New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Deerslayer
Kingston Ontario Canada
Joined May 2006
275 Posts
Thanks, guys! I look forward to hearing any other opinions, as well.

That setup did fly OK on the old F-16 before I planted it after a horrible hand launch - at least well enough to get me started. So, I may decide to use it again.

Just to clarify: When someone talks about, say, a 60mm ducted fan, that refers to ...? If I take a caliper and measure the diameter of the throat of the unit, I should see 60 mm, or perhaps 1 mm larger?
Or, is this another of those mysterious r/c things where the answer starts with, "It depends upon the manufacturer."
Deerslayer is online now Find More Posts by Deerslayer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2015, 11:23 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii View Post
You'll probably find a good bit more info over on the main thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post30661750

What you have is the 56mm XF-Fan and stock motor. Personally I would dump this and go with the CS10 fan (ChangeSun 10blade 70mm), Turnigy L2855-2100kv on 5s. It drops in with minimal sanding but you'll need to open up the exhaust a little. I've had 4 different setups in my EF-16 including the setup you have and this is by far my favorite.

Here's a little video of some doppler passes of mine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l4yZArDqFQk
That sounds amazing.
I have a NIB P3 F-16 that I bought back during the $29.99 sale and I am going to go with your setup.
Thanks.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2015, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by DamonH
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
4,552 Posts
That normally refers to the fan blade size. For example, a 70mm unit means the fan size is 70mm and the outer diameter of the shroud is bigger...usually like 72mm or a little more.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Feb 10, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
That sounds amazing.
I have a NIB P3 F-16 that I bought back during the $29.99 sale and I am going to go with your setup.
Thanks.
Thanks. I keep forgetting I have a full flight video of it, albeit not very good cause I filmed it with my iphone rubber banded to my hat. At least you can see how easy it is to launch with the high static thrust of this fan. I'm right handed and I launch it left handed standing still, it requires almost no effort. If you want this high static thrust though you need to open up the exhaust to 61-62mm.

Phase 3 EF-16 CS10 5s (3 min 8 sec)
dpowellmeii is online now Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Feb 10, 2015, 07:01 PM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
3,554 Posts
Did you make a 61mm thrust tube or simply use the foam fuse ?

And yes, apparently no need for a bungee !
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by sonny1
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I am somewhat confused, this being my first ducted fan plane after 35 years of r/c.

I have a new EF-16, the kit without the motor/fan. Meanwhile, from an older, crashed (5 or 6 years old) EF-16, I have a KBM12/EF motor and a 3-bladed fan. That did work well in the F-16, with a 2200 mah 3-cell LiPo, so why not use it in this new one - at least to start? Suggestions are welcome!

After wading through a lot of the posts here, I am still unclear as to what exactly I have vs. what is currently in vogue.

1. What determines the size of the ducted fan? Here are some measurements:

O.D. of the inlet shroud = 72 mm
I.D. of the inlet.duct = 57 mm Fan blade diameter would then be about 55mm
I.D. of the outlet - 59 mm
So, I am concluding that this is what is referred to as a 58 mm ducted fan. Presumably is is the approximate working area that is the way you define a ducted fan, not the mounting arrangement, right?

If I want to order a system for this, or some other plane, I would sure like to know that I would get what I think I had ordered!

Thanks, in advance, for any information you may provide!
Another option is using that fan with a Wicked motor on 3S, you can find stats listing that fan with various of Don's motors on his website: http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Feb 10, 2015, 07:58 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Did you make a 61mm thrust tube or simply use the foam fuse ?

And yes, apparently no need for a bungee !
I made a thrust tube from poster board so it's as smooth as possible for the airflow. I also made another exhaust nozzle from a paper cup. Air will leak out and you'll loose thrust if the fuse is not completely sealed. My lower intake is removable so a thrust tube is a must.

Check out the picture below of my setup.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-120-image.jpg
Old Feb 10, 2015, 09:02 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,132 Posts
Itc,

I figured I would answer the questions here so everyone may benefit.

- Did you fabricate the 61mm thrust tube?
- Any other modifications to fit the CS EDF unit.

Sorry I haven't got back to you, I just replied to your post. In addition to that I outlined where the fan would be mounted and slightly mashed the foam down so it would fit perfectly. Instead you could wrap some sandpaper around the fan housing and use it to sand out the foam.

- Thank you for the reply. I just ordered the fan and motor you used from DonsRC, balanced and ready to go.
- Did you install the lower fuselage half under the paper cup exhaust? Not quite sure looking at the picture/description.
- Also, I assume the servos protrude into the exhaust airflow slightly, it looks like cutouts in the thrust tube.

Don does good work, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Yes the lower intake does slide between the exhaust (cup) nozzle and the thrust tube. The top, underside of the exhaust nozzle is glued only to the top part of the fuselage.

The servos do not protrude into the thrust tube. They may push it in slightly but do not disrupt the airflow.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 09:12 PM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
3,554 Posts
Thanks again!
RCG Plus Member