HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:05 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Jul 2000
24 Posts
Nylon or Metal geared servos?

I don't have a specific application in mind, but I have been curious for a while now on which gear-type is "better" (in general)? Is there a reason that I would want to use one type in a specific application?

I have heard that metal-gear servos have a shorter life-span but provide more torque. I know that nylon-geared servos are less expensive.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Robert
RobertChampagne is offline Find More Posts by RobertChampagne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:46 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
939 Posts
There's more at play, too. A given servo doesn't care what the gears are made of to provide torque, but manufacturers might pair stronger motors with metal gears for some competitive purpose. Generally speaking, non-metal-gear servos run quiter and have less free play at center than metal-geared ones. The only time I use metal gears is for my flap servos in my sailplanes, and these gearsets take a beating with the flaps banging into the ground. So they are chosen for durability, not any other performance characteristic. If an airplane needs a metal-geared servo for a particular control surface because non-metallic gears are stripping in flight, not from ground contact abuse, then there are big flutter problems with that surface, and the metal-geared servo is only a temporary coverup to a very serious problem. Not a good idea.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:48 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Hi,
for most servos, the only difference it the gears. specs the same. Some hi power servos that the giant scalers use only come with metal gears.

In general, metal geared servos have more slop, even when new, and wear fairly quickly developing even more slop.

They are also heavy! The gears are usually brass in the little servos we use. You can easily feel the difference in weight just holding them in your hand.

IMHO, The only reason to use them is an application that destroys plastic gears,
( like the flaps on gliders which hit the ground on every landing.)

The plastic gears have less slop and wear much better, and are lighter.

And a metal geared servos are more expensive!

Hope this helps
Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW