SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:50 AM
Backyard Bomber
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
Piccolo -vs- Hornet

Well i'm again considering a small heli. I do have quite a bit of stick time in the sims w/ FP helis. I do have a couple of questions about each of the helis. I notice that with the piccolo it has a motor dedicated for the tail fan. how often do you need to replace it because of wear? what kind of flight times can I expect with a 700mah nimh battery? (7cells) As I am a newbie to helis, with some experience, what heli do you think will be better in the longrun?
Bsmooth is offline Find More Posts by Bsmooth
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:06 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
You sure are asking for a bun fight with a Title like that.

Both Hornets and Piccilo's have problems.

The Hornet does has a proper transmission driven tail, but as stock it eats gears in crashes. The Piccilo has a seperate motor and avoids this, but it does wear out and cause drifting problems.

The FP Hornet does not need any special mixing and a cheap GWS gyro to fly. The piccilo needs revo mixing on normal gyro, or purchase of pico board or HH Gyro.

The Piccilo is mechincally simpler than the Hornet, but the Hornet IMHO is a better flyer.

I haven't flown a piccilo on 700 cells, but the FP Hornet gets around 8-9 minutes hovering.

-tim
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:21 PM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
The fp pic will get 8-10 minutes on a 700 8 cell pack, depends on the tweaking and flight.

I've never flown a hornet, but my pic is great even in quite small areas indoors. it is extremely durable!, but does have parts that need to be replaced out of the box. (ball in swash mod, landing gear will work but you will be CA'ing it back together after every rough landing)

Also heard the hornet it better on FF outdoors, being a little larger it has an advantage there.
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer
Old Feb 17, 2003, 03:34 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Re: Piccolo -vs- Hornet

Quote:
Originally posted by Bsmooth
As I am a newbie to helis, with some experience, what heli do you think will be better in the longrun?
Have you heard of a thing called a "Corona" - do a search for that here on Ezone and you may come to the conclusion that it's a better option as a first heli than either a Piccolo or a Hornet.

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Feb 17, 2003, 06:47 AM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
I started on a hornet and love it , but I would have to say get a piccolo. the hornet can be very challenging to build and get everything working right with no vibrations.
robw is offline Find More Posts by robw
Old Feb 18, 2003, 06:30 AM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Jan 2003
11 Posts
I learned on a corona and then went to a piccolo. I love both, but the corona is so durable to learn on.
kmeyer9 is offline Find More Posts by kmeyer9