Does anybody know about the FlyZone Calypso
Sbach and Extra is offline Find More Posts by Sbach and Extra
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2016, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,593 Posts
Hi, S&E.

There are a few threads about the Calypso including the one in the link below. It's a pretty good general purpose glider. It won't float quite as well as a Radian or wood floater but it will soar in light lift, handles a bit of wind better than some, and has the optional flaps so one can use all kinds of camber changing. There have been some isolated electronic issues, servos and ESC, and I'm not a fan of the plastic motor mount or the spinner attachment but the customer service has been excellent. If I were buying one today I would get the kit version, no electronics, and would build a plywood motor mount right from the start.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=calypso

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 03, 2016, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
2,328 Posts
I personally feel the Calypso is an all around better sailplane then the Radian. The problem is that it takes some work to get it there. A Calypso with the reccomended battery is very nose heavy. If trimmed for level flight with power on then it needs a good amount of up trim for soaring. If trimmed for soaring then it will want to climb like crazy with the power on and the soaring performance is greatly affected. I went down in battery size to an 850 mah pack and set up a mix that applies a little down elevator while under power. The smaller battery not only reduced the wing loading but puts the CG closer to where is needs to be. I only fly mine in ALES contests where we get a launch height of 200M then have to soar for another 9.5 minutes so in my case the priority is on soaring flight. If you would prefer to fly mostly with the motor on then the Radian may be a better choice.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Feb 03, 2016, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,593 Posts
I agree, exf3bguy. The only place the Radian probably has a slight edge is in dead air sink rate but the Calypso is still darned good. The very first flight with my buddy's was just before dark with no wind at all. His was the 1st version so it needed a whole bunch of up trim to glide but I was still able to work a little bubble of lift about 50 feet above a baseball diamond for a couple minutes.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh