HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:34 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles1 View Post
I've ordered spares from HK today so with a bit of luck they should arrive next week but thanks VERY much for the offer.

Quick question to everyone out there after my mishap today, I took the spinner off and for the first time noticed a bit of play in the engine mounting. I removed the motor from the firewall and the firewall looks fairly solid but when I bolted the motor up again it still has a bit of movement in it. I honestly cant say I noticed it before the prang and i suspect that with such a long standoff attached to a big motor and with the ply firewall only secured on foam this is to be expected. So my question is is this normal? Should there be some play in the mounting?
It sounds like your Nose-over may have compressed the foam around the wood firewall that the motor mount attaches to. Ask me how I discovered this for myself. My solution was to use "gorilla glue" the brown poly urathane type to make the wall solid again. Rough up the foam a little and after you glue it in, lightly spray some water in there. It foams up and keys in to make a very solid joint. The best glue I know for EPO foam.

Make sure you tape off anywhere you don't want the glue to go.

ciao j
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
507 Posts
No Gnats, never got off the ground and probably just as well, since a gear failure on landing would have resulted in more damage. The landing gear is the replacement all metal set recommended by HK. I've ground down the steel pretty well this time so I don't think it will happen again. I have some toe in as well I note the 100mm c of g on your model and I might split the difference at 95mm. I'll also do some taxi ground testing.

Jaybird I looked through the thread again and saw that foam compression where the firewall is mounted can occur as a result of a nose over. I was lucky as the motor wasn't ripped out of the housing, just loosened. So I took the motor off again and used foam safe CA to saturate the area. It has seeped into the space and its good and solid again with the motor bolted back on. It was a relief since I didn't fancy cutting into the fuselage to address the problem as others have had to.

Just have to wait for the spares to arrive and have another crack at it.
Biggles1 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles1
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,401 Posts
Do I need to warn people it's a bit OT ?
The Lancaster Britain's Flying Past BBC Documentary 2014 : John Sergeant (58 min 53 sec)

Doubt they'll do one about the P40 soon. You can't beat the BBC.

Brent.
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,773 Posts
Well challenges for the maiden .
I took hours working on the props , spinner ect to get totally balanced but the wobble is still very noticeable,
I am going to use Gnats method of adding some more washers.

Tail retract was not working but I disconnected it from the system , then used a servos centering tool to set with the wing retracts and wala , its working .

Battery-are you guys using 6 cell 40 to 90 c type lipos ??? I barely could fit that battery in the cowl .
On a side note I total my LX Wildcat but rebuilt and repainted (love EPO) !
Some pics of the old FMS tiny hellcat ready for a re-paint and my Banana Hobby A-10
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Today, 01:40 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
507 Posts
Beaut job LDM , she looks the goods FYI I used the 2 washers fix on the spinner/prop assembly as well and it worked but I did have to balance the entire assembly beforehand (tricky). Also when I fit the new retracts I had to put in a servo reverser as the tail wheel was going up when the mains came down (and vice versa).

I think this model has become almost a right of passage for those of us who own one and is definitely a labour of love.
Biggles1 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles1
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:01 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,773 Posts
Thanks Biggles,
I agree its always something new lol and I have not even flown yet .
I have to add the washers today and see how she runs .
On the battery are you useing the 6 cell pack menthioned ?
Thanks
Old Today, 05:43 AM
Joined May 2012
64 Posts
You are an inspiration. This plane is a challenge to fly.
But I love challenges. And again it is ready for flight... again
I think the RAAF planes do not fly well
It was my rookie mistake . flying at low speed in strong winds and sideways.
Once again thank you all for your contributions. Biggles. LDM. Kaikokid. Gnats. Jayb1rdz. Dro56595. Etc. ..
thanks Rcgroups.
But I will continue with my videos ... soon

Once again sorry for my bad English language

asmodeo is offline Find More Posts by asmodeo
Old Today, 06:50 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,397 Posts
Asmodeo, your English is just fine

Looking forward to see your P40 back in the air soon! And some video.

Cheers,

Dan
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:24 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,401 Posts
asmodeo- Oh dear ! At least your landing gear seems to have stood up to it.
Don't forget you can still get spare parts...http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0mm_Parts.html Maybe a new fuselage ?

Brent.
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Today, 08:33 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Well challenges for the maiden .
I took hours working on the props , spinner ect to get totally balanced but the wobble is still very noticeable,
I am going to use Gnats method of adding some more washers.

Tail retract was not working but I disconnected it from the system , then used a servos centering tool to set with the wing retracts and wala , its working .

Battery-are you guys using 6 cell 40 to 90 c type lipos ??? I barely could fit that battery in the cowl .
On a side note I total my LX Wildcat but rebuilt and repainted (love EPO) !
Some pics of the old FMS tiny hellcat ready for a re-paint and my Banana Hobby A-10
Fwiw, Ldm, all my batteries perform fine in this plane and I have none over 30C, my best one is a 20C Sky Lipo 4400ma from Hobby Partz, nothing special. I don't think this system is finicky about batteries so anything you can get from 4000 to 5000ma, 20C -30C will be fine.

I use an optical tach - a little 'old school', I know - and find that 4500 rpm or a little above is what this system will put out nominally off the top of a 6 cell pack and result in at least the performance this plane was made for.

As for the spinner, I suppose they vary in how out-of-true they are. Using washers or a spacer on the neck of the backplate protrusion will also allow for some additional shimming if it needs it.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Today at 08:54 AM. Reason: added content...
Old Today, 08:40 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,576 Posts
Asmodeo -

Hang in there, it's learning curve. I don't know your situation but all aspects of operating warbird models bring challenges, some taking several seasons to get proficient.

I had a 15 year time out from the hobby and coming back into it has been learning all over again. I've had some mishaps and learn from each one as well as those times when all was smooth going.
Old Today, 12:22 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,773 Posts
Hi Gnats,
Thanks for the information , do you think I am pushing the envelope with the larger batterys because i have them in my possesion ?? . I use two of the 6 cell for my CMP planes .
Asmodeo , as others stated your english is perfact , no worries at all .
Dont give up on that plane, my pic that shows the three planes all are repared from major damage.
I have attached my wildcat so you can see how much it was damaged before the re-paint
Old Today, 12:47 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,576 Posts
Ldm -
Some "ouch" on the Wildcat... That's a 'porky' airplane, did it's weight bite you?

I haven't seen what you've posted about your batteries in specifics, only that you had ordered some "juice". High C ratings won't hurt anything, they're just a little heavier, right?
Old Today, 02:19 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,773 Posts
Hi Gnats yes just larger C so heavier .

On the Wildcat I was bitten by stupidity of flying a warbird. This is what I did , I just finsihed a great ( one of my best flights ) and did a carrier style landing on a small baseball diamond and got lucky and nailed it .
Then feeling great , I added a new battery , not really catching my thoughts about me, and I gunned it vs my normal controlled take off .
She did what ever real warbird does when not having enought rudder to over power torque , she rolled like a baby cow right into the ground at full speed !
I was so angry at myself because I know better and never break my rules but I did and it bit me .
I have a healthy fleet of planes for being anal and redundant in checking everything but I left my mind alone for a moment of comfort and I almost paid for it with the plane .
If this was a balsa plane surely it would have been trashed .