Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopedaddy View Post
Rubio, Can you repair that?
I'm guessing your talking about Ed's zero wing. Yes you can. But Ed's wing has been broken before. I told him not to do it again. The tails have been broken twice too. It was time. We took it to my house. Flipped it over and took the wing toay lay off. I had a set of zero wings sheeted and sanded. All they need is maybe an hour more and they are ready to cut and install torque rods. They will be Ed's new wings.

To repair that you strip the Solartex route three channels in the wing to the top skin. The use dome carbon rod / end grain balsa / lite Ply / ( Popsicle) sticks. ( in my zero). Insert in channel and mix up some epoxy and cabosil to fill the slots. Bondo smooth and recover and paint.
If you have one come to build night. We will put you on the right track. That's what's it's for. To work together and share ideas.

Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, Trabuco Canyon
Joined Aug 2008
1,622 Posts
Today was much of the same, sanding, more sanding and more sanding and of course primer. Now that I am close to painting the P51 with a fiberglass fuse and carbon wing along with solartex on the vertical and horizontal stablizer and have read all of the posts regarding paint which is all over the place as far as particular brand or type. I am looking for a bright white, so your suggestions would be welcome to the brand and color differences. So please give your opinions.....................

Thanks
Rick T. is online now Find More Posts by Rick T.
Old Today, 12:25 AM
Joined May 2011
7,662 Posts
Nice Work Rick. Seems like I spend my life sanding and sanding.
I just whacked that fin. Now more sanding. I have had good luck with the rustoleum prime and paint 2X.
I like it. I don't like krylon. Of course I like the auto paint best. Any of the cheep paints need at least four days to cure before taping.
My best advice is don't rush.
Take your time. (. Critical to good painting)
Don't mix paints.
Buy good tape.
( very important)

Rubio
Old Today, 12:54 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,739 Posts
3 sets of wings ready for some hand sanding.
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Today, 08:39 AM
Joined May 2011
7,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
3 sets of wings ready for some hand sanding.
Looks GREAT TOM !! You will knock that out in no time.

Rubio
Old Today, 12:39 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,622 Posts
Thanks Rubio........Hopefully today will be the last coat of primer , my hands are tired. After the final coat of primer I will lightly sand with 320, then the first very light coat of paint and I mean a very light coat, which I will allow to dry for a day or two prior to adding more coats. Do you do any sanding after each coat of paint ? or just continue to add light coats ?
Old Today, 12:52 PM
Joined May 2011
7,662 Posts
That's why I would never use that splooge mix on my tails or fillets. The amigo Bondo sands great. But I still spend nights sanding and sanding. I'm not good at putting it on. Then I attack the Bondo with aggressive paper. Good quality 80 grit. The stuff Tom posted is good. If you keep using it you don't have to switch paper and the high build fills the scratches. Another reason I don't paint the Mylar. I'm too lazy (1) and I sand the crap out of things. I would sand all that paint anyway.
If you don't like to Sand pss building won't appeal to you.
I still have three left sand. Imagine how I feel!!!
I pretty much spray one color per day. I use light coats let them flash for 15 to 20 minutes then hit them again. Rustoleum I let cure for five days. auto or Tamiya I tape it the next day. That's why I like them they dry hard and fast.

Rubio
Old Today, 01:07 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,622 Posts
I do not mind sanding at all, will continue til my hands hurt, then rest and sand some more.. It is looking better and better, really not much sanding left. Will go to 60 grit. Since it is going to rain from Saturday til next week painting won't work anyway. I will wait to paint once the rain clears and it warms up. Any particular brand of Auto Paint you recommend ? The auto shop is on the corner of Marguerite and the Fwy if I am not mistaken.
Old Today, 05:39 PM
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined May 2010
722 Posts
Lilly's is 10-1 4 a little south

3:30 PM 10-12 now

Ron
laser100 is online now Find More Posts by laser100
Last edited by laser100; Today at 06:34 PM.
Old Today, 07:18 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
7,013 Posts
Call me when it's 25+ !!
timmig is online now Find More Posts by timmig