HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2015, 04:10 PM
A Newbie
Joined Nov 2014
145 Posts
Discussion
Neighborhood Flying

Does anybody have any recommendations on smaller planes I can fly around my neighborhood? I have had the champ, ember 2, and umx radian. I no longer have those planes. I have the sport cub S which is pretty small and is fun.

Any recommendations on anything else that is easy to fly and not too big?

Thanks
jobinseattle is offline Find More Posts by jobinseattle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2015, 04:29 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,824 Posts
Delta Ray?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 07, 2015, 04:44 PM
A Newbie
Joined Nov 2014
145 Posts
I was thinking about the Delta Ray. Since it has SAFE I have a pretty good chance of keeping it out of the neighbors yard.
jobinseattle is offline Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Old Jan 07, 2015, 06:04 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,385 Posts
HobbyKing has a few small EPP ( very tough foam ) planes that are fun to mess around with . If you order from the USA west warehouse in Tacoma , you can just pick it up at the warehouse !

NutBall :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...60mm_PNF_.html

HobbyKing Product Video - HK Nutball Fun Flyer EPP 460mm (2 min 41 sec)

Fidget ( Magnum Reloaded ) :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Magnum Reloaded in Action (2 min 27 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jan 07, 2015, 08:37 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
960 Posts
I fly on the street the back yard front yard all over near the house. No one has ever said anything bad to me. Most people around here like to watch. But Ido not fly my big planes here only small light plane that can not hurt much. Going from a plane thats 1.3 oz like the champ to a sharp yard dart at 17.6 oz around the house. I love my little night vapor it gets flow more than any other plane. Night flying alot in the middle of the night when the streets are empty. Front yard, back yard even in the house before. and most days when it is dark for my micros there's no wind .
i think the DR is a great plane for a big field .
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by papadwight; Jan 16, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 04:06 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,289 Posts
Night Vapor is a great little plane. It's been stormy out lately so I've been flying mine around inside my house. With the landing gear removed and a 60mAh battery it can really float.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jan 17, 2015, 09:05 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,221 Posts
Now I'm the awkward guy who would say, don't fly around your neighborhood.

Unless you mean in a local park, or field, etc, that does not have roads, buildings, that you will fly over or land on.

The number of times I have seen the comments like, "it's only a small foamie, it wont hurt anyone to fly in my street ..".

Probably correct if you accidentally fly into someone below head level.

But, accidentally fly into the path of a passing car of bike, and there is a risk of the driver, rider, swerving.
You know it's only a model plane, the drive, rider, may have only a split second to decide what it is and the danger level. A bit like, - is the object suddenly coming towards you a soft ball or a round stone, chances are you will duck anyway.

Yes, I'm a spoilsport old fart who want to stop people having fun. But, I also just want the potential victims to continue having their fun as well.

By all means fly in your neighborhood park, neighborhood sports field, somewhere safe. It also means you can start to fly descent sized models that the other kids will be envious of.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:52 PM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Now I'm the awkward guy who would say, don't fly around your neighborhood.

Unless you mean in a local park, or field, etc, that does not have roads, buildings, that you will fly over or land on.

The number of times I have seen the comments like, "it's only a small foamie, it wont hurt anyone to fly in my street ..".

Probably correct if you accidentally fly into someone below head level.

But, accidentally fly into the path of a passing car of bike, and there is a risk of the driver, rider, swerving.
You know it's only a model plane, the drive, rider, may have only a split second to decide what it is and the danger level. A bit like, - is the object suddenly coming towards you a soft ball or a round stone, chances are you will duck anyway.

Yes, I'm a spoilsport old fart who want to stop people having fun. But, I also just want the potential victims to continue having their fun as well.

By all means fly in your neighborhood park, neighborhood sports field, somewhere safe. It also means you can start to fly descent sized models that the other kids will be envious of.
+1

If you must fly in your small yard adjacent to neighbors the Vapor/Playmate/Ember types are all that would be "safe". And these, not in the street or yards where someone might wander into the flight area. Yes, it restricts your flying venues, but the possibility of serious injury or property damage trumps your convenience.

That said, there are many places where those small (Flyzone/Parkzone micros) can be flown responsibly.
iwlf is online now Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Jan 17, 2015, 03:21 PM
Joined Apr 2013
960 Posts
That what makes the night vapor so nice. No one outside 2am just no wind most times a street light and a great landing strip. I fly kids next door in there yard. Never fly when lots of kids near. Many well just pick up or walk over and get your plane. There are many days now no kids out side . This is also about they lightest plane out there you can run into wall in house and never where it hit. But still I don't fly near little heads and eyes. This is one of the only planes I payed full price and not sorry. I fly it with a champ control don't need my bigger radio with this plane.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Happy RTF Nobody Just Flying
Old Jan 17, 2015, 05:26 PM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
387 Posts
The Night Vapor is a cool little plane. I was a band director and the JROTC sgt and I would fly them in my band room and do carrier landings on the xylophone!
iwlf is online now Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Jan 18, 2015, 05:30 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,812 Posts
slow bipe
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...XkGsBK6luQR85A
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Jan 18, 2015, 07:48 PM
Canada, BC, Terrace
Joined Mar 2014
77 Posts
Small planes flying in yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC View Post
I agree that small planes should only be flown in parks, school grounds, playfields and not in most residential sized lots. If you have a rather large lot then I would not object to the small planes being flown there.

As to the small planes being flown in a typical residential yard, no, too easily flown onto the road, , even a small gust of wind can easily cause these small planes to
fly erratic . Before you have gained control you may well have driven into someones windshield.
DonRhone is offline Find More Posts by DonRhone
Old Jan 18, 2015, 08:47 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone View Post
I agree that small planes should only be flown in parks, school grounds, playfields and not in most residential sized lots. If you have a rather large lot then I would not object to the small planes being flown there.

As to the small planes being flown in a typical residential yard, no, too easily flown onto the road, , even a small gust of wind can easily cause these small planes to
fly erratic . Before you have gained control you may well have driven into someones windshield.
Good point
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Jan 20, 2015, 07:13 PM
Joined Apr 2013
960 Posts
Around the house flying with a plane that's under 2 oz is better light and not going to hurt much. If not flow around people. .most times ?I fly out back runway in my backyard and a large flying field right there. I well fly out front but not much. The .78 oz night vapor gets flow at night in the street when no one is around. from my back deck you see the flying field. The other standard trainers are a lot of plane next to what I fly at home,
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by papadwight; Jan 20, 2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:21 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,289 Posts
I occasionally fly my Night Vapor in the street in front of my house. I do it during times when there is little traffic, usually late evening and I can see/hear a car coming all the way down the hill with plenty of time to land in my yard. It really depends on the neighborhood, if you live in a quiet cul de sac it's an entirely different situation than if your driveway meets a busy arterial. I figure if kids can ride their Big Wheels around out there, I can fly a tiny micro plane.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S