Old May 03, 2012, 02:16 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem68 View Post
No. Not ... Also mega ..
I was thinking about the corkscrew shape. Even Neu makes the ribbed ones......
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old May 03, 2012, 01:10 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
I was thinking about the corkscrew shape. Even Neu makes the ribbed ones......
Just screw it into a tight fuse....no motor mount needed
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old May 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
Well,i hope you guys are happy,i took my heatsink off and beat it with a very large hammer .Got the intakes done and mounted...Motor and ESC done and mounted....and checked CG-hit right on the mark first shot,lots of room in here....All seems good,just have some touch up work to do......Now i think i will go spin that motor up for just one second for some motivation
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old May 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
I want to Thank everybody that helped me out on the thread,and in the PM,s....You guys are awesome ! I got the Swist up in the air today and my flight report goes as such " WHAT AN AMAZING AIRFRAME,AND ALL PARTS INSIDE,YOU COULD NOT KNOCK THE EAR TO EAR SMILE OFF MY FACE WITH A BASEBALL BAT "........With the help of a great friend,we did the range check,then just launcher her up and away...Not one click of trim needed She just went up there and did her thing effortlessly....Sooooooo much easier to fly then my Rifle,Stinger,and Miro VooDoo (well,except for the landing,that is another topic...The swist will just glide and glide and glide ) I was amazed at how locked in this airframe was,and now know what it means when people say "it flies on rails" Now i need to get back out there and get a few more flights,and work on bleeding off speed to land this bird proper.....Anybody using Flaperons on this type off airframe for landings ? I know it works great on my VooDoo.
Old May 06, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
For the first flight setup,i had the Mega 16/35/1.5RE with APC 5X5 prop,CC100 ice light and 10amp BEC,2650 40C 4 Cell...flying weight of 32.4oz....After a 3 minute flight of mixed flying,the power system landed warm in 85deg temps....that makes me a happy camper,i was a bit worried about how hot and steamy it is getting here in Fla already.
Old May 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
So what is the deal with peolpe wrapping tap around the back of the wing and around the fuselage ? I mean i know why they do,but is it important,or just over thinking ? i brought tape with me to do it,but i was so jacked up to fly it,i forgot to do it....but i did put some blue locktite one the wing screws,and they came down nice and tight......So yes,i still have some NEWB questions to throw at you guys
Old May 06, 2012, 01:42 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
So what is the deal with peolpe wrapping tap around the back of the wing and around the fuselage ? I mean i know why they do,but is it important,or just over thinking ? i brought tape with me to do it,but i was so jacked up to fly it,i forgot to do it....but i did put some blue locktite one the wing screws,and they came down nice and tight......So yes,i still have some NEWB questions to throw at you guys
Congrats on the maiden

I heard the Turbine Swist does't use tape, and it pulls massive G's

For landing setup a mix which raises both ailerons about 75% of their total travel. Make sure to save some travel for aileron controll. And still be prepared that the ailerons are much less effective when spoilerons are deployed. The trick is to come in low, at maybe 10ft when you turn up to the wind then lower it to 3ft and continue bleeding of speed switching spoilerons on and off as you get closer keeping it at 3ft adding more and more elevator untill the speed is low enough for touch down.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Last edited by henke; May 06, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old May 06, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Apr 2007
210 Posts
I use spoilerons to slow mine down. Works great. I have them set as much as I could get with a little left for aileron control.

A couple of times I flipped the wrong switch and wondered why it came in so fast. Spoilerons work well.

Terry,
c54fun is offline Find More Posts by c54fun
Old May 06, 2012, 02:04 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,544 Posts
Great to hear of a perfect maiden! Guess that means the fun's over for us lurkers. Tape will help tie the structure together to prevent damage from ground loops. In the air it likely doesn't help since the wing loads are centered very near the bolts. Don't use loctite on the wing bolts, but do use it on the prop. Metal-geared servo screws can benefit as well. Put the ailerons up for landing as they said, likely with some elevator compensation trial/error. If you somehow happen to be one of the 19 people in the world using a non-Spektrum radio (very unlikely) you can use a slider for spoilerons and avoid lots of drama.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old May 06, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
LOL...You guys are FAST...OK,i will give the spoilers a shot (i have been a fan of the flaps,seems the plane rides on them,and handles nice on the VooDoo) .....Yup,I can fly the buggers out of it,but the landing was FUNNY AS HE$#....I cut the motor and started my glide for approach (and i am talkin a full 1/2 mile of glide with two turns) and that thing just whistled on by....not fast,just gliding slow right on by.....my buddy just let out a laugh,and said " OH,This is going to be fun to watch,how much battery do yuo have left ? "....my reply "Ummmm,i hope enough for the next 5 landing attemps,but i do not think i need power for that "......I also now know what people mean when they say "that is a very slippery airframe .......I am heading back out to the field in a few and try a few more rips.
Last edited by VooDoo Child; May 22, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
So with about 5mm of spoiler,is about 2mm of down elevator be a good place to start ? .....that is about what i have on one of my EDF,s
Old May 06, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Great to hear of a perfect maiden! Guess that means the fun's over for us lurkers. Tape will help tie the structure together to prevent damage from ground loops. In the air it likely doesn't help since the wing loads are centered very near the bolts. Don't use loctite on the wing bolts, but do use it on the prop. Metal-geared servo screws can benefit as well. Put the ailerons up for landing as they said, likely with some elevator compensation trial/error. If you somehow happen to be one of the 19 people in the world using a non-Spektrum radio (very unlikely) you can use a slider for spoilerons and avoid lots of drama.
Nope,it is not over....i still have to post a bunch of my junk video...and the plane is set up as slow as i can get it Soooooo,you lurkers get to read my junk posts about how things went on 5 and 6 cell setups as i work my way up to going as fast as i can,and as proficient as i can,or crash harder then i ever have .....but what i do know right now,I have enjoyed the heck out of learning,building,and flying these pylon style birds....It is just a RUSH,and a great test of what you are made of when it comes to this hobby I have been HARD CORE into giant scale freestlye flying for many years now,but i was getting burnt out....the Rifle,Stinger,VooDoo,and Swist has started a whole new FIRE in me,and i am having more fun then ever...These planes have also brought me back to enjoying 3D flying again (i have to stay proficient on my rudder )....Again,thanks Guys Doug
Old May 06, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,817 Posts
A couple pics of the finished Swist with the cooling exits,and antenna exits.....very glad the spectrum carbon RX did it's job.