HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2014, 06:44 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Betws-y-Coed
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Help!
Uk foam board

Hi mark here from North Wales uk , I have built a FT22 and powered it with a blue wonder however it will not fly on anything less than full throttle and then slowly ! . Is the foam board in the uk heavier than the USA ? . I have tried removing the paper from the inside but after half an hour soak in methylated spirits wont come off without shredding :-( , what can I do ? Bigger motor ?
markwoody is online now Find More Posts by markwoody
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2014, 07:30 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,178 Posts
How about some pictures ?

Prop on the right way round ?
Which motor, kv etc ?
What battery ?
What prop ?
Total flying weight ?
CG correct ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 01, 2014, 11:35 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Betws-y-Coed
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Prop is 8x3.8 (on the correct way)
motor is 24g 1500kv Blue Wonder brush less
ESC is 12a LBEC (all 3 bought as kit)
Battery is 3 cell ( tried a 2 cell but couldnt get the CoG )
CoG is spot on where it is on the plans (touch nose heavy if anything)
AUW , no idea , not got accurate scales yet
Built to the flite test plans ,with 5mm foamboard and their recommended motor etc
needs full throttle just to stay in the air ,no way pull vertical ,cant even do a loop !
this is my first RC plane ,first scratch build , i hope to get it going a bit better , dont need fast at this point in learning , but i do want it to be able to hold level flight
maybe i should just build a lighter airframe
markwoody is online now Find More Posts by markwoody
Old Sep 01, 2014, 02:04 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,178 Posts
Too much weight can be a major problem with the smaller models, especially the lower powered ones, so always try to keep the weight down.

Sorry, can't help a lot, never used the Blue Wonder motor or foam board, (prefer Depron).

Also the battery size/weight can make a difference. For that size of model I would have thought a max 1000mAh 3s, anything bigger is just weight.

You could try a different prop, perhaps a GWS HD 7x6, but if the planes heavy, it may not make much difference.

Build light, enjoy the flight.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 02:09 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,178 Posts
If you are thinking of building another F-22, there are plenty of versions here in this forum.

Just use the 'Search this Thread', (upper right in the Foamies forum), enter F-22, also set it to 'Show Threads'. Plenty of free plans in the forum as well, look under the 'Sticky' threads at the top.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 02:27 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,884 Posts
I run a 1700kV Blue Wonder motor on a 3S800mAh pack and a 7x5 prop. AUW of the 80cm span model is around 280gram and it has unlimited vertical performance.

You don't say what the capacity of your lipo pack is. What RX and servos?
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot