HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Question
Folding Prop

Hi guys, I need some help regarding folding props. I am working on a side project and have purchased this motor to use on my X8, which is a large flying wing. I need to put a folding prop on this plane and the size must be either 13x6 or 13x6.5. Here's the problem, I have never dealt with folding props and have no clue what I need to make this work. I don't want to put a fancy spinner on it... just a simple folding prop and a prop stop. Since I have already put my order in for the motor from HK, I would prefer to order my prop, and anything else I may need from the same vendor. Can someone please attach a link to the products that I need? I already have the plane, motor, esc and other electronic components... I just need to find out which folding prop, which prop stopper, and anything else that may be required for a folding prop setup.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas!
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:48 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,261 Posts
Is this motor a pusher or does it pull?

Every wing I've ever had, has been a pusher motor.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Is this motor a pusher or does it pull?

Every wing I've ever had, has been a pusher motor.
It's a pusher. This is the plane here.

With the setup I have, a 13x6 or 13x6.5 folding prop is what would be required... but I've never dealt with folding props so I don't know what I need. I just want to make sure that I don't buy the wrong stuff and so I was hoping someone could attach links to their reply so I know exactly which items to get.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:08 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Why the folder? To save blades on landing? For better gliding? Some small folders are available as pusher I think. The problem with tractor props pushing is the motor torque is trying to loosen the prop nut. Have fixed this to a useable situation on a lower powered easystar with a six inch prop by using loctite on the threads. You didn't say if your blades are tractor or pusher.
EK
ekletke is offline Find More Posts by ekletke
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekletke View Post
Why the folder? To save blades on landing? For better gliding? Some small folders are available as pusher I think. The problem with tractor props pushing is the motor torque is trying to loosen the prop nut. Have fixed this to a useable situation on a lower powered easystar with a six inch prop by using loctite on the threads. You didn't say if your blades are tractor or pusher.
EK
I need folding props because on landing it will break a normal prop if it doesn't fold.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:50 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,261 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not designed for a folding prop.

I'm pretty sure the motor mount is high enough to get a 6 or 7 inch prop there... without the tip hitting the ground.

They do make folding pusher props, but I've seen them mounted on a pod.

In your case, you can use a regular prop, as long as the prop is mounted in exactly the same direction as it would be, if it was mounted in front... You would only need to reverse the motor direction, by switching any two of the 3 wires.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
338 Posts
I'd suggest using the pusher prop, and the only significant problem will be the torque wanting to unscrew the prop nut. To deal with that, I'd use 2 nuts and Loctite, and tighten one nut against the other. First of all, that should stay tight. Second, if it doesn't, you'll lose 1 nut before the other; the second nut will be loose on the shaft but with the Loctite it won't spin right off. Chances are you'll get the plane back on the ground before the 2nd nut comes off so at least you won't lose the prop.
tom1968 is offline Find More Posts by tom1968
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
I need folding props because on landing it will break a normal prop if it doesn't fold.
Not hardly a problem. If you have the brake set to "OFF" the motor will freely spin, allowing the prop to settle to horizontal without hindrance. The electric motor does not have a compression stroke, as a glow or gas motor does. I have belly landed umpteen planes over the last decade -many three bladed props, and have broken zero props due to them being in the "down" position. I have broken them from bad landings (crash, prang, ooops, etc).

FWIW - there is no need to get a "pusher" prop for electric motors - make sure the brand name or other printing is facing the direction that you want the plane to travel, and mount that sucker. If you need to reverse direction of the motor, electrics are fine with that (brushless motors run the same power forward and backward).
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:19 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Couple shots of a folding prop running, from the side. It never gets to fully "extended".
For a pusher installation, you might need to mount the motor back a bit to let the prop clear the trailing edge.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:20 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
A prop that large turning right next to your head for a hand launch will be uncomfortable.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Not hardly a problem. If you have the brake set to "OFF" the motor will freely spin, allowing the prop to settle to horizontal without hindrance. The electric motor does not have a compression stroke, as a glow or gas motor does. I have belly landed umpteen planes over the last decade -many three bladed props, and have broken zero props due to them being in the "down" position. I have broken them from bad landings (crash, prang, ooops, etc).

FWIW - there is no need to get a "pusher" prop for electric motors - make sure the brand name or other printing is facing the direction that you want the plane to travel, and mount that sucker. If you need to reverse direction of the motor, electrics are fine with that (brushless motors run the same power forward and backward).
You know what, you're right... I've already paid for the folding prop but I'm just gonna go with a regular prop. The folding ones are too much of a hassle. Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:50 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
A prop that large turning right next to your head for a hand launch will be uncomfortable.
You're absolutely right. In fact, on the plane that I'll be using it on, a lot of guys have actually hurt themselves because of the prop.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:52 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post

Jim, just to confirm, my brake should be in the OFF position?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:01 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,171 Posts
A prop spinning without power is a good airbrake and will slow the plane down.
If the ESC brake is OFF the prop will keep spinning until you touch down and will also slow the plane down on the glide (not good if you want to spend time gliding).
If the ESC brake is ON the prop should stop spinning with power off, but can stop anywhere - e.g. horizontal or vertical.

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2010
1,616 Posts
Here is your solution:
http://www.espritmodel.com/folding-spinners.aspx
http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ack-turbo.aspx

Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor