Pilot: Alex Hewson
Plane: JW60
Speed: 244mph (World Foam Record)
Witness: Neal Moss
Radar: Stalker Pro II
Gyro/DCS?: No

RIP 2 laps at 244 then blew up again

Report:

Well where do I start. A crazy day, even by DS standards.

Neal travelled down to ChCh after I ranted online about an epic Tekapo forecast (which it was leading up to the weekend) But there was some Precip in the forecast. There has always been some been some Precip in the forecast every time we have gone to Tekapo, and we have never got a drop as the rain stays on the western ranges and doesn’t make it across the 40km plateau to the Tekapo ridge. Same as Weldon.

But like that day at Weldon during the 2012 DS week, it did make it across. We arrived to the ridge and we were on the edge of the cloud, looked like it was holding off and just not quite making it across. After the drive up to the top, within about 10min, it started snowing. We waited for 15min, but it started settling and getting worse, so we thought better of it and make the decision to head back as forecast was for Precip to increase throughout the day. Was gutting to have so much wind up there and not being able to fly. So 3 hours back to ChCh and dropping Corrie and Richard off, Neal and I made the call to try Camerons as it was tending North in ChCh. Camerons is the longest trek out of any of the local sites around ChCh so was a big call seeing as it was after 3pm and it gets dark at about 5pm. So a quick trip out to Camerons with the pedal to the floor and 45min later we were assembling models to take up the hill.

Wind was intense and I hardly had to put any effort in the climb up as I was easily blown up the hill holding the JW and RT42 in hand. Neal took one quick reading at 59mph, but wind was gusting a LOT more than than, possibly getting gusts over 70 or 80mph! Neal only had his DS8 with him to fly (Vacuum bagged prototype model of his own design that looks fantastic!) and had put 500gm span loaded into the wings before he came. Needed a lot more!

I tested the air with the RT42 as it was built for that purpose. Was quickly over 200mph, even though it has been repaired a couple of times after rock encounters, and we forgot the highest speed, but was sure it was a new Airframe Record, we think possibly 219. Turned the gun off. Only flew for 5min to warm up my thumbs before wanted to give the Foam WR a crack with my new JW having blown it up earlier in the week at 220mph.

Now I hesitate to type this as it really sounds cocky on my part, but I really need to post it as it is all I can keep thinking about. 200 came within a few laps, and was so locked in it was crazy, but mind you, compared to the RT42, anything is! 244 came within 30odd laps after I had figured out the best line and power spot. The speed came almost too easily, I only flew for about 5min. Neal had two successive 244mph reads on the gun and I decided to tighten it up now into the power pocket with disastrous consequences. Not sure if I pulled too much up or what, but it seemed the nose broke off as I had a liitle too much elevator authority, should have switched to a lower rate. Was flying on mid elevator rate as CG was a little forward, about 65mm. Node had 3 6mm carbon tubes in it around the LE of the wing. One is still sticking out from under the wing where the bottom section of the fuse is still attached to the wing. Man was that JW easy to fly fast. Spars have pulled out of the joiner tubes on the TOP of the wing, secondary spar is broken, laminating film is split and so is the foam in the middle. One servo has a bung gearset now, and Rx ejected from the wing even though it was a light one that had a lot of tape over it. I think I can re-build it but it will be a big job. Need ANOTHER new Neal
fuselage now too.
Neal Flew his DS8 after I had run down the backside to get the JW wing, couldn’t find the fin or Fuselage. Then I realized we didn’t have a video on the hill, so I ran down the frontside to get the Contour. Wind seemed like it had shifted a little as the back was much rougher and it was very difficult to get a good line. Neal was cruising at about 160-180, but once he pulled a couple of laps in the power pocket, speeds shot up well above 200. Because of the shifting wind and massive turbulence on the back, it was only possible to get about 2 laps in the right place, so each time he did so, I got readings around 238, then 239 the next set, then 242 on one lower lap. By this stage it was getting almost impossible to get consecutive laps together due to getting spat out all the time. I don’t doubt that if Neal had flown in the better air, he would have got 300. He is one to watch out for! Especially as he fine tunes his designs!!! Thanks for coming down mate 

Was not game to fly the K130 after 7 hours of driving that day to that point. Was very tempted but was getting late and wind was up and down as well as a bumpy backside. Will save it for another day.

Alex
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2014, 06:58 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,657 Posts
What a day! 7 hours on the road, 2 long hikes and 10 minutes of flying! Reminds me of my flying trips. Glad to hear the full report. Great job on the foam record, hopefully you can get your plane back together.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old May 25, 2014, 07:21 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2013
47 Posts
Huge effort

What an epic marathon Alex and it certainly paid off for both you and Neal. Nice one!
SlowMotion27 is offline Find More Posts by SlowMotion27
Old May 25, 2014, 08:07 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,359 Posts
Congrats on the new record. I hope you have video... 244 is fast foam.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old May 25, 2014, 08:15 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
No Video as we left the Camera back in the car and Neal's go-pro went flat. Didn't think it was going to blow up or get the record that flight as I knew the CG was well forward and wanted to test it, land it, tune it, then get camera and re-fly it. But it just went super fast!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2014, 09:40 PM
225 mph
Australia, NSW, Warriewood
Joined Oct 2011
291 Posts
Congrats on the new record Alex, It would have been great to see what the Orbit 80 could do in that wind too.
-Snowfly- is offline Find More Posts by -Snowfly-
Old May 25, 2014, 10:40 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,566 Posts
Very nice flying Alex.
When the wind is blowing 50+ it is quite easy to get the JW over 200. Not so easy to keep it going.
Did you fly it with that small fin you made? Was this a DS version double spar or single?
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old May 26, 2014, 01:10 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,207 Posts
Awesome report Alex, shame tekapo was not a go. Huge effort.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
Old May 26, 2014, 03:45 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Thanks guys!

Flew as in the pic i posted. Was double spar DS version. I found out you need a serious spar system in the fuse to keep going above 200. I doubt it is possible to make a legitimate foamy go too much over 250
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2014, 07:17 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,217 Posts
Wow. Epic!
Massive kudos.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old May 26, 2014, 11:02 AM
no pain, no pain
Brazil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Dec 2006
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Thanks guys!

Flew as in the pic i posted. Was double spar DS version. I found out you need a serious spar system in the fuse to keep going above 200. I doubt it is possible to make a legitimate foamy go too much over 250
remember that you wrote you did not use tape on yours.
I believe lot´s of tape will make the difference.
marcioh is offline Find More Posts by marcioh
Old May 26, 2014, 02:08 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Fuselage had 3-4 lays of strapping tape on it and 3x 6mm carbon rods in it, then covered in film. No Tape on wing
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2014, 11:32 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,346 Posts
I'd like to see Sean's hummer in wind like that Doesn't even break a sweat at 200 + , I think the best thing about it , is that it has no twist and very stiff ( for a foamy) makes it handle like a composite plank. We have said plenty of times from 2m away it looks like a moulded plank.
I don't think has been flown in more than 25knts , and never really had enough wind to dig deep and risk it. I think on that day it went 213 or 15 and was hands off flying so to speak doing nice big round circles.
I think having 4 servo's really helps with keeping controls tight and slope free with little flex.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old May 27, 2014, 02:16 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,153 Posts
Great job at not getting defeated by the first hill.
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old May 27, 2014, 02:18 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,218 Posts
Congrats Alex! Great story.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle