%29

This is from the instructions, which you should have read..

The OSD will supply power to the camera and video transmitter. If the voltage selection jumpers are set to 12V RVOSD will route the battery with the highest voltage to power the device (camera or video Tx associated with the selected jumper). So if the main battery voltage is more than 3S(12V), user will have to change the disable jumper to isolate the main battery and provide a 3S battery on the auxiliary battery input port.
When the voltage selection jumpers are set to 5V RVOSD will supply power from an internal 5V regulator. However if any of the jumpers are set to 12V you have to follow the above recommendations. Only when both jumpers (camera and video Tx) are set to 5V the OSD can work with any battery combinations in the 2S-6S range.

This are few examples of jumper positions:
Main battery enabled, 12V VTx, 12V Cam: http://rangevideo.com/forum/attachme...8&d=1315418224
Main battery disabled, 12V VTx, 12V Cam: http://rangevideo.com/forum/attachme...9&d=1315418238
Main battery enabled, 12V VTx, 5V Cam: http://rangevideo.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1315418254
Main battery enabled, 5V VTx, 12V Cam: http://rangevideo.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1315418267
Main battery enabled, 5V VTx, 5V Cam: http://rangevideo.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1315418277
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas