HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2014, 04:40 PM View Post
pilotdude2
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while pilotdude2 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 08:00 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Why? I find laser cut kits a pain because I have to sand all the burn marks off the parts. It is easier to just cut your own.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Jul 06, 2014, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,520 Posts
Pat

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trolling.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 06, 2014, 10:02 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,071 Posts
Agree entirely on the goofy burn marks.
Routers do a much cleaner job, plus the kerf is not angled.
But one can wipe off 'most' of the burn using Bleach.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:27 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,541 Posts
I've never bothered to sand off the burn marks from laser cut parts and none of my airplanes have fallen apart.

Regarding this Kickstarter campaign, what guarantee do I have that you, pilotdude2, are not just going to purchase the new equipment and then fold up shop and go along on your merry way? I'm sorry but I think I would need more than just your word and your good intentions.
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:40 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,765 Posts
I'm with Chad on this one. The thing with Kickstarter is that backers have to trust that the sponsor will deliver. A similar Kickstarter campaign by Adrian Page was successful recently, but he is an established designer, well known here on RC Groups, with a stable full of proven designs. Good luck pilotdude, but you don't have enough track record to justify the risk of lending you my cash.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jul 07, 2014, 08:55 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
Forget a kickstart. I'm just building my own laser cutter by getting a nearly complete kit from http://www.lightobject.com/

I'm waiting for the XY to come in (next month) but then it will be one of my normal build threads, probably in the Builders Workshop.

I don't think I've ever sanded the soot off an edge except the same sanding I'd do for any other kind of kit. You certainly don't need to do it in order to get glue to adhere.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:22 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,406 Posts
I prefer to scratch build, not assemble jig-saw puzzles.

Real modelers, cut them selves, (and show their scars)
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:29 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
I enjoy the design, construction, and flying phases pretty much equally. A laser lets me enjoy more of all!

Andy
Has the scars to prove it!
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:10 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
859 Posts
There's no scars like laser scars.
jcpatrick is online now Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
Why would he get a laser cutter to start a business then be gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
I've never bothered to sand off the burn marks from laser cut parts and none of my airplanes have fallen apart.

Regarding this Kickstarter campaign, what guarantee do I have that you, pilotdude2, are not just going to purchase the new equipment and then fold up shop and go along on your merry way? I'm sorry but I think I would need more than just your word and your good intentions.
Why would he obtain a laser cutter and not use it to keep making money by selling kits in the future? That would be stupid. What good is a laser cutter if you can't or don't use it to make money? Even if he uses it to cut his own kits, he would still be able to make money by cutting kits for other people, or getting someone to work for him, at least part-time, to do it for him, still making money off it?
starjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by starjetpilot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
I'm with Chad on this one. The thing with Kickstarter is that backers have to trust that the sponsor will deliver. A similar Kickstarter campaign by Adrian Page was successful recently, but he is an established designer, well known here on RC Groups, with a stable full of proven designs. Good luck pilotdude, but you don't have enough track record to justify the risk of lending you my cash.

Steve
I just looked at Adrian Page's Kickstarter campaign (they keep them available to see even after the campaign ends) and it looks like he only has Gee Bee racers and Piper Cubs, with another "Gee Bee like" little racer that is more comical. If you look at pilotdude's qualifications and background on his Kickstarter campaign (see bio), it is pretty impressive. I would say he definitely knows what he is doing, and is totally legit. He is not currently having to work a full-time job, so has plenty of time to fill orders. He has also been involved in aviation his whole life according to his bio, so I don't think he would "f-over" a fellow aviation enthusiast/brother. Think about it, a person in his position would want to give the best service to his customers so his good reputation is passed out and around, which helps the business. It is not a "loan" anyway, as it uses credit card payments, and if he doesn't reach his goal in the campaign NO cards are charged, they are only charged if he gets at least the minimum he is asking for. So, if you don't get the promised rewards in a reasonable amount of time, you just call the credit card company and they do a "chargeback" and remove the amount owed on your card, and then THEY go after him.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
I prefer to scratch build, not assemble jig-saw puzzles.

Real modelers, cut them selves, (and show their scars)
If you have time and ENJOY cutting your own parts, then more power to you!!
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:36 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,561 Posts
I wan't particularly suspicious....until a brand new user starjetpilot turned up who "just happens to know" the OP and appears to have joined RCG specifically to support this kickstarter campaign.

BTW the answer to the question "Why would someone get a lot of other people to buy him something expensive that he could sell and then not use it to make kits etc ?" seems pretty obvious. But maybe I just don't understand business .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:57 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
There really isn't anything wrong with a kickstarter campaign to get going here.

You don't have to participate if you don't want to.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb