HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:17 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chq28 View Post
I'm getting ready to throw money down on a Motrolfly 5320. All this talk about needing weight up front, Is it worth getting the carbon fiber x-mount to save weight? Normally I would, but it sounds like this plane cold use a little extra weight up front.
if you are looking for the xtra weight up front I'd just leave the regular xmount and redrill the firewall holes. But redrilling doesn't bother me tho.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:37 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
if you are looking for the xtra weight up front I'd just leave the regular xmount and redrill the firewall holes. But redrilling doesn't bother me tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Without the lightened backplate it will not line up with the pre-existing blind nuts. You will have to redrill and use a nut on the inside to lock in your new screws or bolts. In hindsight I should of just kept the entire motor together and just redrill but I have no tools with me since moving.
Thanks guys I appreciate the info. Looking forward to getting this motor
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:57 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Quote:
So de-solder the BEC Pro from my ESC and put on some leads and plug in the receiver pack to the bec pro. And I guess I can then run my hitec 7955s at the 8volts.. What battery pack are you using ?
I know I am late to the party, but where are you trying to balance this model?

There is just no way that an 8s system with a 17oz motor will not balance.

I am useing the hacker A50-14l and my batteries are no where near being pushed forward, and I like a slightly nose heavy plane for more precision.

If you are useing the wing tube as a balance point then that would be your problem.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post

I am useing the hacker A50-14l and my batteries are no where near being pushed forward, and I like a slightly nose heavy plane for more precision.

If you are useing the wing tube as a balance point then that would be your problem.

Dennis
Could depend on the batteries...as, when I had the A50-12L (and A50-14L), which are both 15.35 oz. motors, with Thunder Power 4S 45C 3850mAH packs, I had to add 3oz. of lead right at the front of my V1 Extra to get it to balance very slightly nose heavy, with the batteries all the way forward.. V2's have a different motor box set-up, and it may be different.

I just installed a Hacker A60-5S (21oz.) in mine, and have 4400mAH packs, now, so, I can now move my packs back.

SteveveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:20 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
i wonder if the v2 extra is the difference in CG as compared to the V1. i dont know what they changed, but i figured i may just throw the idea out there
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:28 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
i wonder if the v2 extra is the difference in CG as compared to the V1. i dont know what they changed, but i figured i may just throw the idea out there
One area specifically changed is the motor box. The V1, was designed around the side carb DLE 30 and had a longer motor box. Right after it came out, DLE went to the rear cab version, so, 3DHS changed the motor box. The V1 had no electric motor box extension, which I believe the V2 has. And...the wings were beefed up, after a few wing failures.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:

Dennis
Dennis -- I am going to check the balance via the 5.25 inch to 6.00 inch points and see what I come up with... That is the recommended in the manual.

Update: Okay @ 6inchs and using my fingers to check balance she was level with batterys in the middle of the tray. Using the bungee or string didn't work at all on the wingtube. Now I will move it slightly fwd so it can be a bit nose heavy and fly it then tweak from there.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by livinma1; Jan 18, 2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:44 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,876 Posts
Here's some video of our boy Rob ( robj ) workin' his magic yesterday afternoon.
(hope this is the right thread for this plane, all those 3D jobs look alike to us jet guys)

...taught him everything he knows.

Extra 330 SC (4 min 32 sec)
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:36 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,162 Posts
supposed to tell people when you are filming them!!! That was the first flight onthe 72 in a month, bad weather and all. I'm officially over the slicks. Good job with the video!

BTW for those interested, the motor is a tacon big foot 110 on 8s with a 20x8. The prop is to much, likes a 19x8 but on the next flight i hit some mud on landing and broke it...and a pant!!

Still love this plane! Also I had just got to this field after flying the 87all afternoon, sounded like I was on the throttle a lot like the 87. yea love that plane to!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Last edited by robj; Jan 20, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:28 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
officially over the Slicks??

Dennis
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:31 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Dennis -- I am going to check the balance via the 5.25 inch to 6.00 inch points and see what I come up with... That is the recommended in the manual.

Update: Okay @ 6inchs and using my fingers to check balance she was level with batterys in the middle of the tray. Using the bungee or string didn't work at all on the wingtube. Now I will move it slightly fwd so it can be a bit nose heavy and fly it then tweak from there.

Great, move the batteries and go fly!!!!

Give us a report on the maiden, you will love it.

Dennis
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Great, move the batteries and go fly!!!!

Give us a report on the maiden, you will love it.

Dennis
Will do.. Probably won't happen until next weekend....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:22 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,184 Posts
Tell your son nice flight on that 72" Rob... I have heard the Tacon's have a lot of power, but a bit heavy, which is what this plane needs anyway....looked like it flew great!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:23 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,477 Posts
Wamsy - 3DHS 72" Extra 330 (5 min 13 sec)

Here is some Iphone video of my 72".
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post

Here is some Iphone video of my 72".
Great flying as always Wamsy....
RCG Plus Member