Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 07:02 PM
cornwall
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Help!
first time inverted hover setup please help

hello guy's

where do i start iv been flying heli's for about 3years now just basic sports flying without any problems..now i must be getting brave in my old age lol..
i wanted to have a go at inverted flight for the first time..iv got no one to turn to at my club there all into planes..
im running a trex 600cf the head is set up as per the manual
also useing a spektrum dx6i/ar7000..gy401 gyro..

so if anyone could help me with any radio setting's or any help hint's/tip's would be much appreciated...

thank u
ian.c is offline Find More Posts by ian.c
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 02:46 AM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
with the motor disconnected,, put the throttle/cp at 50% and make sure the blades are at ZERO pitch. set the pitch curve from 0-100 linear and throttle 100 95 90 95 100 in mode/stunt 1. from there, hang on to your nuts and hope your wallet scares you into doing it right... if it all goes wrong,, THROTTLE HOLD!!!

let us know how it works out...

CG
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 02, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
Honestly, I would recommend that you get a ultra-durable micro heli from Bllade or Walkera to try it out instead of your Trex 600. It will definitely be much, much cheaper and much less scary. The ones to look out for would be

Blade MCPx, 130X
Walkera Genius CP, Mini CP, and V120D02S
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 02, 2012, 11:11 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,689 Posts
sim!
Alan Hahn is online now Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old May 04, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
I would have to agree with ZaDaw, get the blade mCP x, thing takes a pretty good beating before breaking anything..
nyuubou is offline Find More Posts by nyuubou
Old May 04, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
I also agree, you can get multiple complete micro cp helis for the price of the 600 kissing dirt once. i can't see any reason to risk it when micros and sims are capable of acclimating you to inverted flight.
zzyzx is offline Find More Posts by zzyzx
Old May 05, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Jun 2008
467 Posts
Also on the plus side, a micro heli with be much faster to react than a 600 size, so when you've got your skills up to scratch on the micro, the 600 will be so sloooooooooooow compared to it and you won't panic(as much) and make silly dumb thumb errors. Good luck
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old May 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
with the motor disconnected,, put the throttle/cp at 50% and make sure the blades are at ZERO pitch. set the pitch curve from 0-100 linear and throttle 100 95 90 95 100 in mode/stunt 1. from there, hang on to your nuts and hope your wallet scares you into doing it right... if it all goes wrong,, THROTTLE HOLD!!!

let us know how it works out...

CG
Hahahahahaaha
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old May 09, 2012, 04:55 PM
cornwall
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
ok guys

im not to worry'd about crashing iv got 4 600's so lots of parts lol..
iv got it all setup just waiting for a good day's weather now but i will hold on to my nut's and pray ha ha ha ha

thanks ill keep u all updated
ian.c is offline Find More Posts by ian.c
Old May 09, 2012, 05:26 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I would not try to hover very long at first. As soon as it starts to go off level, I'd suggest getting it back upright. Then repeat.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 09, 2012, 08:14 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
one more hint, nose in is easier inverted
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2012, 10:39 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.c View Post
ok guys

im not to worry'd about crashing iv got 4 600's so lots of parts lol..
iv got it all setup just waiting for a good day's weather now but i will hold on to my nut's and pray ha ha ha ha

thanks ill keep u all updated
My advice, don't try to hover inverted on your very first aerobatics attempt, but do a flip first! This means you're going to pull elevator so the helicopter flips towards you, then add (some) negative pitch (don't go crazy on the throttle here, especially with the 401 gyro) in idle up to keep it from losing height when inverted for a small time, then continue to steer elevator so it gets back to level again and add positive pitch to catch it.

Don't try to hover inverted when you haven't practiced it in the simulator, or you will crash trying to figure out how to steer into a good hover position.

After a good couple of flips you'll get an idea of how the helicopter responds to negative pitch and then you can pause the inverted part of a flip for a bit longer, then flip all the way to bail out and go from there.

Make sure to apply the three mistakes high method here.

The alternative is practicing a lot on a sim, but reality is really more difficult unless you're flying (a well set up) flybarless system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
one more hint, nose in is easier inverted
Not really true, it really depends on what you simply learn the first. I've learned inverted by starting in tail-in, flipping to nose-in and it felt great. But I know plenty of people who started nose-in and flipped the other way ending up tail-in inverted. Its a matter of being aware of how things become mirrored. Some of them also liked to roll out of inverted when they wanted to bail-out from inverted.

The obvious requirement before trying any 3D, is getting all of your orientations down in normal flight.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
having the luxury of several 600size helis ready for learning to fly inverted is such a nice concept, but a potentially dreadful event waiting to happen once put into action...

here's my take on learning inverted hover. i've flown rc helis when heading lock gyros were non-existent, say mid 90's. i've learned pretty much the basic FFF and loops, rolls minus the luxury of a simulator. since then i stopped.

about two months ago, i went back into the hobby totally curious about micro helis and their unique feature, high crash survivability! i got a genius cp and started to polish my skills from where i left off 15years ago. it got to a point when i was confident enough to attempt learning inverted hover. i just had to visualize and concentrate hard on what inputs my hands need to do in order to accomplish this. in my case, i half rolled over to the right into a tail in inverted hover position. this puts roll commands in proper perspective, but elevator and rudder commands opposite! guess what, on the first attempt the little thing was screaming towards me in a bit due to incorrect elevator input! now think about that event with a 600size heli barreling towards you!

now the fun part! i just hit throttle hold and down it fell in front of me on the soft grass field, which is where i do most of the flying. picked it up and started all over again. i don't think any 600size heli would survive something like that, many times over in the course of two months, and still be in good working order as of this writing!

i was so consumed with micros i also got a hisky FBL100. this is an even better, more durable, more powerful micro than the genius! it is also more stable, "hands free inverted hovering till the lipos run low stable"! i actually have more fun with it cutting blades of grass when the winds calm down!

the learning curve i had in two months with micro helis is a far cry from the past experience with .60size nitro birds. back then you find yourself in a rut for the constant fear of crashing the expensive bird, hence you never learn anything nor attempt anything out of the ordinary. what i accomplished in a matter of two months never even crossed my mind in the past. all without the help of a simulator. the micro heli is your best simulator!

i learned inverted hovering tail-in, upright nose-in hovering, all because of the micro heli. next lesson would be inverted nose-in hovering, which i already attempted and did crash alot already due to wrong inputs!

micros are so convenient that i do all of my flying in a vacant lot near our house in the city. no more long drives to find a decent field. i don't even have to fly three mistakes high since it can be more difficult to spot when higher. more so there's less energy crashing from a lower altitude, just be quick on the TH hold.

so if you really wanna enjoy the learning process of inverted flight, buy a couple of micro helis, lots of 1s lipos, then have fun! i don't even think of crashing anymore. it is certainly inevitable, but you can become immune to it with a micro, ergo you become more confident with what you're doing...

HTH
hawk01 is offline Find More Posts by hawk01
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
hemet, ca
Joined Sep 2010
99 Posts
Great advice, thanks Hawk01
deserthawk951 is offline Find More Posts by deserthawk951
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:06 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
I strongly disagree with the idea that mini 3d helicopters are easier to learn 3d with though, the 600 is crazy slow in comparison and great to learn 3d with. In fact because of its size you can go three mistakes high and plenty of time to save the heli in a dumb thumb situation. Durability of mini CP 3d helis is the fact that you will inevitably crash them as they are so agile and are flown much lower and MUCH more vulnerable to wind.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX