HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:14 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined May 2010
164 Posts
Just finished my first weekend of flying with my ZMR250 from Banggood and this is now my favourite quad to fly.
Did a 1k flight down the beach and then some proximity flying in the trees and it handled both with out any problems.

Defiantly a keeper.

Weekend Fun with the ZMR250 (4 min 43 sec)
crash_1958 is offline Find More Posts by crash_1958
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:40 PM
United States, NJ, Edgewater Park
Joined Dec 2013
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_1958 View Post
Just finished my first weekend of flying with my ZMR250 from Banggood and this is now my favourite quad to fly.
Did a 1k flight down the beach and then some proximity flying in the trees and it handled both with out any problems.

Defiantly a keeper. ]
Looks great,nice video,makes me want to try FPV asap. Never tried it before.

Good tune in the video too. What's the name of the song?
RC_Flying is offline Find More Posts by RC_Flying
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:47 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
United States, WI
Joined Oct 2013
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Flying View Post
Looks great,nice video,makes me want to try FPV asap. Never tried it before.

Good tune in the video too. What's the name of the song?
FPV is so fun... definitely worth getting into.

The guys in this thread could help with great setups too!
RC2211 is offline Find More Posts by RC2211
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:03 PM
Joined Dec 2013
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2211 View Post
FPV is so fun... definitely worth getting into.

The guys in this thread could help with great setups too!
I would probably get a Frksy module for my Turnigy 9X transmitter to do long range flying,don't think my Spektrum DX6i and OrangRX receiver could travel 1k.I will do some more reading about long range receivers.

Any tips on which receiver and module to get would be appreciated.

Along with this FPV RX/TX : Boscam FPV 5.8G 600mW 32CH Wireless Transmitter Receiver TS832 RC832

http://www.banggood.com/FPV-5_8G-600...2-p-84771.html
Last edited by RC_Flying; Aug 24, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:16 PM
Switching to guns!!!
Littleton, CO
Joined Dec 2009
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Those EMax are SilLabs based chips fr what I can see in the photos.

Therefore, it can run BLHeli. Not SimonK. Despite the misleading name of "Simon Series"

I believe it already comes flashed with BLHeli.
Correct on all counts. Romeo (MassiveRC) has some Emax ESC's on the way. I asked the same question, and Emax confirmed with him that they are indeed using customized BLHeli firmware, despite the misleading name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelis View Post
Is there any advantage to get SimonK ESCs over BLHeli ESCs?
I was also thinking of getting those Emax 12A ESCs...
The Emax ESC's are said to be quite good. I just maidened today on a set of them, and they work great. From what I've read, BLHeli firmware is more stable / compatible than SimonK.
CO_rcDude is offline Find More Posts by CO_rcDude
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:20 PM
Quad fun for everyone!
United States, WI
Joined Oct 2013
634 Posts
Quote:
I would probably get a Frksy module for my Turnigy 9X transmitter to do long range flying,don't think my Spektrum DX6i and OrangRX receiver could travel 1k.I will do some more reading about long range receivers.

Any tips on which receiver and module to get would be appreciated.

Along with this FPV RX/TX : Boscam FPV 5.8G 600mW 32CH Wireless Transmitter Receiver TS832 RC832

http://www.banggood.com/FPV-5_8G-600...2-p-84771.html
I would start off with a shorter range setup first, to make it an easier learning curve and less chance of a bad accident (lost quad ).

I actually like the Boscam 8 channel 5.8Ghz 200mw VTx/VRx for an FPV beginner setup. It is a very cheap, very easy to use and a perfect starting point (usually sold $50-60, HK has it and probably BG), paired with good CP antennas. Should get you at least 300 (probably more) yards of range with antennas placed properly. For that, any diversity or full range Rx will easily get you the range.

After some practice it is easy to beef up the system for great range.
RC2211 is offline Find More Posts by RC2211
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:21 PM
Joined Dec 2013
527 Posts
Thanks for the insight guys on the Emax esc's. Nice to have more options for esc's.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:21 PM
United States, WV, Fairmont
Joined Oct 2009
691 Posts
Some of you have mentioned the old and new GemFan 6x3 props...
How do you tell the difference?

Also, I have some black ones, and gray ones, the gray ones are MUCH stiffer than the others.
Anyone tested those?

Cant wait for the rest of my parts to get here so I can get this quad built!!!!!
jtice is online now Find More Posts by jtice
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:30 PM
Re-kitting planes since 1990
Australia, WA, Beldon
Joined Jun 2013
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Was thinking about trying different esc's.

Has anyone used the Emax 12amp ESC's with SimonK?

If so,what is your experience with them?

Do they have heat sinks?
I've been using the Emax 12A "Simon series" ESCs on my cloneout, and they work really well. Don't seem to get hot, very stable, plenty of power.

As others have said, they run BLHeli, not simonk. For some reason the marketing people thought that simonk sounded better than blheli (despite from what I understand blheli being at least as good, if not better than blheli, especially for small mini pancake motors).

The only funny thing about them is the startup tones... they go on for a while!

Recommended
nebbian is offline Find More Posts by nebbian
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:31 PM
Joined Dec 2013
527 Posts
Quote:
I would start off with a shorter range setup first, to make it an easier learning curve and less chance of a bad accident (lost quad ).

I actually like the Boscam 8 channel 5.8Ghz 200mw VTx/VRx for an FPV beginner setup. It is a very cheap, very easy to use and a perfect starting point (usually sold $50-60, HK has it and probably BG), paired with good CP antennas. Should get you at least 300 (probably more) yards of range with antennas placed properly. For that, any diversity or full range Rx will easily get you the range.

Sounds good.The other day I ordered the Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set with Monitor (KIT) from Hobbyking,some omnidirectional anntenna's and already have a Lumenier CP-520 Pico - 520TVL Nano Camera I was going to use for a micro quad. So I just need the RX/TX.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:33 PM
Switching to guns!!!
Littleton, CO
Joined Dec 2009
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice View Post

Also, I have some black ones, and gray ones, the gray ones are MUCH stiffer than the others.
Anyone tested those?

Cant wait for the rest of my parts to get here so I can get this quad built!!!!!
Apparently, the orange and green ones are the newer ones (they didn't make those colors in 6030 before). However, I don't know how you could tell the difference between the newer black glass mix ones versus the old black carbon mix ones.
CO_rcDude is offline Find More Posts by CO_rcDude
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:35 PM
MultiRotor Builders
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2013
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice View Post

Anyone tested those?

The blades are super thin.. You almost tweak them tightening the nut down for the prop. They are also black, I think the newer ones are grey.
FLDataTeK is offline Find More Posts by FLDataTeK
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:38 PM
United States, WV, Fairmont
Joined Oct 2009
691 Posts
Well I have black 5x3 and 6x3 and the grey 6x3 to try on this quad.
I will let you guys know how they do, but by feel, unless they are brittle, the stiffer grey ones seem like they would do great and provide a ton of power.
jtice is online now Find More Posts by jtice
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:38 PM
MultiRotor Builders
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2013
524 Posts
Quote:

I'd suggest a Boscam TS5823 due to its smaller size and can run off of 2S-6S batteries if he was going to start in the 200mw range. Other wise I would get its bigger brother the TS58500 500mw 32 channel

Its also a 32 channel vTX.
FLDataTeK is offline Find More Posts by FLDataTeK
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:45 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Oct 2013
109 Posts
just threw some FC 6045 props on my RCX 1806.. holy crap.
medimatt is online now Find More Posts by medimatt