Old May 03, 2015, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
540 Posts
Discussion
using autozoom in simulator

My sim is just RealFly Mobile on a 10 1/4" tablet, so... be advised. Don't expect too much.

I was flying in "keep the ground in view" mode, but I realized that I still have a fundamental difficulty in pushing the sticks the right direction at the right time. If you want to climb (in simplified terms) you have to push the throttle away from you, but you have to pull the elevator toward you.

Then there's the "my left, pilot's left" orientation issue.

So I decided to heck with keeping track of the runway. It's the least realistic component of this simulator anyway - if my feet are on or beside a physical runway I'm not going to lose track of it, ever - and frankly, I'm more interested in practicing up, down, bank, elevator to turn, pilot's right, pilot's left, speed up, slow down...

So I changed the settings to "autozoom" so I could better focus on the plane. It seems to be helping.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2015, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by jetmanhuss
Joined Dec 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJeff View Post
My sim is just RealFly Mobile on a 10 1/4" tablet, so... be advised. Don't expect too much.

I was flying in "keep the ground in view" mode, but I realized that I still have a fundamental difficulty in pushing the sticks the right direction at the right time. If you want to climb (in simplified terms) you have to push the throttle away from you, but you have to pull the elevator toward you.

Then there's the "my left, pilot's left" orientation issue.

So I decided to heck with keeping track of the runway. It's the least realistic component of this simulator anyway - if my feet are on or beside a physical runway I'm not going to lose track of it, ever - and frankly, I'm more interested in practicing up, down, bank, elevator to turn, pilot's right, pilot's left, speed up, slow down...

So I changed the settings to "autozoom" so I could better focus on the plane. It seems to be helping.
Hi.

Basically you are right, and what you're doing is good.
There are lots of training 'subjects' when flying RC model airplanes in a simulator.
One of them is the 'basic orientation and handling' (the 'up,down,bank....).

Lot's of RC pilots get frustrated when losing the runway in the simulator. But I promise you that as you'll master the basics, you'll master your flight path and learn how to do some 'dead reckoning' (which is the process of guessing one's current position by using a previously determined position, and advancing that position based upon known or estimated speeds over elapsed time and course).

So, first thing to do is to master the handing and orientation. Use the same runway/flying sites in this stage, so you'll be able to "learn" and guess where is the runway, once you'll need to land, or perform a low pass etc.

After a while, you'll see that you can "leave" the ground, do loops, climbs etc. and then, take it lower and actually guess where is the runway and what it's aspect. (by the way, this skill required also in real flying, but a single-rapid head or eye movement will "fix" you to your position...
jetmanhuss is offline Find More Posts by jetmanhuss
Old May 03, 2015, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
540 Posts
Thanks.
Ive realized that I can land on the grass on this sim, so I get to practice the landing moves. And today, by "guess and by gosh", I was only about a plane wisth off being lined up on the runway. So yes, I'm getting a vague feeling for where the runway is. Go past the wind turbines, swing long & turn sharp... better.
I enjoyed having a successful landing.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff