SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:52 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser View Post
this is the only one i can find that states it works with windows 7 http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-7-SPY-72...68388232163039
That's not a true HD camera.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
HD camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
That's not a true HD camera.
what HD camera are they talking about and where can i get it. thanks !
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:16 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser View Post
what HD camera are they talking about and where can i get it. thanks !
Have a look at the first four posts in this thread, thanks to Tom all the information you need is there.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:19 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
ok thanks !
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:43 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Does anyone know what the thread size and diameter of the lense barrel is on these cameras? While I'm waiting for mine to ship, I am looking into some possible lense replacement solutions. I have found some prototyping lense adapters made for OmniVision sensors that could possibly be retrofitted.

My goal is to make a m12 x .5 adapter so that any of the hundreds of available m12 x .5 lenses out there could be used with this camera. I feel that the vignetting issue could easily be solved by using a higher quality lense than the one that comes with these cameras.

I have found some very capable lenses that are relatively inexpensive, with FOVs ranging from 97 degrees up to 127 degrees. Of course, they can't be used in conjuntion with the stock lense, so this would take some serious modification to the case, which I have no problem doing. It would also require some surgery to the actual sensor assembly, which I am ready to do if it will yield some worthwhile results.

I probably should have ordered a half dozen cameras to cut up

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
You guys are brave. I bricked yet another standard #3 just by trying to focus it. I didn't see any sparks or smoke, but there was a brief, acrid electrical smell. Then it was a paperweight. I was being careful, too. I wouldn't dare try it again with the basic #3, much less the new HD models.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:29 AM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
I checked how my 808HD record movies until the end of the battery. The camera was loaded until it extinguished until the red LED.

I turned on the camera. I pressed the shutter button and the camera recorded a preliminary
10000kbps. Recorded the two parts after 20 minutes and an approximately 1.5 minutes.
After removing the files I loaded the camera again until the red LED is extinguished.
I turned on the camera, pressed the button twice Power / Mode button and then shutter. This resulted in the camera started recording under 7000kbps. I continued to the end. Recorded the two parts after 20 minutes and one about 2 minutes.

Recorded movies can I play with VLC media player 0.8.6c, BESTplayer v.1.0, BESTplayer 2105, Dziobas Rar Player 0.009.52, plus DivX Player v 8.1.2.

Avidemux 2.5.4 The application reads and treats all parts recorded on the camera.
VirtualDub 1.9.9 The application reads only the last part recorded on camera less than 20 minutes.
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:56 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
I was just digging around for info on the OV9712 sensor just out of curiosity, and found this. It's pretty interesting... They also mention a 74 FOV.

http://www.roboxpress.com/technology...ifecam-cinema/
Thanks for the link. The lens in that camera has a much wide FOV lens assembly than the HD key cam, even though it has the HD CMOS sensor array. I'm still hopeful a better lens can be found for the HD key cam that will cover the sensor array better with less vignetting.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
There is only one clean solution, and that is a parameter file similar to that used for setting the time. If the camera has been designed with too little internal memory, then it most probably won't be possible to use a parameter file.

My suggestion for your "HD camera guy": (to replace the current date file - forgot the name)
File name: Params.txt
File Contents (// is comments, should be ignored by firmware so that we can have a documented parameter file):
Date: 20110112 // YYYYMMDD
Time: 150549 // HHMMSS
DateFormat: DD.MM.YYYY // or any combination, e.g. MM/DD/YYYY, MM/DD/YY, DD-MM-YYYY, etc.
TimeFormat: 24 // or 12 (with AM/PM)
Timestamp: OFF // or ON
Split: Y // or N
Yes, I agree a parameter file is the better soultion. This was apparent with the old 808 #3 firmware update process to erase the date stamp, which implied there could be a parameter file involved, although the one used in the firmware update process was blank and apparently not available to the end user. I'm not knowledgeable enough in that area to know any specifics. It may require a lot more work to implement than just producing the differential firmware updates. But it has been done, I think, for one of the old 808 versions. I'll suggest this as a better solution to My HD Key Cam Guy, who seems eager to have the flexibility and features we want to see.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
You guys are brave. I bricked yet another standard #3 just by trying to focus it. I didn't see any sparks or smoke, but there was a brief, acrid electrical smell. Then it was a paperweight. I was being careful, too. I wouldn't dare try it again with the basic #3, much less the new HD models.

Tony
Yes, it takes some care. Best to unsolder the red battery wire and tape the end before messing around with any thing metal that could short soldered points on the circuit board. Or as a minimum, tape over all the circuit board soldereded points after opening the case to avoid direct contact, even with your fingers to minimize possible static discharge zapping something. Sounds like you shorted something, though, if you could smell "that dying electronics" odor!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
Does anyone know what the thread size and diameter of the lense barrel is on these cameras? While I'm waiting for mine to ship, I am looking into some possible lense replacement solutions. I have found some prototyping lense adapters made for OmniVision sensors that could possibly be retrofitted.

My goal is to make a m12 x .5 adapter so that any of the hundreds of available m12 x .5 lenses out there could be used with this camera. I feel that the vignetting issue could easily be solved by using a higher quality lense than the one that comes with these cameras.

I have found some very capable lenses that are relatively inexpensive, with FOVs ranging from 97 degrees up to 127 degrees. Of course, they can't be used in conjuntion with the stock lense, so this would take some serious modification to the case, which I have no problem doing. It would also require some surgery to the actual sensor assembly, which I am ready to do if it will yield some worthwhile results.

I probably should have ordered a half dozen cameras to cut up

Doug
I happen to have my HD cam open, and the lens thread looks to be 6mm dia. (pitch uncertain). I'd sure like to find a direct screw in replacement that will reduce the vignetting, not a hacked one! If you come across one, let us know. In any event, if you do a hacked version, post that too and you may get the dubious honor of having the first link in my reserved Post #4 for "Frankencams"!

<EDIT> please see new measurements of the lens thread with a caliper in this post <EDIT>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 18, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added ne info on lens thread diameter
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
I checked how my 808HD record movies until the end of the battery. The camera was loaded until it extinguished until the red LED.

I turned on the camera. I pressed the shutter button and the camera recorded a preliminary
10000kbps. Recorded the two parts after 20 minutes and an approximately 1.5 minutes.
After removing the files I loaded the camera again until the red LED is extinguished.
I turned on the camera, pressed the button twice Power / Mode button and then shutter. This resulted in the camera started recording under 7000kbps. I continued to the end. Recorded the two parts after 20 minutes and one about 2 minutes.

Recorded movies can I play with VLC media player 0.8.6c, BESTplayer v.1.0, BESTplayer 2105, Dziobas Rar Player 0.009.52, plus DivX Player v 8.1.2.

Avidemux 2.5.4 The application reads and treats all parts recorded on the camera.
VirtualDub 1.9.9 The application reads only the last part recorded on camera less than 20 minutes.
Your camera is doing some VERY strange things compared to mine. I did find with mine that outputting the native video from AviDemux to an .AVI file container using direct copy of video and audio, the resulting .AVI file would not display the video with WMP, WLMM, or Vdub, but VLC player could import and play the video properly!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:35 PM
United States, DE, Townsend
Joined Jun 2007
186 Posts
I did the Firmware update. It took the date and time off, but still will have an error when recording of 20 min. in length.
autorail1 is offline Find More Posts by autorail1
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Updated information as of 03/03/2011 in red below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
SOme of the cameras come with an accessory package that includes an external "emergency battery charger" for just $2-$3 more. You probably have questions, because the ad doesn't tell anything about what it does!

1. Will it allow the camera to take power from it AND the camera internal battery in parallel and take video at the same time?

Yes, the external charger will do this, just like the car charger, but it will not add any significant recording time. It's power output cannot sustain the camera's power demand on it's own, so it is mainly useful only for recharging the internal battery. The short adaptor cable connector (mini-USB plug to small mono plug) could be used, though, to power the camera from some other more capable +5V power source, such as a 4 cell battery pack or an ESC/BEC or UBEC.

2. What is the capacity of the emergency charger battery (mAh?).

The charger takes an AA size hard cell, which does not come with the charger. You supply the external battery.

3. How much recording time will the camera have with both its internal battery and the external one connected?

The extended recording time is very minimal, maybe 15 minutes or so, even when a 2200 mAh AA cell.

4. What kind of battery in the emergency charger?

Any hard cell AA NiMH, NiCad, or alkaline battery will work. The voltage of the single cell is quardupled by the charger, reducing it's current capacity by over a factor of 4 with efficiency losses.

5. How much does the emergency charger weigh?

The charger case and cable without battery weighs 29 gms. A 2000 mAh AA NiMH (Eneloop cell) weighs 25 gms, so total weight is about 54 gms (1.9 oz.).

6. Is the emergency charger being sold by itself?

No.. it is now supposed to be part of the accessory package that comes with the camera.

It has been discovered that the camera CAN be powered AND shoot video with any +5V external source (other than a PC port) with a generic USB plug configuration (i.e. +5V on pin #1), BUT you need to start a recording with the camera's internal battery first while disconnected from the USB plug, and THEN plug into the USB source. A caveat is that the stop/save/continue recording function will NOT resume and continue using this power supply. You will only get one 20 min. video. The special car charger plug with non-standard USB plug configuration (i.e. +5V on pin #4) is needed for that. BUT, if you flash in the continuous recording firmware, this method will allow recording to continue until the flash card is filled.

This link also summarizes +5V (USB) power/cable/plug topics.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 03, 2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added info on charge/play with standard USB power
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autorail1 View Post
I did the Firmware update. It took the date and time off, but still will have an error when recording of 20 min. in length.
Sorry to hear that! Since you said manually stopping the recording works, that makes me wonder if the date removal firmware we install is a full copy of the firmware or just a patch for part of it. I'd ask the vendor to replace your camera if he cannot find a solution.
Closed Thread