Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:03 PM
United States, MD, East New Market
Joined Dec 2004
10 Posts
Discussion
I have always wanted to fly a real one!

Growing up on Maryland's Eastern shore, the flight path for 175th wing was right over our school. The A-10's always seemed so low that I could reach out and touch them. I have always want to fly an A-10. Now that FPV is here, and after watching VRFlyer and his F-16. I want to do that with an A-10.

I think I am going to make this my next project.
DarrinLindsay is offline Find More Posts by DarrinLindsay
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,347 Posts
A-10s are a tough bird. I remember seeing them Taxi at Tyndall AFB with their canopies open. I hear they are cake to work on too.
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:35 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,566 Posts
I got to see one up close and personal at an Airshow years ago.... very cool.....
but the plane that blew me away at the Airshow was the Vintage Russian MIG-15 doing low fly-by's at speed.

Never got to see the A-10 perform.... probably would have been wowed by that too...
galaxiex is online now Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:55 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,109 Posts
Speed is not what the A-10 is good at, the A-10 is very good at doing very tight turns at a pretty low speed, and manuvering at low altitudes. It would make an amazing FPV airplane I think

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,629 Posts
I 've been up close to it also at Oshkosh and a couple of other airshows. Seen it fly many times and it's one of my favorite planes.

Martin
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:28 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,324 Posts
what I don't like about EDFs is their ridiculously short flight time!! Take hours to full charge a single battery and you get only 5 minutes of flight time!
metalfred is online now Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:53 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Would love to fpv an a10 someday too
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,911 Posts
I got to sit in an A-10 that was for demo purposes out in Tucson where they have them fly every day. They are quite the impressive plane. I wonder if that gatling gun on that model goes down the entire fuse like the real one? If it's anything like the real thing, you could take some serious damage with it before it goes down!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:41 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,324 Posts
This is a really great aircraft indeed.

Here is an awesome video of a A-10 simulator called DCS: A-10C Warthog, this is the new version of the famous LOCK ON: Modern Air Combat which I have played for many hours, triple monitors and 6DOF headtracker, it was awesome. If you really like this plane, why not trying to learn every aspect of it! All cockpit buttons are clickable and this aircraft is working exactly like the real one does. I might buy this new version when it comes out.

DCS A-10C Warthog Producer Note 2 - Start Up (8 min 18 sec)
metalfred is online now Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:38 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,347 Posts
Did you know that the recoil from the GAU-8 (gattling gun) will actually cause the aircraft to stall if the trigger is held too long? Originally the gas in the smoke of the gun would even cause the engines to flame out. The gun is so large that they had to mount the nose wheel off center. I think its pretty impressive that the jet only has two hydraulic systems. (Flight controls are mechanically backed up though)
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:32 AM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,503 Posts
Basically the A-10 is a gun with wings. Amazing bird though and I had my plane hangered at Martin State Airport where the Maryland National Guard A-10's are stationed. In fact that is Martin State in my Avatar. Incredibly tough to bring down as there have been documented cases of them continuing to fly and land with almost half the wing missing. If you are an enemy troop, or tank, these are your worst nightmare.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:00 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
Basically the A-10 is a gun with wings. Amazing bird though and I had my plane hangered at Martin State Airport where the Maryland National Guard A-10's are stationed. In fact that is Martin State in my Avatar. Incredibly tough to bring down as there have been documented cases of them continuing to fly and land with almost half the wing missing. If you are an enemy troop, or tank, these are your worst nightmare.
Sorry for the OT....

If you want to see an aircraft that can still fly with an incredible amount of damage.... Google.... B-17 damage photos... Legendary!

Back on topic....

A friend (helicopter engineer) told me about the depleted uranium armor piercing rounds sometimes used in the A-10.... an enemys extreme worst nightmare....

Google...... A-10 depleted uranium
galaxiex is online now Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:34 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
They used to do gun runs on our tractors out in the fields (with no actual ammo of course). Was kinda strange seeing that going on especially if you were the one they were aiming at.

They must have had some stationed at England Airforce base in Alexandria LA.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:43 AM
Joined May 2008
657 Posts
how about this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crFGsZYM5vk
markeydoo is offline Find More Posts by markeydoo
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:59 AM
Norge
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
That's from the PC game Battlefield 2 I believe.
Capy-Norway is offline Find More Posts by Capy-Norway