Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,719 Posts
Discussion
Brass fittings

Looking at my 1/4 scale Sopwith Strutter plans, and was wondering about options for landing gear mounts and strut fittings. Mick sells stainless steel fittings sets, which once you get here can become expensive, plus they can be hard to drill and solder. I was wondering if I could substitute brass sheet for the steel ones. Would 1/16 thick brass be strong enough for the bracket that is soldered to the leg, then screwed to the fuselage? My thinking is if I land hard enough to damage that, I'm thinking I'm going to be having some damage more serious than that. Thickness suggestions would be greatly appreciated, ie. strut mounts, rigging attach brackets (for working rigging).
Thanks folks.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,215 Posts
I made many of the rigging brackets for my 1/4 scale Tiger Moth from sheet brass. I used Mick Reeves wires and clevises, so was limited to the thickness that the clevises would accept, which was 20g, I think. After a little flying, the holes where the clevises attach are showing some wear, which I'll have to keep an eye on. When I built my 1/3 scale SG-38 glider, I used sheet steel (18g) for all the brackets.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,719 Posts
Thanks. Think I better stick with the mild steel.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy