This thread is privately moderated by SoloProFan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 07, 2015, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by Fionn
Joined Sep 2014
9 Posts
EPIC FAQ POST sir!!!! Differential video should be a must watch for all in rc cars lol!!!!
Fionn is offline Find More Posts by Fionn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2015, 02:16 PM
nmb
Find More Posts by nmb
nmb
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
I just read all 6 pages and think the FAQ are great for a newbie like me.

I'm trying to revive my old kyosho mini inferno half eight after toasting the electronics in it several years ago

Since this model the receiver/esc/steering servo control was all in one, everything has to be changed,

already got a new micro servo, and now I'm looking for the esc and receiver solution. esc I'm thinking of a cheap brushless esc/motor comb and here resides doubt one. I see combos with 4200 and 7200 motors. wich is the right one? I don't need a super fast car since is for my son play on dirt but too much torque could strip the diffs right?

on the receiver since the original one was 27mhz I'm thinking of a new cheap 2.4ghz remote and receiver instead of buying and old 27mhz receiver.

second doubt. batteries. mini inferno runs on 8 cell nimh saddle pack. all I see is using 7.2v nimh ou 11.1 lipo. can I run my old 9.6 nimh saddle pack?

thanks in advance
nmb is offline Find More Posts by nmb
Old Dec 24, 2015, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Fan of just about anything RC
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
22,089 Posts
A 4200 kv motor on 2S LiPo would be a good starting point. You could also run on NiMh, like 6 cell, but it will limit performance. A LiPo gives a more equal performance throughout the entire battery, where the NiMh will be faster in the first minutes, but sag more, as it gets depleted.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2016, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by dadio
United Kingdom, Surrey
Joined Jan 2013
2,158 Posts
Excellent guide ,thanks for all the useful tips !
dadio is online now Find More Posts by dadio
Old Jan 09, 2016, 02:41 PM
nmb
Find More Posts by nmb
nmb
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
A 4200 kv motor on 2S LiPo would be a good starting point. You could also run on NiMh, like 6 cell, but it will limit performance. A LiPo gives a more equal performance throughout the entire battery, where the NiMh will be faster in the first minutes, but sag more, as it gets depleted.
thanks! I'm waiting on a 4800kv combo and 2S lipo
nmb is offline Find More Posts by nmb
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by Terremotorival10
Joined Jan 2016
10 Posts
I would add onto the battery section. A talk about voltage. Just to help clear up what it does for your motor and draw in terms of performance with a 7.4v 2s or 11.1v. 3s. Etc.
Terremotorival10 is offline Find More Posts by Terremotorival10
Old Feb 10, 2016, 02:05 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
22,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terremotorival10 View Post
I would add onto the battery section. A talk about voltage. Just to help clear up what it does for your motor and draw in terms of performance with a 7.4v 2s or 11.1v. 3s. Etc.
I'll see what I can do, without going into detail too much
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2016, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by vonDutch
Joined Apr 2016
1 Posts
very helpful

thanks for all the time put into this article. I'm only about a year into this hobby, keeping two mini-t's on the road. I've seen many helpful tips I've learned searching the web combined into this here post. Just what a starting enthusiast needs.

what I haven't seen is the difference in pinions and gears 48dp 64dp and such. I know not to use different ones together, but what would the benefit be changing from 48dp to 64dp?

how about adding the trick to boil plastic parts for a few minutes to make them less brittle?

I also had trouble refitting o rings in my shocks. there's a cap that comes off at the piston side as well. there tiny, 18th scale.
I would love more info on refilling and rebuilding shocks.

thanks again for all the information provided
vonDutch is offline Find More Posts by vonDutch
Old Apr 25, 2016, 05:32 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
22,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonDutch View Post
thanks for all the time put into this article. I'm only about a year into this hobby, keeping two mini-t's on the road. I've seen many helpful tips I've learned searching the web combined into this here post. Just what a starting enthusiast needs.

what I haven't seen is the difference in pinions and gears 48dp 64dp and such. I know not to use different ones together, but what would the benefit be changing from 48dp to 64dp?

how about adding the trick to boil plastic parts for a few minutes to make them less brittle?

I also had trouble refitting o rings in my shocks. there's a cap that comes off at the piston side as well. there tiny, 18th scale.
I would love more info on refilling and rebuilding shocks.

thanks again for all the information provided

I'll see what I can do. Boiling plastics is not something that I would encourage beginners to do, as it can be dangerous, and not all plastics respond well to such a treatment.

Some more info on gears could be interesting, I'll probably add that asap. Briefly said, smaller teeth (higher dp number) means less noise, more smooth, but also more fragile. You tend to see 64dp on 1/12 indoor racers, 48dp on 1/10 scale, and 32dp on 1/8, as a general rule.

Best way to fill shocks also depends on the type, but I think a few general pointers and some links to tutorials, could be added.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by emu26
Joined Apr 2016
65 Posts
SoloProFan this is an awesome thread, thank you, and all of the other contributors for the great info, it's a pity I didn't read this before I started dabbling in RC.

I apologise if I have missed it but could you add some stuff on sensored versus non sensored brushless motors? Exactly what is being sensored, pros and cons for both, can you run sensored esc with non sensored motor etc.

Thanks again, really helpful.
emu26 is offline Find More Posts by emu26
Old Apr 30, 2016, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by losi man
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Oct 2015
1,340 Posts
sensor-ed motor.. there are 3 pickups on a sensor-ed motor that tell the esc the location of stator in motor housing in relationship to windings. that allows esc to apply power to a certain set of poles..usually a fast acting motor to users trigger..

non sensor-ed.. some say it lags or stalls not so reactive to your trigger..I find very little of this by adjusting endbell position or timing same thing..

as for running a non sensor-ed motor with a sensor-ed esc ..some can other can not usually states this info in manual or the listing where its sold.
losi man is online now Find More Posts by losi man
Old Apr 30, 2016, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by emu26
Joined Apr 2016
65 Posts
thanks losi man.
emu26 is offline Find More Posts by emu26
Old May 01, 2016, 05:52 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
22,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
SoloProFan this is an awesome thread, thank you, and all of the other contributors for the great info, it's a pity I didn't read this before I started dabbling in RC.

I apologise if I have missed it but could you add some stuff on sensored versus non sensored brushless motors? Exactly what is being sensored, pros and cons for both, can you run sensored esc with non sensored motor etc.

Thanks again, really helpful.

Glad to hear you found this interesting to read, emu26. And although I did add some questions about cogging on brushless sensorless motors, and how to reverse rotation direction on sensorless and sensored setups, I didn't cover the question of sensored vs sensorless directly.

LM already gave an explanation, but it's now also added to the first posting. Also noticed I had a couple of questions with the same number, so also corrected that.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2016, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by mkeveney
Just a test glide...
Oakland, CA
Joined Aug 2005
342 Posts
Great guide, but here's a question you missed:

What are the extra channels on a 3 or 4 channel radio used for?

-Matt
mkeveney is offline Find More Posts by mkeveney
Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by tun0
Joined Jan 2015
47 Posts
There's not really a common use for those.
tun0 is offline Find More Posts by tun0