HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:41 PM
Whoops was it always in 2 bits
United Kingdom, England, Rotherham
Joined Oct 2008
1,042 Posts
Discussion
Yellow Jacket Pro 5.8GHz 500mW, need aerial advice?

Hi All,

With a fear of asking the "how far will it go mister" question, I really need to know

I have this 500mW version yet at 750ft (0.228 Km) with clear line of sight I start to loose signal, I'm I expecting too much?

As the equipment is 2nd hand I am not sure if it is faulty or if indeed I am using the best / correct aerials for the equipment.

Attached to the receiver I have what I think is a pair of directional "patch" aerials. I have no idea of the DB rating as there seems to be very little markings except for the operating frequency and the manufacture date.

Attached to the Transmitter the is just one aerial, which essentially is a piece of wire (to the untrained eye). This has some markings "Times Microwave Systems 68999 PH +1 (2C 3)", not sure if this means anything? Again I am not sure of the DB rating.

Any help / guidance to good info for my equipment would be appreciated.

Edit: I do have the 3 original aerials (like the ones on top of a 2.4GHz Tx), with the yellow ring. Would it be better to use these or maybe a mixture of the aerials?

Cheers
Kev
bionicbone is online now Find More Posts by bionicbone
Last edited by bionicbone; Mar 12, 2014 at 12:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:45 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,042 Posts
Anyone?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:33 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
940 Posts
Different antennas should help you achieve better results. Start here and research the 5.8GHz Omni and the 5.8GHz Helical.
If you are handy around the shop then search for build tutorials as you can make these yourself. Onmi tutorial here. Helical tutorial.

Xwing
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:39 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbone View Post
Hi All,

With a fear of asking the "how far will it go mister" question, I really need to know

I have this 500mW version yet at 750ft (0.228 Km) with clear line of sight I start to loose signal, I'm I expecting too much?

As the equipment is 2nd hand I am not sure if it is faulty or if indeed I am using the best / correct aerials for the equipment.

Attached to the receiver I have what I think is a pair of directional "patch" aerials. I have no idea of the DB rating as there seems to be very little markings except for the operating frequency and the manufacture date.

Attached to the Transmitter the is just one aerial, which essentially is a piece of wire (to the untrained eye). This has some markings "Times Microwave Systems 68999 PH +1 (2C 3)", not sure if this means anything? Again I am not sure of the DB rating.

Any help / guidance to good info for my equipment would be appreciated.

Edit: I do have the 3 original aerials (like the ones on top of a 2.4GHz Tx), with the yellow ring. Would it be better to use these or maybe a mixture of the aerials?

Cheers
Kev
Yellow Jacket is little dated but high quality equipment. You should get decent results with a good set of modern CP antennas.

Having said that even the worst matched patches should give you much more than 750feet range.

Are you sure VTx and VRx are on the same channel?
I say get a pair of new antennas first (make sure you buy a cloverleaf for the TX with Circular Polarization on same direction) and if it doesn't work get a new VTx/RTx set. Boscam are good ones in 5.8Ghz.

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is online now Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:06 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbone View Post
This just the type of the coaxial used to build this simple dipole...
http://www.timesmicrowave.com/docume...es/TFT-401.pdf

Get a proper VTx as a mismatched antenna takes away not only the performance but it can damage your transmitter too.

On closer look your patches look of very decent build quality - definitely a commercial design.

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is online now Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
Different antennas should help you achieve better results. Start here and research the 5.8GHz Omni and the 5.8GHz Helical.
If you are handy around the shop then search for build tutorials as you can make these yourself. Onmi tutorial here. Helical tutorial.

Xwing
Hi xwingnut,

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

I like the sound of making some myself.

Cheers
Kev
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:29 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Yellow Jacket is little dated but high quality equipment. You should get decent results with a good set of modern CP antennas.

Having said that even the worst matched patches should give you much more than 750feet range.

Are you sure VTx and VRx are on the same channel?
I say get a pair of new antennas first (make sure you buy a cloverleaf for the TX with Circular Polarization on same direction) and if it doesn't work get a new VTx/RTx set. Boscam are good ones in 5.8Ghz.

/Dimitrios
Hi Dimitrios,

Thanks for the reply.

With the little I know on this subject i too think I should be getting more than the 750 feet. I've started doing a little reading now and maybe the way a stretch the Tx aerial along a metal quad arm held on with pieces of electricians tape may not have helped. I'll change this first.

As for channel, I think I need to do more research. My equipment keeps changing channel. Each time it does this it beeps, sometime there a many beeps in a quick succession. However, the instructions do mention setting the channel so I'll dig around and just check that out.

The picture under the 750 feet mark though is good.

Cheers
Kev
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:40 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post

On closer look your patches look of very decent build quality - definitely a commercial design.

/Dimitrios

I think all the equipment would have been classed as "excellent in its day". The previous owner was shooting some professional TV stuff at the time. However, I question that just buying expensive equipment at the time and throwing it together thinking because it cost a lot of money is not the same as finding the best matched equipment.

I have my fingers crossed that the main gear is not damaged due to mismatch aerials.

Thanks Again.
Kev