HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,474 Posts
Lot of cool features, but a bit disappointed that the medium wide mode is only available at
1080p res. I use that res and FoV today, but I've been wanting 720p @ 60fps in medium wide
since they originally announced the Hero2 would have it (but ultimately didn't).
I know H3 now has 1080p @60fps but it's going to burn through card space at a furious pace.

The new aspherical lens does appear to have less barrel distortion, which is nice.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:14 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Yeah, more space used up for sure... at least sd cards are down pretty low these days for class 10.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
still SEVERAL seconds of video lag in the wireless preview.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
81 Posts
The black edition has a Improved low light*
Wonder how much better that would be
frviana is offline Find More Posts by frviana
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:12 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
The hd 2 was a big step ahead in terms of low light handling so if it is as good as they claim ( 2 times better ???) that will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frviana View Post
The black edition has a Improved low light*
Wonder how much better that would be
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
The black edition seems cool but is also a giant disappointment bc there no analog video out so how will I use it for Fpv? Maybe someone will be able to figure something out. I mean all the new settings are cool but micro SD card that's dumb. I'd rather them have kept the camera the same size. It's smaller but it's not enough to make a real difference unless us Fpv fliers could use it for Fpv. Now we have to add a whole separate camera to use as our Fpv cam and use the new gopro to record. So the weight they shaved just got put back on by another camera. I'm sure I'll get the black edition but I only see myself using it in my Z2 and my y6 because they can handle an extra cam.

Dies anyone know if it can do different fields of view at let's say 720p @120fps? Bc the wide angle kills me!

Seems like a great product overall but it also seems by the fascination of making a already tiney cam smaller really made it lose alot of good features.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:29 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Dies anyone know if it can do different fields of view at let's say 720p @120fps? Bc the wide angle kills me!
Nope. The specs show the medium FoV is still only available at 1080p res.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:43 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Nope. The specs show the medium FoV is still only available at 1080p res.

ian
Wow even more of a dissapointment. I feel like they rushed this one out. The hero 2 is still an awesome cam. I kind of feel like gopro kind of got a big ego and released the 3 with some good improvements but they took alot of what made the 2 great away. Same way I think apple got big heads and released the 5 and it's nothing special. But seriously why take away the SD card spot and analog video out? Why did the gopro need to be smaller? Any smaller and I won't be able to hold it lol.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:38 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,384 Posts
Im definitely gonna wait until until some practical everyday users post results...no rush to spend 400 bucks
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:43 AM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
I ordered yesterday, the specs are quite amazing and very much look forward to 1080p at 60fps. In addition to FPV.. looks like I have a new cam to take awesome timelapses at 4k and other very interesting shots
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:51 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
Im definitely gonna wait until until some practical everyday users post results...no rush to spend 400 bucks
Same here my hero 2 is fine for me now I'll wait till I see some results and if anyone can figure out how to actually make it useable as an Fpv cam.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:57 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
OK dumb question if I may.
I look at a lot of Gopro FPV footage on my computer. When I select 1080 as the D/L resolution It plays back a bit jumpy. I mean it seems like the frame rate is slow enough to actually produce jerky playback. I thought it was probably my laptop not being able to keep up with it until I saw the new Gopro 3 Demo add. It was beautiful and played back smoothly. Is that due to the faster frame rate in HD?

Thanks,

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:00 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
OK dumb question if I may.
I look at a lot of Gopro FPV footage on my computer. When I select 1080 as the D/L resolution It plays back a bit jumpy. I mean it seems like the frame rate is slow enough to actually produce jerky playback. I thought it was probably my laptop not being able to keep up with it until I saw the new Gopro 3 Demo add. It was beautiful and played back smoothly. Is that due to the faster frame rate in HD?

Thanks,

Tom
It's likely youtube's player is easier on your computer than your video codec.

Download VLC media player and try it again.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:02 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
You know the problem with this forum? It takes so long to get a response from an honest question.......Thanks I will load the player.

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:28 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
What? Dude that was like 10 minutes!
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014