HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:34 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,644 Posts
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) the FAA did want to impose a very low altitude ceiling on us and the AMA was the driving force to have it taken out of recent rulings. They wanted 400ft if I remember correctly. Saying how high we can fly in a thread like this would be a reason for them to try again.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
I think by pushing to eliminate a 400' ceiling, the AMA is making it pretty clear that we're already flying above that altitude and have a need to continue. For argument's sake, let's say that we all conspire to create the impression that no one ever flies above 400'. Well then from the FAA's perspective I guess there's no problem with a 400' altitude limit then is there? I'd rather see/hear examples of people flying high responsibly then to try to hide the fact that we routinely fly above 2000' depending on the size of the aircraft.

Like I said earlier - no need to post dangerous or stupid things that you've done, unless maybe you learned something from it and would like to share it with everyone. Every month Model Aircraft magazine's safety column has examples of people getting injured. It could be argued that we shouldn't be advertising that sort of thing, but the end goal is to raise awareness and make the hobby safer for everyone.

Jim
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:37 PM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
618 Posts
This should be closed by a moderator any time now....

Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
You'd think this was the only place on the Internet that people were talking about how high they fly. Here's a link to a page on the AMA sight talking about the late Maynard Hill's model aircraft altitude record of over 13,000 feet.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/mhill/text3.htm
Maybe they should take that down too?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Good arguments on both sides, but I'm leaning more toward the "FAA already knows about how high we fly", and obviously are not terribly concerned.

I agree however, that broadcasting stupid and/or dangerous things you've done is probably counterproductive for our hobby.

And on to my question.... I could only venture a guess on how high I've been, but I've specked a Paragon, and my eyesight is pretty good. So, does anyone have a recommendation on an inexpensive altitude logger? I've seen the eagle-tree systems, but they're out of my price range right now. Are there any cheapies out there for under 50 bucks?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
1984 is no longer fiction
United States
Joined Mar 2012
424 Posts
Its too bad we now live in a time where we must fear our own government. If they can limit how high we fly, how soon will they prohibit models capable of flying too high? And if someone designs a model capable of flying too high, will they send the "thought police" after them?

I can see it now, a father and son, flying a model they built together. Suddenly a SWAT team surrounds them and with guns drawn the cops say, "Drop the Futaba or we will shoot".

I feel much safer now.
War is Peace is offline Find More Posts by War is Peace
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
So, does anyone have a recommendation on an inexpensive altitude logger? I've seen the eagle-tree systems, but they're out of my price range right now. Are there any cheapies out there for under 50 bucks?
How High - records peak altitude only. No computer required.
RAM3 - a little above your price range, but will log altitude over time. Requires a computer to download logs.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:42 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
740 Posts
Another altitude recorder

If, perchance you're flying an ALES sailplane, the altitude limiter from Winged Shadow Systems reports the maximum altitude attained along with some other data of interest.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
I've got the How High, but I think a RAM3 is probably in my future too. It would be nice to look at the output at the end of the day and see how high each launch was, etc.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,053 Posts
I bought one of these from eBay.

I haven't flown it, yet, but it does seem to work OK.`

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-D...#ht_3192wt_118
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:40 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,400 Posts
This works well and inexpensive. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22630
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:31 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,510 Posts
I use a How High that feeds a telemetry module for my Aurora9. I also have one of those voice modules for the radio so I don't have to take my eyes off the plane. It reads altitude about every 15-20 seconds. As the How High plugs into the RPM port of the telemetry module I need to divide the reading it provides by 10. No big deal as it was a whole lot cheaper than the altitude module Hitec provides, and as it is a How High, it records my max altitude when I land.
It is kinda funny though; when guys at the field want to see how it works they go up to the flight line with me. Right after launch it will say something like 3110. They are convinced that I am at 3,110 foot because the device says so.... even though obviously it is WAY lower.... like 311 foot. Now getting 3110 foot of altitude in 20 seconds would be something to see
As I said earlier one of the really nice features of the telemetry is that you can set a warning. Now all I need to do is listen to it
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
Registered Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,429 Posts
I'm somewhat reluctant to post in here due to the fear and loathing for electric sailplanes by some, but I'll push on anyhow. The RAM works very well and does the associated program for uploading to a PC. I use it regularly to track my flights but more so for flight times and diagnosis of climbs and for positive proof for the RCG Big Sky Thermal Endurance Contest in E-Sailplane forum. Altitude and Feet/ minute features can also be charted for whatever reason you would wish to use.
Attached is last week's flight diagram for example from a 200 metre launch. Oh.....yea, it was a good flight
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,921 Posts
Let's see, I think you are now something like 5,000 years behind the times. IMHO, any government powerful enough to be useful will at the very least screw up often enough that it can be legitimately feared.
-----------------
A glider made from paper and straws has already been flown from 90,000 feet or so. Since it's relatively easy to make one, they'll have to ban straws and computer paper. Might be good for the environment if one can't print off 20 copies of your latest office memo without a thought.
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/spa...-back-to-earth
------------------
A low tech way to estimate altitude is to make a stick a known length with a few pins at regular intervals at one end. Fly straight overhead. Estimate how many pin spaces are visually equivalent to your wing span. Say you get pin spaces equal to an eight of an inch, your stick is 2 feet long, and your glider's span is 100 inches. The ratio between the span and the pin spacing is 100/.125 or 800. The distance from your eye is 800 times 2 feet, or 1600 feet.

I haven't done this with a stick, but I've done it, very approximately, with the button on the end of a 72 mHz antenna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whitney View Post
Its too bad we now live in a time where we must fear our own government. If they can limit how high we fly, how soon will they prohibit models capable of flying too high? And if someone designs a model capable of flying too high, will they send the "thought police" after them?

I can see it now, a father and son, flying a model they built together. Suddenly a SWAT team surrounds them and with guns drawn the cops say, "Drop the Futaba or we will shoot".

I feel much safer now.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:01 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Good arguments on both sides, but I'm leaning more toward the "FAA already knows about how high we fly", and obviously are not terribly concerned.

I agree however, that broadcasting stupid and/or dangerous things you've done is probably counterproductive for our hobby.

And on to my question.... I could only venture a guess on how high I've been, but I've specked a Paragon, and my eyesight is pretty good. So, does anyone have a recommendation on an inexpensive altitude logger? I've seen the eagle-tree systems, but they're out of my price range right now. Are there any cheapies out there for under 50 bucks?
+1

2383 ft is my highest with a Mirage - aprox 3 meter span. This is the max I am willing to go. Was at the very limit of being able to maintain orientation.

MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Last edited by MrE; Sep 03, 2012 at 06:06 PM.