SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:57 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
Discussion
steam engine choices

HELP! is there anything between the Midwest steam engines and the engines that cost more then my monthly mortgage?
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,300 Posts
Yes, the Graham engines,

http://www.grahamind.com/stengine.html
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:11 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Heartily second Toms nomination and add the wonderful PM research V twin machined kit ..A twin For $160 or so that will power a 40" plus hull

http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/p...0&cat=4&page=2

No boiler but also in the top 3 to recommend in my book
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:49 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,393 Posts
Alas, I've found no ready-made boilers in the "more than Midwest, but less than National Debt" cost bracket. I think that's because it's easier to learn how to machine metal (and make an engine), than to learn how to build a pressure vessel. Plus, CNC can cut metal precisely, but there is no CNC-equivalant for boilers. Graham engines (well recommended) are CNC, I believe.

If you are new to steam, I'd recommend the Midwest Heritage setup - I see 10 min runs for a 2' paddlewheel hull, and 20 min runs for a 4' prop freighter. Adding complexity to motor performance (reverse, self-starting, throttle) or to boiler (feedwater, whistles, gauges, sightglass) considerably increases the System cost.

A fancier engine requires a fancier boiler. It's sort of like replacing a brushed motor with a brushless - more expensive motor requires a more sophisticated ESC and bigger batteries. Model steam does not have the number of modelers as electric planes, so we don't get to spread the factory costs over more customers.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 01, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:21 PM
USA, Mt, Great Falls
Joined Nov 2006
417 Posts
I'm going to build my next boiler. I can understand the price of an engine but not the prices of boilers
Deserteagle is offline Find More Posts by Deserteagle
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:33 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
You just need to learn the art of silver soldering and annealing copper sheet and tube. I would suggest calling the local plumbing, rain gutter and sheet metal shops and beg for some scraps of copper remnants. Tell them you are building a scale model steam engine and boiler and they may help you out. They like to know that you are making something completely out of their realm and not threatening to their profit making.
You can even build your boiler shell completely out of rolled copper sheet.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:08 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
I'm going to build my next boiler. I can understand the price of an engine but not the prices of boilers
Good for you that's what I like to hear, you give it a go and keep posting your progress.
Be prepared for the price of copper and sliver solder, it may give you a shock at the cost of materials to build your own boiler.
George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:43 AM
USA, Mt, Great Falls
Joined Nov 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooyah View Post
Good for you that's what I like to hear, you give it a go and keep posting your progress.
Be prepared for the price of copper and sliver solder, it may give you a shock at the cost of materials to build your own boiler.
George.
Yeah this is true but luckily I bought a 8 foot pipe 4" in diameter about 3 years ago for $30 and a bunch of silver solder as well so I hope I can build a boiler for less than $600 USD
Deserteagle is offline Find More Posts by Deserteagle
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:04 AM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Great score on the copper tube!
Would you be interested in selling 12" of that to me?
Kind regards,
Giovanni
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:39 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
Yeah this is true but luckily I bought a 8 foot pipe 4" in diameter about 3 years ago for $30 and a bunch of silver solder as well so I hope I can build a boiler for less than $600 USD
Hey, you are one lucky Dude
In the U.K. we can only buy copper tube from model engineers suppliers and a 12" length of 4" dia x 16 swg ( 1/16" thk ) tube would cost you 32.
I wouldn't advertise the fact that I had as much or you will have everybody and their uncle wanting a piece.
George.

P.S. I see that they are already there.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:48 AM
Germany, RP, Simmern
Joined Sep 2011
33 Posts
Here you can also find some attractive steamplants for boats. It`s a german manufacturer but they will also deliver to the US as far as I know.
http://www.regner-dampftechnik.de/

Happy steaming,
Andreas
steamer68 is offline Find More Posts by steamer68
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:32 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Thanks Andreas,
There is a US dealer for Regner and thier prices are very good.
http://www.traindept.com/
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer68 View Post
Here you can also find some attractive steamplants for boats. It`s a german manufacturer but they will also deliver to the US as far as I know.
http://www.regner-dampftechnik.de/

Happy steaming,
Andreas
Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:12 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
are there any good plans or drawings for making a boiler out of 4"copper pipe?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34