HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:59 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
692 Posts
Build Log
Home built cruiser the "Gort Maru"

This is a boat my grandfather designed and built in his backyard. Launched in 1964, he sold her in the mid-1980's. She was coldmoulded ply with a fiberglass outer skin, around 36 feet long and powered by twin 455 Olds engines. No one has seen her in many years, no idea if she's still "floating" around somewhere.

There are no plans that survive, only a bunch of memories and a couple of photo albums, so my plan is to model her by modifying an existing hull to use as a starting point. Using a fiberglass Chris-Craft hull, been working on changing the stem angle and filling in some of the hollow flare to more closely match the "Gort Maru" as her shape wasn't nearly as complex as the Chris Craft hull shape. When I get the shape close, I'll cover with a thin layer of fiberglass cloth.

She started out as a convertible. Then he added a hardtop, and eventually a flying bridge. My plan is to model the flying bridge version, as it's the one I remember the best.

A word about her name "Gort Maru". My grandfather did a lot of business in Japan. His last name "Gault" was always mispronounced as "Gort". When he launched the still unnamed boat, he got a telegram (joking I think) from an associate, congratulating him on his new "Gort maru". The name just stuck.

He passed in 1999, but he was (and still is) forever known by friends and family as the guy that built that huge boat in his backyard in Pasadena CA.

It's a ways down the road, but I will need to decide how to power this. I don't know when Mack Products will be back up and running, but does anyone have any opinions on Rich's 408CE kit used with the Dumas Trojan Cabin Cruiser kit? It should be about the same size and weight.

Almost forgot to mention, I'm mostly a sailboat guy. My only experience building a powerboat is a Dumas Chris Craft Racing Runabout. So any help and opinions will be much appreciated.

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:15 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
701 Posts
Great story and an amazing project. Love the old photos of boats at Avalon. My home away from home.

D
CaptDH is offline Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:06 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,346 Posts
This should be good

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:31 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,272 Posts
I'm guessing your hull is 63' Chris Craft fiberglass kit. It's made of some very heavy fiberglass. Do you have any other parts left from the kit? ( I might be interested)

If I was going to power this boat:

(2) Raboesch 4mm (threaded) watrerproof shafts (not sure on the length, 211mm maybe). Make sure it has a 6mm shaft tube.

(2) Raboesch heavy duty couplings. (2) Plain 4mm inserts (2) Plain 5mm inserts

(2) 35mm 3 bladed propellers (2 left hand)

(2) Turnigy XK4042 2000kv Brushless motors

(2) Turnigy 100A marine ESC

(2) 36mm to 40mm silicone cooling jackets.

(2) 40 x 26 mm rudders (Cornwall Model Boats)

(2) "Y" harnesses to plug into the radio receiver.

(2) Scratch built motor mounts made from 1 1/2" aluminum angle stock.

(2) Shaft struts made from scratch using flat brass and 7mm tubing stock.

I would go with a 10 degree shaft angle if possible.

I would use (2) 5000 mAh 25-70c 2s (7.2v) battery packs for power.

Radio: FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver ($39.00)

It would be the same as this setup, but you would be using bigger motors, longer shafts, bigger rudders, and bigger ESC's. The concept is identical.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1588859&page=3

With a 4mm shaft you can use brass or plastic and you can buy them threaded for easy installation. I like buying handful of cheap plastic props in different sizes to test them out. I'm not sure what M.A.C.K. offers for drive shafts, but 1/8" is too small and 3/16" is too big and bulky. You have to use nuts and other stuff to mount the props and hunting for different sizes in American Standard just sucks.

If you are currently not using Lipo batteries, you will need a good programmable charger.

You may use typical Ni-Mh batteries and a standard 5 Amp charger if you want.

You could talk to M.A.C.K. Products about rudders and there may be the possibility of removing the "oilite* bushings from one of his 1/8" shaft struts to fit a 6mm shaft tube inside. (4mm shafts use a 6mm shaft tube)

Just my opinion!
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Last edited by Tollytime; Nov 06, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:49 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
786 Posts
Great start of a build to a great subject. I really like to hear about the stories behind scratch built models. Subjects like these bring out the passion (and OCD) of the builders. Keep it up!

Bob
xx29l9 is offline Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:06 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Looks like you have a good start on the hull.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
I'm watching this build.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 07, 2013, 12:22 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
692 Posts
CaptDH,

Thanks. She spent at least 1 week every summer at Catalina. Usually in Avalon. Lot's of great memories there.

Tollytime,

Thanks for the input. Good food for thought. Sorry, all I have is the bare C-C hull, no other parts.

Kevin
Old Nov 07, 2013, 08:25 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Too Cool !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:35 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
692 Posts
According to my dad, he and my grandfather went down to check out the "brand new" Bertram 31 that was on display on a cradle in Newport Beach, CA...probably around 1961. They took photos and measurements, and that is what influenced the deep-vee design that became the "Gort Maru". The hull I'm using doesn't have enough "V" so I extended the keel all the way aft and moved the chines outboard with wood moulding, then made some athwartship "frames" to support a new plywood bottom. Kind of a strange exercise, but I think I'm getting a pretty close shape to the original. Mixed up a batch of West System with #403 filler and glued on the port side of the bottom today. I cut away the original bottom between the "frames" for access and to remove excess weight. Figure the "double bottom" will be a good place to put ballast if needed to get the boat to float on her lines. Hope to get the starboard side of the bottom done in the evening sometime this week.

...and a couple more pics from the photo album...

Kevin
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:43 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
692 Posts
Got the hull shape pretty well "roughed out". My plan is to pretty much give the hull a complete coat of West with 410 fairing compound, then sand it to finalize the shape and get it "close". Then I'll put on a layer of light glass cloth.

I've also been toying with modifying an old Spektrum DX5e transmitter to have two throttle sticks on the left side, similar to what xx29l9 did here

I'll start another thread if I have any success.

Kevin
Old Nov 20, 2013, 08:57 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Hi Kevin,

The shape of the hull looks just like the original.

Ed
Old Nov 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
692 Posts
Thanks Ed,

It's funny. I look at the thing from some angles and I think I'm pretty close, then I come back and look at it from another angle and it doesn't look "quite" right. Guess I'll just have to accept that I'll never get it "exact".

Kevin
Old Dec 01, 2013, 12:34 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
692 Posts
With some fairing compound and a lot of sanding, I think I'm as close as I will get to the hull shape of the original. This morning I put a layer of glass cloth on the starboard side. I used a great trick I "stole" from Ed Crowell to use clothes pins to weigh the cloth down around the edges so that it doesn't bubble at the tight corners. I'm using slow West hardener so I'll have to wait awhile before I trim and sand the edges and do the port side and transom.

Kevin
Old Dec 01, 2013, 03:46 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Wow ,you are making some nice progress. The clothes pin trick works pretty good. I can remember I was doing some fiber glassing and it kept lifting on the some edges and I was in a panic. It was due to kick off soon. There was a box of clothes pins on the floor and an Idea was hatched.

Ed