HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,021 Posts
Help!
Phoenix Model Sea Bee Sport/F3A Pattern

Hi I have one of these and want to do an electric conversion. Link to conversion Thread What setup do most people use for something like this? I havent built anything this big before so any help is appreciated. I am getting a 4120/6 BL motor and an 85A ESC. How does one power the servos via a seperate Lipo? I'm sure I'd know this if I ever had a glow or gas powered model.. Thanks for any advice.

MArc
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:50 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Oct 2009
28 Posts
esc

It looks like you have chosen your motor and esc.I looked at the plane from tower hobbies and it looks like a easy conversion,meaning it was meant for both gas and electric. The plane looks to be about 6 pounds X 100-150 watts per pound so the motor you chose should have about 600 to 900 watts( prop choice changes Power also). The esc you chose should say whether it has a built in bec,if it has a bec it will power your servos,if it has no bec you will need to buy a bec so you can power your servos. The better or more reliable esc's have switching bec's and have 5amps of power for your servos,so if you want the most reliable esc and don't want to buy a bec,buy a esc with a switching bec and a 5 amp output that way you can run more servos digital or analog.Your plane uses a 46 gas, take a look at e-flite power 46 which is the same as a gas 46, they have easy match ups for conversions,not saying you should buy the e-flite, but you could look at the specs,watts,kv,prop choice,esc and so on.Scorpion motors have conversion tables as well as most motors but they use different numbers for their motors. Hope this helps a little
winterflyer is offline Find More Posts by winterflyer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:11 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterflyer View Post
It looks like you have chosen your motor and esc.I looked at the plane from tower hobbies and it looks like a easy conversion,meaning it was meant for both gas and electric. The plane looks to be about 6 pounds X 100-150 watts per pound so the motor you chose should have about 600 to 900 watts( prop choice changes Power also). The esc you chose should say whether it has a built in bec,if it has a bec it will power your servos,if it has no bec you will need to buy a bec so you can power your servos. The better or more reliable esc's have switching bec's and have 5amps of power for your servos,so if you want the most reliable esc and don't want to buy a bec,buy a esc with a switching bec and a 5 amp output that way you can run more servos digital or analog.Your plane uses a 46 gas, take a look at e-flite power 46 which is the same as a gas 46, they have easy match ups for conversions,not saying you should buy the e-flite, but you could look at the specs,watts,kv,prop choice,esc and so on.Scorpion motors have conversion tables as well as most motors but they use different numbers for their motors. Hope this helps a little

Thanks Winter. I am pretty much on my own here as I am a family man and dont really have too much time except at night when my household is asleep! I think I will be okay withe a switchable 6V SBES on the 85A ESC and the before mentioned motor. Garret (on RCG) from Altitude Hobbies
Helped me a lot to figure out what to run and he has helped me in the past with great results. the Motor he recommends is a .46-.50 replacement. so Im confident all will be fine.

Thanks for you response! Now as I wait I can install the servos and make a hatch!

Marc
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc