HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:51 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Discussion
Improved firmware for the KK multicopter, also the HK KK.

After trying Duck!'s MultiWii tricopter I found out that I needed to improve my firmware for the KK multicopter. The MultiWii flew like it was on rails

First out is the quad:

- higher ESC update frequency, from 180 to 290Hz

- PI control loop instead of just P.

- Easier to arm, no throttle trim required.

- Improved LED feedback when setting up. Entering the ESC throttle range adjustment will flash the LED 2 times. Entering the gyro/potmeter reversing flashes the LED 3 times, and will flash rapidly when correct input is given.

- Improved the multiply part of my math library by using the AVR hardware multiplier. The old one where written to suit AVR's without hardware multiplier.

It now flies like it is on rails, no ballooning (pitching up) when stick released in high speed. It also can descend rapidly straight down without wobbling.

The firmware fits in the small atmega48, so users of the HK KK card can upgrade without swapping chips.

Have fun!

EDIT:
New quadrocopter firmware V4.7, see post #73
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Last edited by kapteinkuk; Jun 30, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:59 PM
Joined Apr 2010
213 Posts
Will this work on my KK black Board?
Which is better, the black or blue board. I bought mine used rtf, and now im trying to learn how to set it up and all. When I let go of the sticks, should my quad pretty much hover by itself. Mine deffiently does not lol. What setting would I adjust to get it to be super stable?
patrick21x is offline Find More Posts by patrick21x
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
Awesome stuff... although I'm running the KK board as a hex and a tri (while I sort my Paris board out). Are you looking at playing with the tri and hex coding too??? please...
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:24 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,554 Posts
Hi kapteinkuk,

great to see that there is a new firmware by you. I will try the new firmware, if the weather gets better this evening, on my quad. The 4.5 was already very stable in my opinion, so I am curious to see how the new firmware performs.

I also added the firmware to the repository of the KKmulticopter flash tool. Therefore I had to mirror the zip file on my server. I don't know why but I am not able to download from rcgroups with java. I hope you are okay with that?

Best Christian
LazyZero is online now Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:43 AM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,221 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you KapteinKuK!!!

Simon
SSM is online now Find More Posts by SSM
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:43 AM
No, it's the same plane ...
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Bochum
Joined Jul 2010
149 Posts
Great news, are you working on a improved tricopter firmware as well? That would be so great
jjk77 is offline Find More Posts by jjk77
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:41 AM
making big holes in the sky..
Scandinavia
Joined Aug 2009
314 Posts
This is great....
Is this for x config as well or just + ???
bajas is offline Find More Posts by bajas
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:59 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Hi KK,

Out of curiosity, wanted to quick test this HK-on demand special one , especially the PI

I uploaded the 88hex on my +quad with WiiMP. After reversing the yaw, everything seems to work. I feel the I working when giving stick input : motors speed up slooowly...

Though, I can't find how to do a stick centering ? ...
Can you remind me the pot functions:
Roll = 0: gyro reversing (ok !)
Pitch = 0: ????
Yaw = 0: throttle calibration (ok !)
all = 0: ???? clear eprom ???

Will need to recompile to have more stick authority...

Thanks,
manu
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Last edited by alll; Jun 21, 2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,021 Posts
Thanks Rolf, I have always preferred your original firmware on my Tri. I test all of the others but always end up with the chip with 1.5 back in there. I don't have a quad but I am putting a KK board on a friends 330x so I will try it on there.

As always, thanks for your contribution.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
94 Posts
Groovy!

If you could also release a x-firmware as well this would be absolutely spledid :-)
Felias is offline Find More Posts by Felias
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Feb 2011
460 Posts
i would _love_ the x firmware too
V_Okto is offline Find More Posts by V_Okto
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Mar 2009
67 Posts
I have flashed the firmware to my quad but when I start the motors to test it, they just get faster and faster with the same throttle input.
The same board works fine with Mike Barton's firmware and older versions so I at a lose as to why it happens.

any idea's?
micktol is offline Find More Posts by micktol
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:34 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Same here... its the I-term..., I suspect the Rx readings to be off...

manuLRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by micktol View Post
I have flashed the firmware to my quad but when I start the motors to test it, they just get faster and faster with the same throttle input.
The same board works fine with Mike Barton's firmware and older versions so I at a lose as to why it happens.

any idea's?
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:09 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,559 Posts
Quote:
when I start the motors to test it, they just get faster and faster with the same throttle input.
looking at the code I think this is quite normal and the expected behavior. The Midd of the sticks is assumed to be at 1500us, often (usually) however it is in fact 1520us. So, you might get it a bit better by trimming your sticks.

Otherwise, I would suggest just start and fly... in flight the controller has a chance to do its job, but not while in rest.

Ideally, the code would be changed a bit
- the I term could be reset whenever the throttle is below a threshold
- one could introduce a dead band, such that a stick position very near to the center is assumed to be center (I had good experience with 5-10us)
- if the I term increase in magnitude beyond a certain point it should not be allowed to increase any further

I think these changes would add just few bytes of code.

"Interesting" that there is no I term on yaw, no heading hold...

Olli
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2010
32 Posts
I've just tried this on my new quad and it flew much more stable compared to 4.5. Although I managed to drop the quad from a height, but that was due to the gnats that was biting me, so only user side bugs.

How would I reverse some of the gyro channels in the code? As it is now, I have to reverse the yaw gyro channel whenever I load a new firmware.
jorgen is offline Find More Posts by jorgen
Last edited by jorgen; Jun 21, 2011 at 02:56 PM.