SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2014, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by kumarank
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Rant
Reasons not to buy from Hobbyking. (New buyers READ) - Resolved

I will like to start of by saying, that this is based on my personal experience with hobbyking, and I'm writing this just to warn people thinking about or those that have just ordered at hobbyking.

The first big reason, is the infamous courier service they 'force' you to use when buying from their international warehouse. I am of course talking about the not so express 'SCS express' option. What SCS do is illegal. There is no other way to put it. Midway through shipment you will receive an email from some Chinese guy demanding so called 'customs', I am familiar with the process of paying customs where in which I talk with HMRC and pay over the phone. BUT, this is not what SCS do, they hold your parcel in their so called 'hub' (probably some garden shed) until you pay some Chinese man over paypal. To give you an amount of their so called 'customs & VAT' they charged me 50% of my order as customs. 50%!!! (My order was 29 + 20 shipping, they charged me 14 customs)

The second, and larger problem, is their customer service. Their so called live chat talk like robots and repeat everything and sometimes confuse you further by muddling up dates etc. One particular man called Marlo showed quite possibly the worst attitude I have ever seen from a vendor in my life. After I told him that what SCS express are doing is illegal, he went on to say things like 'Oh don't worry, we'll help you out with your investigation' and 'Oh really? You do that.'

And before I hear comments from people saying 'oh I have made over 100 orders from hobbyking, its all fine'. Well that's your experience, and obviously I have been treated completely different. I eventually gave in to the ransom (something I could barely afford, don't judge) and paid the man, I'm awaiting delivery and it better be good. I hope I get compensated, at least as a good-will gesture. I would have taken this further but I have nowhere near the money to do so.

Thank you for reading, I hope you take what I have said on board and never buy from hobbyking again (especially if you are from the UK).

And for heavens sake, order from another website.
kumarank is offline Find More Posts by kumarank
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by William A
Tacoma, WA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,313 Posts
So with ALL the other bashing threads on HK, why again did you buy from them ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Oct 05, 2014, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by kumarank
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
I only looked into hobbyking on forums, after it had been shipped (a.k.a the point of no return)
kumarank is offline Find More Posts by kumarank
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,919 Posts
The UK customs issue is well known and has been discussed many times.

These 2 threads may be of interest to you. Be sure and read the last several posts in the first URL. Rob, the USHKRep might be able to help you.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=customs
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=customs

Here in the states, customs is a non-issue and the customer service from the USHK Rep is outstanding.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 05, 2014, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by alexraz
Philippines, NCR, QC
Joined Apr 2014
248 Posts
I have to agree with Hoppy. You can see my username all over these forums ranting about HobbyKing and Malaysia Post. HKCSNY made it right and I am satisfied with how he resolved my issue.

The concerns you raised seem to be limited to a couple of countries in Europe. The rest of the world does not have the same problem, making the "Reasons not to buy from HobbyKing" invalid for everyone else. To make sweeping statements is unfair.

You also pointed out that you've had a different experience from other people who do not encounter any problems from this seller. Why try to prevent other people from possibly having a good experience?
alexraz is offline Find More Posts by alexraz
Old Oct 08, 2014, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by HobbyKingCSNYC
United States, NY, Brentwood
Joined Dec 2013
483 Posts
The OP's issue has been resolved... at least to the best of my ability. We're looking into the whole SCS thing and hope to have more detailed info soon.

Rob

HK CS NY
HobbyKingCSNYC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyKingCSNYC
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by rogerx3
rogerx3
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2011
25 Posts
I'm about to send 78 further to what was for me a big order, It leaves me feeling a tad bitter after already paying $55 for postage.
rogerx3 is offline Find More Posts by rogerx3
Last edited by rogerx3; Oct 19, 2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:24 AM
Find More Posts by mick11
United Kingdom, Driffield
Joined May 2014
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerx3 View Post
I'm about to send 78 further to what was for me a big order, It leaves me feeling a tad bitter after already paying $55 for postage.
Blame our greedy government we pay vat and import duty and they even tax the shipping costs. At least you'r not getting ripped off by a middle man so in general you still pay less.
mick11 is offline Find More Posts by mick11
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by startazz
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick11 View Post
Blame our greedy government we pay vat and import duty and they even tax the shipping costs. At least you'r not getting ripped off by a middle man so in general you still pay less.
+1

I agree 100% Mick,i've been buying my RC gear off of HK for around the eight year mark now,even with our greedy government/customs charges my orders still work out to be cheaper from HK than they would from my local hobby shop,all i will add is we just need HK to get a lot more stock into the UK and European warehouses,just to keep the people who think they are not getting a good deal happy.

The first post makes it sounds as though HK are to blame when they should be complaining to the government.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by wasabe58
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Jul 2014
17 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth. I just recently a couple small parts from HK in Hong Kong....
I ordered these parts on a Sunday night (here in the states), I chose DHL Express shipping and the part was in hand by Wed morning. I am very pleased with them and will definitely try them again until they prove otherwise.
wasabe58 is offline Find More Posts by wasabe58
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by Rook62
Team Crash
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Apr 2014
3,246 Posts
Never had an issue with them and never had "some Chinese guy" demand money for customs. Maybe you're not placing your order correctly.
Rook62 is online now Find More Posts by Rook62
Old Nov 22, 2014, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by City74
United States, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Nov 2014
90 Posts
I have been more then happy with my orders from them. Totally love they opened a USA east warehouse. Saves on shipping and I get it fast. Prices are great, shipping rates are fair. Can't ask for much more
City74 is online now Find More Posts by City74
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by Scottfils
United States, AZ, Cottonwood
Joined Jul 2014
107 Posts
Have waited more than 3 months to get my parts before. Other orders have been on time. Just recently received the wrong parts order. With all the order checking before they ship I would think that would never happen. Will only buy from HobbyKing USA. They do not stock enough parts though.
Scottfils is online now Find More Posts by Scottfils
Old Nov 23, 2014, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by Hermani
Quad and foam adept
The Netherlands, OV, Delden
Joined Apr 2014
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKingCSNYC View Post
The OP's issue has been resolved... at least to the best of my ability. We're looking into the whole SCS thing and hope to have more detailed info soon.

Rob

HK CS NY
Have had to pay that same Chinese man as well. I always have to remember to select another means of shipment.

The text from the email was:
"We are glad to inform you that your parcel order from Hobby King had arrived at our Europe hub station. Your parcel had been cleared from EU region by bulk declaration under one consolidated shipment in order to minimize the clearance costs. Now the Parcel is ready for dispatch to you and waiting for your payment settle by Paypal as follows"

So I assumed I paid for due EU customs tax. However, the email is not really clear about it..

Now I will just order large orders from the EU warehouse only so I know what I will have to pay. Small orders (under € 22) are exempt from EU tax.
Hermani is offline Find More Posts by Hermani
Last edited by Hermani; Nov 23, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by startazz
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,955 Posts
Reasons not to buy from Hobbyking. (New buyers READ)

In reply to the thread title.

The reason too buy from HK are way to many to write down here on this thread,plus i'm a little to busy to mention all of them but here are a couple.

Prices are cheap and hard to beat,

Most of all my RC needs are all on one website,

Good & helpful discussions on their product pages,

Reviews on product pages,

The list can go on and on but I don't have the time.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz