HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:33 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Build Log
"box fuse" 50mm Mig-17 Maiden Sucsess now W/Video : )

hey all,
some of you may have seen the "box fuse" planes I have done over on the "micro" forum, one was the Mig-17, the build log and plans are here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797864
I have several 50mm fans so I decided to do a larger version of the Mig to put one into.
the build sequence is covered more in depth in the thread for the 30mm version, so I wont go to in depth, basically the same multi layer $tree foam fuse that is sanded to shape, only difference here is a few more layers

the specs:

WS..............22.5"
FAN.............stock SkyAngels 5 blade
MOTOR.......7800KV (no its not a typo )
ESC.............25 amp
BATTS.........2S 7.4 volt1000-13000mah 45C
SERVOS......two 9g taileron control

some pics and plans for ya to ogle

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Mar 10, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
a little more progress, added some of the details, still need wing dams, and the "make it go" stuff

Joe
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:55 AM
Air Assassin
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Nice job Joe!!
RogueAce is offline Find More Posts by RogueAce
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey thanks man!

took a few picks of the "make it go" stuff install....some of you may cringe at the intake clutter but it "looks" worse than it actually is. I decided to leave the wing one piece and sanded contours into it to smooth airflow around it, mounted the servos in pockets that were cut into the wing center section, the battery pack simply sets right on the floor pan of the fuse also right in the airflow....how does it fly...?
AWESOME!
just got back from doing the maiden flight and happy to say it was a non-event, CG was perfect, trim was perfect, didnt have to fiddle with anything....just pushed in half throttle and gave her a gentle toss...had thought to do a low power toss just to make sure everything was good to go...but away she went right from the get-go, just left it at half throttle and climbed her out, this thing flies like its on rails as it were
sorry to say I do not have any video of the flight, but I will put one up as soon as I can get it done.

I LOVE IT!!!

so this fan unit was actually an experiment I've been wanting to try for awhile now, and can now say it is FANtastic, I wanted a high RPM motor so I could run a 2 cell battery and thus eliminate the weight of the extra cell, so I saw HobbyPartz carries a Techon car motor rated for 2s and 7800KV...I bought one, then I bought a stock SkyAngels 50mm fan and housing to put it in, I drilled the fan center hole out and epoxied in a white plastic pushrod housing into it because the Techon shaft diameter was 2mm, I then pushed this onto the motor after mounting into the housing....it goes on very tight...it will NOT come off... did not need to balance it at all, smooth as silk.
WOT this thing is crazy fast, and easily flies the Mig at less than half throttle, so basicly I ended up with more power than stock while dropping the weight of one cell...works awesome! here is what I used:

motor:http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m01-car-2030-7800.html
fan:http://www.bananahobby.com/50mm-duct...c-edf-jet.html
battery:http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1000-2s1p-30c-2222.html

its a killer set-up for those who want to fly "park jet" speed to "freaky" fast..it'll do it

Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Mar 03, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
was hoping to get some video up today, it is beautiful out.....but extremely windy, so it'll have to wait.

Joe
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:42 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
was hoping to get some video up today, it is beautiful out.....but extremely windy, so it'll have to wait.

Joe
Looks great!! The F-86 and early Mig just seem perfect for an easy EDF build I'm surprised there aren't more? Would love to see a vid to see how she goes. I think this is a must build!!
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceye View Post
Looks great!! The F-86 and early Mig just seem perfect for an easy EDF build I'm surprised there aren't more? Would love to see a vid to see how she goes. I think this is a must build!!
your wish is my command sir!

just got back from the school yard with daughters in tow who shot the video for me, it was raining very very litely and a bit of a nip to the air but I had to get this videoed today...I hated the idea of waiting yet another week before being able to get one up.
I kept the flight to 3mins because I was running a 1000 mah 2S pack and I dont want to over tax them, a 1300 pack should give me closer to 5min run times up and down the throttle, I do however have plenty of 1000 mah 2S packs so it doesnt bother me to keep the flights at 3mins

anyhow, here it is, enjoy

Joe

50mm Mig-17 (0 min 0 sec)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:34 AM
Vacuum Tubes Forever BCT2/BCR3
MN AZ
Joined Oct 2006
115 Posts
Looks great in the air, complements to builder and pilot. How effective are the taileron control,
roll and pitch?

JohnB
jiberk is offline Find More Posts by jiberk
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiberk View Post
Looks great in the air, complements to builder and pilot. How effective are the taileron control,
roll and pitch?

JohnB
very effective, if you look at the pic showing the tail you will see the control surfaces are quite wide, the control is very very positive, enough control that for the first several flights I have had the rates and expo dialed down to 40% on elevators and 50% on the roll to keep from over controlling, as I get accustomed to how it flies I will gradually increase the rates

Joe
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
624 Posts
Joe, you never cease to amaze me! Great looking bird and the video was awesome, well done Greg
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks Greg!
are you working on anything?

Joe
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
Air Assassin
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Great bird and great flight Joe !! Congrats!!! Can't wait to see what's next!! Craig
RogueAce is offline Find More Posts by RogueAce
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,871 Posts
Nice build! Amazed at the 'tailerons' I would not have thought they would be near as effective as they obviously seem to be.
Would ailerons be worth the trouble, although it could move their servos outboard, out of the intake tract ?
Final weights? only wondering as a Poly U paper 'skin' and a vac formed canopy addition could take it further towards surprisingly good scale.. weight allowing.. as a bonus.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Nice build! Amazed at the 'tailerons' I would not have thought they would be near as effective as they obviously seem to be.
Would ailerons be worth the trouble, although it could move their servos outboard, out of the intake tract ?
Final weights? only wondering as a Poly U paper 'skin' and a vac formed canopy addition could take it further towards surprisingly good scale.. weight allowing.. as a bonus.
thanks Bare,
I went with tailerons on the 35mm version not knowing how it would work out and figured I could easily add ailerons if I needed to, as it turned out I didnt need too, I have quite a bit of control surface area on the elevators and that I think is why it works nicely. adding ailerons would be worth doing if someone wanted to, but If you fly "park jet" style at the local schoolyard or park like myself its not really needed, it will loop and roll the same as any plane with ailerons and with differential (more "down" than "up" servo travel) its actually pretty axial on the roll.
some dont like, or have the ability to do the mix for tailerons, so adding ailerons would be an easy thing for them.
as far as weight...? I havent even weighed it, wasnt really any need since I knew it was lite enough to fly well, if I had to guesstimate I would put it at 9-11oz's AUW. couldnt say what the thrust is either...just know it was good enough when I was testing the motor fan combo, same with the AMP draw....motor got warm but not hot on static runs and the ESC stayed pretty cool while keeping it in the exhaust flow...batts ran warm but not hot also....so I concluded the amp draw and in air run time should be comparable to the stock set-up only carrying one less cell easily enough room weight wise to add more scale details, I will be adding wing dams and a nice paint job in the next day or two.
so this one was an experiment and now that I know it works well I will try to design a few others around the fan/motor combo.

Joe
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:57 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,871 Posts
Great.. thanks for taking the time to answer.
Looking forward to trying this one myself.
You made it look easy... which I suspect isn't quite as easy as it looks to be. Never is :-)
I too have an excess of 50mm units laying about
.Although all a wee bit mo' powerful... and.. Amp hungry.. though.
50mm is a fair size for me, I don't want to go smaller ..as I need to be able to see the rascals in flight.
Tiny and fast is a poor combo for less than 20 /20 vision.. which fewer of us still have.
IMO there will be a large untapped audience for models in similar sizes.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare