flew my cub yesterday when i should have been putting together my t-28
unfortunately the 480 and flattened wing have been too much fun
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,880 Posts
That is the exact same times that it is best to fly here in Oceanside, CA. I usually get up early on Saturday and Sunday to take advantage of the calm early AM wind. 4 or 5 of us meet at an empty industrial property (we have permission to fly there) and fly until about 10 or 10:30 when the wind starts to come up. I fly my Champ first thing to warm up and then I alternate flying my Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos and Hobbyzone Super Cub. I have a Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale RTF coming this Thursday. I will build her Friday and maiden her on Saturday. It's gonna be a long week until Saturday. This Friday I also will pick up my new Spektrum DX7s TX........can't wait!!
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:17 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Scratch one plane off the list.

I was flying the TB-20 Ghettoflyer Sunday. I decided to do a roll, but just by the time I leveled out, the right wing gave in, separating from the craft, making for a spectacular "landing."

Luckily I decided to use all my crappy electronics on the plane so there are no $50 digital servos damaged. But the resulting impact of the crash has totalled the weak foam fuselage and has also left the metal motor mount bent, which I "un-bent" to its normal shape. Motor was not too badly damaged (interestingly) as it nosed into a patch of grass on loose soil. This officially puts an end to the TB-20's short-lived 5-year service (during which 3 years it spent "dormant").

On a lighter note, my PC-6 is almost finished covering. Unfortunately, to my great distress, I cannot find the cockpit windshield. Maybe somebody in the house threw it away as trash thinking the plastic piece was nothing useful. Time to somehow devise a contraption to enable me to create a replacement...
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,880 Posts
I decided to put new props and spinners on my Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos so naturally I had to go out and try them out. Around 6:50 PM I headed to the flying field me and my buddies meet at on the weekends. Wind was blowing greater than 6 mph, according to the Oceanside, CA airport wind condition report. I put her up and she was fighting the wind at 3/4 throttle. I'm actually getting pretty good flying in wind. Just a wee bit of down elevator and she flies great against the wind. The only problem was the setting sun. It was right in my face so I stood in line with a tree that actually blotted out the sun. Fantastic. I had her up for 2 batteries, with the wind, a total of about 25 minutes. Well worth it though, Both my landings were excellent. They were both perfect 3 point landings on asphalt and not a hint of a jump, just perfectly smooth. I love this FB Stratos. I should have taken my HZ Super Cub too. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. What a way to end the day.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Managed several flights this afternoon. Took out my new HK Retro Pioneer, Bixler with GoPro mounted, PZ Mustang (power 10 version) and my FMS 1400mm T28 Trojan.

Conditions were close to perfect. Just ordered some Pizza and put my feet up waiting for it to arrive.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:14 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,312 Posts
Going to be another hot one today. To hot to fly yesterday so the pool came to life instead. The H9 Corsair and E-Flite Rhapsody are loaded this morning waiting for a cup of coffee then out to see how long I last. I get the feeling I'll be headed back to the pool by noon though.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,147 Posts
Maybe this evening. Hoping to re-maiden my repaired Extra 300. Probably take the Eflite Grasshopper and J-3 Cub out as well. If I don't get out this evening the weekend is looking good. Although very hot.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Maybe this evening. Hoping to re-maiden my repaired Extra 300. Probably take the Eflite Grasshopper and J-3 Cub out as well. If I don't get out this evening the weekend is looking good. Although very hot.
Nice. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow evening and maiden my other 63" Gee Bee Y Senior Sportster. That is if I get her done tonight
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,147 Posts
Well, It hasn't been a good couple of evenings. Two evenings ago I remaidened my Extra 300. The flight went great. I loved the new prop, motor combo I put on it, but on approach I tip stalled it trying to avoid a truck someone parked and abandoned on our runway. Tore the wing off and broke the fuse again.

Last evening I maidened my HK Ryan STA. I was worried about its wieght. Throttle up and off it went. No wieght problems. Flying great. About 30 seconds into the flight the motor cut out. I was bringing it around dead stick and decided to engage the flaps. Mistake. It pratically stopped in the air spinning straight down and on top of an office building at the end of our runway. I performed my best spiderman and retrieved the plane. Broken wing,broken prop, bent shaft, burnt ESC.

I assume the ESC burnt up during flight. I suspected it didnt have enough ventalation. Lesson learned. If you suspect there might be a problem. Correct it before maiden. Stupid!

Through all of this I did manage to get about 7 good flights in on my Eflite Grasshopper, but on it's last flight. It lost it's battery cover. Argh! I didn't even see it fly off!

The Extra is repaired. I epoxy'd the wings on and fixed the fuse. I'll re-re-madien this evening wind permitting.

Sometimes this hobby can be so frustrating.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:08 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I WANT to go out flying, but it's too damned HOT!!!! No shade, no breeze(wheres a little wind when you need it?)It's so hot the covering on my planes is affected. I'm sure you Texas/Alabama/Ms. guys agree. End of the world HOT??? Dave?Z ///PS.. I was thinking about this heat and the effort it takes to get out and fly. As I really like working on things I believe I may sell my planes and get back into 600-700 size helicopters. I can move them in and out doors without disassembling them and can fly right outside my door which will save me from a hot truck ride out to my airstrip and everything else. I know I will have more "not so perfect" flights but heck then I can stay inside in the A/C and piddle on 100's of tiny parts. Go back to where I started.. ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Last edited by zeezee; Jun 23, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,147 Posts
Ok. I feel better. Four great flights this evening. Two on my 800mm T-28 and two on the repaired Extra.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:31 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Someone had a bad landing.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:41 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Someone had a bad landing.
You think that is a bad landing? Ask the pilot about how hard it is to land inverted on a marquee cover.

IMO, that is a great landing!
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:25 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
That landing looks like a lucky break for the pilot. Plane doesn't look too bad. This is bad:
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:01 PM
Intermediate boob
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2009
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
That landing looks like a lucky break for the pilot. Plane doesn't look too bad. This is bad:
Wow, that looks painful. I can almost feel your pain from thousands of miles away. I don't even need my Jedi senses to know that that was painful. Helis are much more expensive to fix too, if possible at all.

(I have pictures of my catastrophic crashes with little bits of foam and plastic spread over a good 500 square feet of real estate. Every time I look at the pic, I feel my lunch coming back for a visit. You're a great man to out your pain like that).
demuddy is offline Find More Posts by demuddy