HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2013, 03:21 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
736 Posts
Discussion
If there were an R/C sailplane Hall of Fame..

OK, this thread could be both interesting and fun. Let's populate a virtual Hall of Fame for R/C Sailplanes.
Here's the premise:
You may nominate any R/C sailplane (Thermal duration, slope, electric-powered, or scale) you desire using this format:
  • A picture of the plane
  • Its date of introduction and specifications.
  • A BREIF defense of why it belongs.
Once a sailplane is posted, you may:
  • Add additional reasons it belongs (+1's aren't appropriate - give a reason)
  • Add additional historical information.
  • Present a reasonable case for not including a nominated model.
If this goes well, there might be a spot on the LSF web site for the Hall.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2013, 04:38 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
You may like to take a peek at
http://www.rc-soar.com/classic/classicidx.htm
to remind your self on some of the contenders
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Nov 05, 2013, 05:27 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,357 Posts
The Legionair 140-TD ship
Cecil Haga design from the mid 1970s
140" wing span
Unknown( to me) airfoil
Light wing loading but yet had penetration for wind
Glass and aluminium pod and bom with built up empennage and wings
Was one of the Big Kahunas of RES sailplanes back in it's day even though not commonly seen
Aluminium spar along with box spar construction and wing sheeting it would take any old style 6 volt winch shot without flinching and could stop a winch cold in a breeze.
Excellent cross country ship and with it's long wing span, visibility when high flying in boomer thermals were a snap.
I loved mine and she took me through my Level II with ease. She definitely had a wow factor when you showed up at the field if that counts for something.

A bit personal but she's my nominee.

The OLY II is a shoe in too, just has to be.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2013, 05:39 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
+1
Sorry Jim, You know I don't follow rules very well but Leadchucker said all I can. I am just showing off the two I have.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:38 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Joe... You have too many models... What's that? No such thing?!?!

PS... Legionairs used a thinned Clark Y. I believe it was 8%... if I remember correctly...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Last edited by schrederman; Nov 06, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
I've heard it's an 8% totally Cicil Haga designed in the Boeing wind tunnel. I've seen Tom Gressman keep his up for an hour plus.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:55 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
...... I've seen Tom Gressman keep his up for an hour plus.
Forgot to mention my 140 gave me my personal best thermal duration flight on 2 hours 35 minutes. They do get stuck to the sky rather well.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:07 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW View Post
You may like to take a peek at
http://www.rc-soar.com/classic/classicidx.htm
to remind your self on some of the contenders
Thank you very much for the link. They are all listed with just a few greats missing.

The Best overall performing design is Otto's Challenger. I have witness Otto flying his Challenger in 25 mph winds at contests in Dayton, Ohio, Detroit, Mi, St Joseph, MI several times. It will also float like a butterfly in evening light air conditions. One of the key's to the design's versatility is the nearly full span flaps. I watched Otto return from speck out downwind max flights in those 25 mph winds, with fully loaded ballast compartments and reflexed flaps at unbelievable speeds. I watched him save a flight in a Detroit contest from the top of the weed line in 25 mph wind, spec it out nearly out of sight down wind and return to the high point of the landing tape.

I asked Otto why he never bowed the wings when launching in those winds, he said, I just take it easy going up. Actually, he was a master at playing those flaps, all his launches looked the same regardless of wind and all his launches were the highest in any contest he attended. There are times I launch my Challenger with the flaps slightly reflexed, so he must have had multiple flap settings for various conditions. I have the rights to all his designs, one he named "The Challenger". This is not a published design, but there are witness's that can verify Otto designed and flew it prior to the AMA's Nostalgia Rules cut off date. The "published" part of the NOS rules is why I refer to the rules as Commercial Nostalgia. I know who this post will bring out of the woods ..

The bottom line on Otto's Challenger design is versatility, it will fly and win in any wind conditions. With carbon rods availability these days, I fly mine at times with carbon rods instead of steel to reduce wing loading.

Ray
Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:27 AM
United States, CA, Boulevard
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
Kinetic 100DP

First sailplane to go over 400mph and current Dynamic Soaring record holder at a brisk 498mph. I believe that deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame...Oh and it did this naturally-not on Steroids, no Asterisks needed!
RIGAMORTIS is offline Find More Posts by RIGAMORTIS
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:34 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,827 Posts
OK. No sailplane hall of fame could possibly be complete without a Dave Thornburg Bird of Time

...if for no other reason other than it is a Dave Thornburg's Bird of Time!
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I've heard it's an 8% totally Cicil Haga designed in the Boeing wind tunnel. I've seen Tom Gressman keep his up for an hour plus.
It was 8%... but it was a Clark Y. I fixed my post... (fat fingered and not checked)... thanks... Cecil tested the Legionairs in the wind tunnel at Bell Helicopter. He worked there as a model maker for their tunnel tests. I lived 7 miles from him and built many Legionairs.... and have one more to build.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 07, 2013, 01:07 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,377 Posts
Paragon of course. This one converted to electric, but you get the idea...

--------
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 07, 2013, 05:23 PM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
589 Posts
Mark Allen? Falcon 880. One of the first reasonably priced kits using obeechi sheeted foam core wings, heavy spar, full house and all glass fuse. Consistent contest winner and went on to inspire various iterations and imitations. Became the benchmark for TD comps and was used in slope comps and F3B. Anyone have a picture?
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:42 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimn8uay View Post
Mark Allen? Falcon 880. One of the first reasonably priced kits using obeechi sheeted foam core wings, heavy spar, full house and all glass fuse. Consistent contest winner and went on to inspire various iterations and imitations. Became the benchmark for TD comps and was used in slope comps and F3B. Anyone have a picture?

Yes, pictures!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Last edited by Thermaler; Nov 10, 2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Oops! I forgot one or two or three! Sorry Al.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:56 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Paragon of course.
Everyone knows I'm a total Paragon homer so of course I think it belongs. It has been a successful design. The Paragon has been used to set national records (Joe Nave set several AMA records with his). Personally to this day it is the only plane I have ever won or placed 2nd at an sailplane contest with.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke