New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by aj8302
Joined Jan 2007
2 Posts
Thank you for the info. I love the way it came out great work. To bad I can't find a F 22 seems like no one makes it anymore was really looking to buy one in the future.
aj8302 is offline Find More Posts by aj8302
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2015, 04:20 AM
Find More Posts by crasha
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
358 Posts
Not sure if the F-22 is still available, i have heard rumours that it can be ordered direct from Jetlegend. May be worth sending them an email if your interested in one.

DbleX, the paint was sprayed in the back yard on a fold out table. Nothing fancy, just a gravity feed spray gun and an airbrush (and 3 rolls of masking tape) Thanks for checking out the build.

Here are a some great vids produced from my buddy Shirty. Great camera work and editing!!

F22 RAPTOR RC TURBINE JET HD (5 min 19 sec)

WOW JET WEEKEND May 2015 HD (5 min 40 sec)
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Old Aug 07, 2015, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by crasha
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
358 Posts
Gear doors at last!!!!!

Time to finally start finishing off the F-22. I have been putting off adding the gear doors as they can be a serious PITA. If not done properly they can cause issues on landing or gear retraction.

I have been playing around with the doors ever since the jet arrived two years ago. Each time I start fitting them I give up in frustration and leave them alone for a few months.

The biggest issue I have is that the doors are designed to use pneumatic rams. I have already converted the pneumatic landing gear to electric so want to have electrically actuated doors as well. This could be done with servos but there is plenty of load put on them during all phases of flight. Don't want to risk a servo burning out mid flight.

The best solution are lado door actuators, but due to the exchange rate they would cost almost as much as a sebart mini avanti

So as a compromise I am using rclander type actuators. The benefit of these are that they will hold the doors in place without consuming any power. They are only powered when operating and then shut off when they reach the extents of their limits. The downside is the over current protection buit into them does not cut in until the actuator has stalled for approx. 5 seconds. I have burnt out 2 of them playing around with door geometry. So to make them work they need to be able to travel their full length without binding. This needs a perfect mechanical setup to make the doors travel where they need to be.

After approx. 30 hours of testing and trial and error I have finally sorted out the nose gear doors. It was a huge amount of work as the area to place them is quite cramped and it all had to be done perfectly to make sure the gear woukd not catch on anything.

The doors are sequenced using the DX-18 tx. I love the sequencer in the 18! Makes it very easy to get perfect sequencing and allows each of the 6 doors to match the gears perfectly.

Now that the nose gear is working I just need to tidy up all the wiring and paint the doors.

Then the main doors. The lower ones are fairly straightforward. The upper doors still have me beat at this stage

Jetlegend F-22 nose gear door test (3 min 11 sec)
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha