Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:47 PM
naX
Find More Posts by naX
naX
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Discussion
Not sure if I want to FPV. Cheap/simply entry?

Now that I own a Blade 350 QX, I thought maybe I would like to try FPV. I'm not sure if I will like it or not so I don't want to put a huge investment into it. Is there a relatively cheap (I know, it's relative) and/or simple setup that I can put together to try it out before dropping larger sums of cash on better gear?

I am typically a "neighborhood" flier so a few hundred yards has been my max distance thus far. I don't think I need any sort of extreme range. I have my Gen. Class AR license so all good to go on that front, if it makes any difference.

Open to any and all suggestions!
naX is offline Find More Posts by naX
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,927 Posts
Yep.

Get yourself a simple sony board camera from HK or Foxtech along with a 5.8ghz 200mW Vtx and Vrx combo and to view it get a 7" screen from eBay and a cheaper pair of Skew Plannar Wheels, 1 for the Vtx and 1 for the Vrx (people will chime in and dispute that saying you will need a CloverLeaf for the Vtx but research has shown that two SPW's perform better than the CL and SPW, Circular Wireless have proven this).

Using the screen you will be able to watch the screen and peep over the top at the Quadcopter if you feel anxious at any time. If you end up liking it you can add to the gear you have bought to try it out. If you don't like it, you'll be able to sell the gear on for not much less than you bought it for pretty easilly enough.

So yeah man, go for it! But be warned, it is pretty addictive so be prepared to keep your hands in your wallet as it get expensive once you start to add to the gear with OSD's, more cameras, tripods and goggles as you will want to get further immersed once you start to enjoy it!

Welcome to the addiction my friend!!! Just jump in and have fun!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:27 PM
naX
Find More Posts by naX
naX
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Thanks! I'll take a look and give it a try.
naX is offline Find More Posts by naX
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by Trebmaster
Nanofpv
Joined Feb 2014
4 Posts
350 qx fpv

Here's my first FPV setup. Super easy and all plug and play.
Blade 350 QX
Spektrum DX6i radio
Fat Shark Teleporter V3: Goggles with receiver, 250mW transmitter, Pilot HD camera
And that's it ready to fly out of the box. Excellent flying and great range. Lost radio control and still had video at about 1/2 mile, but I suspect it was from cloudy/rainy weather and trees blocking line of sight.
Trebmaster is offline Find More Posts by Trebmaster
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Exavior1221
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2011
142 Posts
Fatshark is the way to go!

The price is cheap and is of good quality. I fly with the fatshark teleporter V3 as well. I just added a AEO G-OSD 3 and gopro hero 3 white. With the osd you'll get speed, alt. gps location and voltage. The gopro hero 3 is the best camera out. I will post picz of my setup soon.
Exavior1221 is offline Find More Posts by Exavior1221
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by Northern Flier
Joined Sep 2012
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Yep.

Get yourself a simple sony board camera from HK or Foxtech along with a 5.8ghz 200mW Vtx and Vrx combo and to view it get a 7" screen from eBay and a cheaper pair of Skew Plannar Wheels, 1 for the Vtx and 1 for the Vrx (people will chime in and dispute that saying you will need a CloverLeaf for the Vtx but research has shown that two SPW's perform better than the CL and SPW, Circular Wireless have proven this).

Using the screen you will be able to watch the screen and peep over the top at the Quadcopter if you feel anxious at any time. If you end up liking it you can add to the gear you have bought to try it out. If you don't like it, you'll be able to sell the gear on for not much less than you bought it for pretty easilly enough.

So yeah man, go for it! But be warned, it is pretty addictive so be prepared to keep your hands in your wallet as it get expensive once you start to add to the gear with OSD's, more cameras, tripods and goggles as you will want to get further immersed once you start to enjoy it!

Welcome to the addiction my friend!!! Just jump in and have fun!
This.
Northern Flier is offline Find More Posts by Northern Flier
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by rudyauction509
7 foot floater
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2013
502 Posts
If you want I can point you to a full beginners setup with plenty of range for well under $200 including vtx/vrx, antennas, camera, LCD. PM me for details.
rudyauction509 is offline Find More Posts by rudyauction509
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by MrMikeMartin
Multirotors, Planes, LOS, FPV
United States, MO, Moscow Mills
Joined Oct 2013
292 Posts
I have a Blade 350 also and it was my 1st FPV rig.
I used the FatShark Predator V2 kit and just velcro'd it on.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_5_8G_TX.html

I'm hooked. I'm currently building a ground station and researching a larger quad, (more airtime, payload)
Once you try it, I really think you'll be in for good.

Here's my original setup:

Name: IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 455.3 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 431.6 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0097.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 420.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0098.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 394.1 KB
Description:
MrMikeMartin is offline Find More Posts by MrMikeMartin
Old Jul 28, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by zewill
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2014
100 Posts
I was in the same situation as you :

got a setup for cheap :

Quanum FPV googles 55 bucks
200mw transmitter + receiver 25 bucks
Cheap sony FPV cam for 12-15 bucks

Even cheaper if you forget the Quanum and just get a screen but i wanted FPV, not a screen that would catch glare and be a nuisance so went ahaead and spent an extra 30 bucks for the setup, defo worth it.
zewill is offline Find More Posts by zewill
Old Jul 29, 2015, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by starcad
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,084 Posts
Just get one of these http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-700T...-p-965760.html As for goggles or monitor your on your own. I prefer goggles as I haven't seen a smart phone or tablet I can see in direct sunlight.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad