HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:54 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
888 Posts
I tried a couple flap/spoiler mixes with mine using an AR6200, they do slow it down a bit, but being the plane has single large ailerons, with much deflection it will tip stall too easily, spoilerons mixed with elevator help a bit at slower speeds, but for the most part not enough to justify the cost of a 6 channel reciever. Splitting the ailerons, adding a second set of servos, and running a full 4 aileron mix with crow might help, but it would take quite a bit of expense and work to accomplish. With all the throw the plane can have you can slow it down pretty quick with snaps or pulling the nose up in knife edges or harriers. A bigger slower prop makes a very effective airbrake though, and allows MUCH better control of speed with a ton more pullout. Harriers and hovers are near impossible with the stock prop as it doesn't give much pullout, and being a steep high speed prop there is a lot of torque to deal with, as you can see in the video there is a lot of wing rock once you get close to stall speed, I put an aileron gyro in mine, and it calms the wing rock quite a bit, makes harriers and hovers much more stable. While the plane can fly slow, your fingers will be very buisy, and it takes a bit of practice to fly slow and low, mostly by using the ample thrust to replace lift, it's not really a floater, but there is plenty of power to pull out or up, gain speed, and get out of trouble.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Oct 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:31 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
I tried a couple flap/spoiler mixes with mine using an AR6200, they do slow it down a bit, but being the plane has single large ailerons, with much deflection it will tip stall too easily, spoilerons mixed with elevator help a bit at slower speeds, but for the most part not enough to justify the cost of a 6 channel reciever. Splitting the ailerons, adding a second set of servos, and running a full 4 aileron mix with crow might help, but it would take quite a bit of expense and work to accomplish. With all the throw the plane can have you can slow it down pretty quick with snaps or pulling the nose up in knife edges or harriers. A bigger slower prop makes a very effective airbrake though, and allows MUCH better control of speed with a ton more pullout. Harriers and hovers are near impossible with the stock prop as it doesn't give much pullout, and being a steep high speed prop there is a lot of torque to deal with, as you can see in the video there is a lot of wing rock once you get close to stall speed, I put an aileron gyro in mine, and it calms the wing rock quite a bit, makes harriers and hovers much more stable. While the plane can fly slow, your fingers will be very buisy, and it takes a bit of practice to fly slow and low, mostly by using the ample thrust to replace lift, it's not really a floater, but there is plenty of power to pull out or up, gain speed, and get out of trouble.
Nice! !!. what prop you use? like 12x4.3sf? this plane is heavy and looks like those GWS wont handle good? need something solid.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:24 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
spoilerons mixed with elevator help a bit at slower speeds, but for the most part not enough to justify the cost of a 6 channel reciever.
You can do Spoilerons and/or Flaperons with the AR500 included with the BNF version, as long as you have a DX7 or better. Been flying mine that way for quite a while.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:39 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
782 Posts
I've been using spoilerons more than flaperons.
I don't have to force the nose down to land it just looses lift.
One time I had them on for take off by mistake. I realized that and switched them off when plane was still on the ground after rolling for 20 feet at full speed.
This morning I had a little mishap. When taxiing away from me and going down wind sudden gust picked up the tail and the plane did a cartwheel.
Only damage is crack in fuse right by the tail which I already fixed it.
This is not the first time wind did it to me, but usually it just flips the plane and there is no damage.
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:36 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Nice! !!. what prop you use? like 12x4.3sf? this plane is heavy and looks like those GWS wont handle good? need something solid.
I was using the APC 12X6 electric prop, it held up just fine, and is a near perfect color match to the stock spinner, looks more original than the original prop. It almost doubles the static thrust, but keeps the speed slower and works well as a brake, lower the throttle even during a dive, and the plane slows quickly, only real problem is that it practically scrapes the ground on a stock landing gear setup, and mows the grass where i fly, even with 2.5" wheels. I tried a spare 3 blade BF-109 prop, and love it, it has almost as much thrust as the 12X6APC, but is 1.5" smaller, so ground clearance isn't an issue, the fat blades and 7.5 pitch give it plenty of low end grunt, with a top end close to the stock prop. It weighs a bit more than the 2 blade props, and seems a bit more stable hovering and in post stall manuvers. I added a 2" Dubro white spinner, and it looks more scale than the stock prop.

I went into a bit more detail on the numbers in the other thread here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
You can do Spoilerons and/or Flaperons with the AR500 included with the BNF version, as long as you have a DX7 or better. Been flying mine that way for quite a while.
I'm flying off a DX6i, so mixing on the gear channel seemed either impossible, or very difficult. I had the AR6200 handy from an EDF I was repairing. The plane is not a floater, and I fly from a big schoolyard, so I don't really need any help shortening landings, and with the power the plane has takeoffs are simple and only takes about 20' of "runway", raise the throttle 3/4, keep it straight with the rudder, then pull up when the tailwheel lifts, pitch it straight up, go full throttle, and hang on, turn, spin, or stall it before it dissapears into the sky. For short landings, I line it up at about 6' elevation and just a hair bit of throttle as it comes onto the field, then keep pulling up as I raise the throttle to keep the nose up, and land either 3 point, or tailwheel first, lowering the throttle, holding full up elevator, and the tail stays planted. Only takes about 50' approach and 10 feet to stop, with the bigger wheels, CG at 3" back, and landing gear raked forward a bit it really helps keep it from nosing over, as does a quick burst of 1/4-1/2 throttle and full up elevator as the gear touches down. This isn't neccesary on pavement, and would likely lift the plane back off, but the grass slows the wheels quickly, and the burst of throttle pushes the tail down as the mains start to settle and roll. On pavement you can practically line it up, cut the throttle, and dead stick a nice 2 point landing.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:50 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
I've been using spoilerons more than flaperons.
I don't have to force the nose down to land it just looses lift.
One time I had them on for take off by mistake. I realized that and switched them off when plane was still on the ground after rolling for 20 feet at full speed.
This morning I had a little mishap. When taxiing away from me and going down wind sudden gust picked up the tail and the plane did a cartwheel.
Only damage is crack in fuse right by the tail which I already fixed it.
This is not the first time wind did it to me, but usually it just flips the plane and there is no damage.
Rob
Hi Rob, here are some rules for tail-draggers I just learned in preparing for my private pilot exam. I think they might help out when it's windy.
Tailwind: Elevator full down
Headwind: Elevator full up
(Just think about keeping the the tail wheel planted firmly on the ground)
Quartering tailwind:Elevator full down; Upwind aileron full down
Quartering headwind: Elevator full up; Upwind aileron full up
(The goal here is to keep the upwind aileron from catching the wind and (again) keep the tail on the ground)
Have fun!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:56 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Hi Rob, here are some rules for tail-draggers I just learned in preparing for my private pilot exam. I think they might help out when it's windy.
Tailwind: Elevator full down
Headwind: Elevator full up
(Just think about keeping the the tail wheel planted firmly on the ground)
Quartering tailwind:Elevator full down; Upwind aileron full down
Quartering headwind: Elevator full up; Upwind aileron full up
(The goal here is to keep the upwind aileron from catching the wind and (again) keep the tail on the ground)
Have fun!
Josh
Thanks Josh, I"ll remember this when I am taxiing on windy day.
I try not to fly Extra on days like today, but its been a while and I already had it with me.
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:17 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,438 Posts
I had forgot about the Happy Owners Thread.Yesterday I swapped the stock esc for a ss45 electrifly I had around and ran it on 4s with a 11/7e prop.No static tests or #'s but I did fly it last night.It was cold out so it was a short flight but I must say its enen more fun to fly now.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:23 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
I just bought this plane and i dont get it to christamas. Can some tell me what i need to do to it before i fly it.
3DBobz is offline Find More Posts by 3DBobz
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:51 PM
United States, MI, Davison
Joined May 2010
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobshack View Post
I just bought this plane and i dont get it to christamas. Can some tell me what i need to do to it before i fly it.
make sure you can fly it haha
AnbuPunk is offline Find More Posts by AnbuPunk
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:59 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
From this question, I'm assuming you are new...

The beginner throws and exponential settings suggested in the manual actually make this a pretty well mannered plane, so get all your control surfaces centered and use those settings.

When it comes to flying it, just remember that this thing is an aerobat, so you need to keep it moving forward at a decent speed. Take it up high, trim it out, and don't push the stall speed too much until you learn where it is.

This Extra was my second plane and I've put a LOT of flights on it with no problems... you just gotta respect it's flight characteristics and ease into the more advanced maneuvers slowly.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnbuPunk View Post
make sure you can fly it haha
I got into rc planes at 13 and i am 14 now and i have been working my way up through trainers and alot of sim time. Now i just want a plane that will challange me when i fly like it will do aerobatics and go where i rell it to go.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:04 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
From this question, I'm assuming you are new...

The beginner throws and exponential settings suggested in the manual actually make this a pretty well mannered plane, so get all your control surfaces centered and use those settings.

When it comes to flying it, just remember that this thing is an aerobat, so you need to keep it moving forward at a decent speed. Take it up high, trim it out, and don't push the stall speed too much until you learn where it is.

This Extra was my second plane and I've put a LOT of flights on it with no problems... you just gotta respect it's flight characteristics and ease into the more advanced maneuvers slowly.
I will be flying mine with a dx6i is that what yours is flying with?
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:11 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
I got into rc planes at 13 and i am 14 now and i have been working my way up through trainers and alot of sim time. Now i just want a plane that will challange me when i fly like it will do aerobatics and go where i rell it to go.
If you have the RealFlight Sim The Edge540T (also a small electric) flies very similar to this plane. Their are 4 main things to be aware of. One is that you need to land fairly fast compared to trainers. This plane is not floaty and will tip stall. It also prefers smooth runways or a dirt road. Grass with the stock wheels is marginal. If you have grass it should be fairly smooth, and I would recommend getting the landing gear set for the Parkzone BF109. It comes with larger wheels that fit the rod size and they are actually the cheapest option. Either wrap the strap around the end of the battery near the leads, or push it all the way forward (a little nose heavy for me) and wrap the strap tightly around the leads. Lastly even on low rates, if you have a good deal of speed and you yank the elevator back the plane will tend to roll to the right. It will not pull out of a dive like other Parkzone planes or a trainer.

For your first flight I would get a good deal of altitude and get an idea how slow you can fly it before it tip stalls. Then land a little faster than that. Also pulse the throttle on landing, especially with the stock prop. This will help keep air over the surfaces.

With the stock prop the plane is quite fast. A common change is to the APC 12x6e prop. It slows the planes down some overall and it will decelerate faster. It also allows for slightly slower landings with a more control due to more prop wash over the surfaces. An 11x7 is pretty much in between the stock prop and the 12x6.

Without much WOT throttle flight times are around 8 min max with a fully charged battery. I would recommend to try to bring it down after about 5 min to account for aborted landings.

Also knowing what you have flow before would help. Do you have other electrics - are you familiar with LiPo planes and batteries. Do you have any other LiPo chargers or will you be using the stock one?
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:27 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
If you have the RealFlight Sim The Edge540T (also a small electric) flies very similar to this plane. Their are 4 main things to be aware of. One is that you need to land fairly fast compared to trainers. This plane is not floaty and will tip stall. It also prefers smooth runways or a dirt road. Grass with the stock wheels is marginal. If you have grass it should be fairly smooth, and I would recommend getting the landing gear set for the Parkzone BF109. It comes with larger wheels that fit the rod size and they are actually the cheapest option. Either wrap the strap around the end of the battery near the leads, or push it all the way forward (a little nose heavy for me) and wrap the strap tightly around the leads. Lastly even on low rates, if you have a good deal of speed and you yank the elevator back the plane will tend to roll to the right. It will not pull out of a dive like other Parkzone planes or a trainer.

For your first flight I would get a good deal of altitude and get an idea how slow you can fly it before it tip stalls. Then land a little faster than that. Also pulse the throttle on landing, especially with the stock prop. This will help keep air over the surfaces.

With the stock prop the plane is quite fast. A common change is to the APC 12x6e prop. It slows the planes down some overall and it will decelerate faster. It also allows for slightly slower landings with a more control due to more prop wash over the surfaces. An 11x7 is pretty much in between the stock prop and the 12x6.

Without much WOT throttle flight times are around 8 min max with a fully charged battery. I would recommend to try to bring it down after about 5 min to account for aborted landings.

Also knowing what you have flow before would help. Do you have other electrics - are you familiar with LiPo planes and batteries. Do you have any other LiPo chargers or will you be using the stock one?
Yes i have other electric planes such as the skyfly max and homemade planes. I have an acucell lipo charger that use with other planes. I have had alot of flight time on a sim flying a nitro powered edge.