HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,019 Posts
30 minutes flights with 5-10 kg payloads, maybe more.
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
3,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
Another breakthrough. As far as I know, this is the first use of Arducopter on a gas powered helicopter. This opens up a world of possibilities:
That thing sounds like my weedwhacker. Is that a little 2 stroke engine?
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Franklin, TN
Joined Jul 2005
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
I use the S.Bus to CPPM converter

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-sbus-converter.html

To connect my RX using S.Bus to my APMS using CPPM

it is 8 channels this way but you can use 8 channels PWM on the RX as well to do other things

I have my S.bus set for channels 1-8 and then PWM 9-16

So my APM gets 8 channels with a single wire cPPM and my gear and gimbal can use the other 8 channels not through the APM if that makes any sense.
I just setup both of my APM quads with this and its great to only have one wire from RX to APM. Very clean and as was stated I now have 8 more channels off the RX for other stuff if I need it.
twilliams is online now Find More Posts by twilliams
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,019 Posts
Quote:
That thing sounds like my weedwhacker. Is that a little 2 stroke engine?
It's a Zenoah G29RC, basicallly a little weedwacker engine, yet. Pretty common in gasser helis. They don't have fantastic power/weight, but are very reliable.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3,824 Posts
Quote:
It's a Zenoah G29RC, basicallly a little weedwacker engine, yet. Pretty common in gasser helis. They don't have fantastic power/weight, but are very reliable.
Good god that is expensive! It's odd how it looks like just about every engine for weedwackers and blowers and what not. But I guess it would be far more reliable than electric motors and everything needed to keep them spinning
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,019 Posts
As I understand it, it really is just taken out of a weedwacker, or chainsaw. They just sell it prepped for hobby use. Reliability compared to electric motors, I guess we'll see. Brushless motors should be very reliable, but they seem like they're not in practice.
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3,824 Posts
Quote:
As I understand it, it really is just taken out of a weedwacker, or chainsaw. They just sell it prepped for hobby use. Reliability compared to electric motors, I guess we'll see. Brushless motors should be very reliable, but they seem like they're not in practice.
Is the gas feed pressurized? I would think flying inverted would starve the carb and down it would come.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:15 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Is the gas feed pressurized? I would think flying inverted would starve the carb and down it would come.
Just a Walbro carby (or copy) which includes an engine pressure driven fuel pump..
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Today, 04:00 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,067 Posts
Quote:
The principle of electric motors means they ARE very reliable. It's just that the RC marked is saturated by low grade cheap motors and electronics made by inexperienced factory workers and no QA.

One of my other interests is electric bicycles. And my daily workhorse bike that I use for commuting to work has now done more then 20.000km. The bike has literally been rebuilt many times as parts wear out, but never a motor problem.
jab is online now Find More Posts by jab
Old Today, 05:42 AM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
Just a Walbro carby (or copy) which includes an engine pressure driven fuel pump..
Yep, it's not a problem. Guys do acrobatics with these machines.

jab: Yep, that's why I said "should" be reliable. The only part that should be subject to wear and failure is the bearings, which should last a long, long time. Part of the problem with multirotors is, I think, trying to pack too much power into a small motor, with undersized shafts and bearings.

But that being said, the biggest problem really is just poor manufacturing. They're cranking these things out on worn out CNC machines that can't cut a round bore, so the bearings die prematurely. And/or, using cheap bearings. Poor winding techniques, etc.

I have the new KDE motors on my quad, and they should be very reliable indeed.

But, we also have a problem with ESC's. That is probably due to again, poor manufacturing, but also amateurish design and software. For one thing, a lot of problems are caused by using a time-analog control signal in a very electrically noisy environment. This is what is causing problems for everybody in the larger motor sizes.

Anyway, one guy has already given me the guilt trip on my video. People have to keep in mind, that even if I "fly electric", I have to run a generator on the ground to charge the batteries. So I'm still burning gas. The gas heli just skips a step.
Old Today, 05:52 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
Walbro was carb of choice for all my gasers. When I was a tool and die maker AND we made STUFF in USA, I made dies for Walbro carbs, and many others like Stromberg, Carter and Holly. Walbro had tightest QC of all. I bet they are made off shore now!
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Today, 05:55 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,046 Posts
[QUOTE=jab;29487257]The principle of electric motors means they ARE very reliable. It's just that the RC marked is saturated by low grade cheap motors and electronics made by inexperienced factory workers and no QA.

The 3 phase motors we use today are fantastic to the brushed motors we used in 90's. The small micro birds that still use brushed motors are plagued with early motor failures!
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Today, 07:36 AM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,019 Posts
Yep, most brushless motors are definitely better than brushed motors back in the day. Well... no more headaches with brushes. But I never had bad bearings back then. Now you get that due to poor machining. I've got a bunch of NTM motors that are junk.